Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Ok I'll let them know. :giggles:

Ok grate!

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't realise I had to read it, I thought I just had to tick the box like you do with anything else you want to do on line.

Lol yes I just ticked the box without reading it too. No other option if one want's to carry on reading the forum.

No doubt the readership dropped 20% overnight.  

On 23/11/2018 at 09:51, Athy said:

Thank you for suggesting what I should and should not do.

I take it that you have never exceeded a road speed limit, then?

No worms were decanted in my post, nor was any rage outed.

.....isn't a Mod's job a bit like a cricket umpire?

There to see the rules are kept, not to play an active take part in the game, but rely on players to know the rules - and thus to respond to a plea from the players about a breach of the rules.

I learnt this as an infant, playing cricket with rudimentary bats and stumps. When you are 'out' you voluntarily give the bat to the next player.

In the instance I recall, the batsman, who was the son of a player in the village cricket team (a bit of superior knowledge here) - was well and truly caught - but just stood at the crease waiting to be bowled again.

The umpire, happened to be the dad of the batsman - so suspicions of favoritism here. 

"He's right to stay in until I declare him out - and I will - when you appeal for a decision"

All together ....."Ow zat'.....!

• Greenie 1

On 23/11/2018 at 16:21, Athy said:

PARTICIPLE!

Here's one:

"Having finished our breakfast, our boat set off down the canal."

- This is nonsensical because the boat didn't finish our breakfast. The participle "having" has no subject, hence it is "dangling". Changing the sentence to:

"Having finished our breakfast, we set off in our boat down the canal"

makes it sensible.

Was it down, relative to level, or down relative to N or S, or the way you held your map? - maybe 'along the canal' is less ambiguous.

However, your point is made, and I know what you mean.

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Was it down, relative to level, or down relative to N or S, or the way you held your map? - maybe 'along the canal' is less ambiguous.

However, your point is made, and I know what you mean.

Of course you do! As do most of us, which makes it even more remarkable (or does it?)  that Lynn Truss sold more than 1.5 million copies of 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' in the US.

Edited by Tanglewood
to correct a missing capital letter

On 24/11/2018 at 18:43, Tanglewood said:

Of course you do! As do most of us, which makes it even more remarkable (or does it?)  that Lynn Truss sold more than 1.5 million copies of 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' in the US.

Good book, I've got a copy.

On 24/11/2018 at 18:43, Tanglewood said:

Is it a veggie cookbook, I could do with one as all my veggie soups tend to taste much the same, currently waiting for today;s pottage, its on the hob, simmering gently as we speak.

On 22/11/2018 at 13:43, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh him. Someone told me the other day he threw his toys out of the pram there and demanded his account be deleted. About the time he reappeared here after a long absence, if this is the same bloke. Which it might not be. 

That's about the top and bottom of it

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is it a veggie cookbook, I could do with one as all my veggie soups tend to taste much the same, currently waiting for today;s pottage, its on the hob, simmering gently as we speak.

Guest at a family buffet a few years ago: "Is there anything here that doesn't have dead animals in it?

Me: "You can easily tell, because if it tastes good, it does".  

On 24/11/2018 at 17:31, Horace42 said:

down relative to N or S, or the way you held your map?

But there's only one way to hold a map - the right way up!

10 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

That's about the top and bottom of it

Actually it isn't.

You don't have to 'demand' your account on Thunderboat is deleted at all.

You just do it yourself when you have had enough of the place. And no toys were thrown in the process either. So I would be grateful if you and MTB would get your facts straight.

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think you're prolly joking, but just in case there is some reality to it, have you tried adding miso to your stock, I love soup and surprisingly when I had to stop eating gluten I also had to change some of my recipes and this lead me to find miso which is amazing; the first time I tried it I thought is was a bit strange but by the second time I knew this would by a life long love affair. Don't tell MrSmelly but I also eat quite a lot of seaweed (also a result of having to go gluten free) so perhaps I shouldn't be trusted with recipe ideas ?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is nothing in my post that is not factually correct.

I'm afraid if you are referring to me which I strongly suspect you are then there is, or at least you have been misinformed which is unsurprising really given it wouldn't be the first time incorrect information about me has been privately discussed and exchanged previously, both on here and TB. 

If you are not referring to me then I don't know. 

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, MJG said:

I'm afraid if you are referring to me which I strongly suspect you are then there is.

If you are not then I don't know. 

I am referring to you. As my post says, this is what I was told. The person relaying the information may have their facts wrong which is why I carefully worded my post to make it clear this was hearsay. 

The fact remains that this is what I was told. 

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm afraid if you are referring to me which I strongly suspect you are then there is.

If you are not then I don't know. 

I'm not in any way taking sides - but if the fact weren't correct (in reference to you) how do you know he was referring to you and not some body else. I don't know who he was referring to, I'm just playing devils advocate. 

I take it back I was wrong. :huh:

Edited by Tumshie

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am referring to you. As my post says, this is what I was told. The person relaying the information may have their facts wrong which is why I carefully worded my post to make it clear this was hearsay. 

The fact remains that this is what I was told. 

Yes - I realised and edited accordingly, - you have indeed been misinformed.

11 minutes ago, MJG said:

Actually it isn't.

You don't have to 'demand' your account on Thunderboat is deleted at all.

You just do it yourself when you have had enough of the place. And no toys were thrown in the process either. So I would be grateful if you and MTB would get your facts straight.

7 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I'm afraid there is Alyson.

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm not in any way taking sides - but if the fact weren't correct (in reference to you) how do you know he was referring to you and not some body else. I don't know who he was referring to, I'm just playing devils advocate. 

Simple really, and I had ignored it originally until somebody else decided to stir the pot today.

MTB's post.PNG

Edited by MJG

On 22/11/2018 at 13:38, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is not about the Brexit thread specifically. It is about having rules and not enforcing the most of the time, then occasionally enforcing them with no warning. 

Hardly a professional way to run a forum. 

Reasonable enough on a forum run by unpaid volunteers though.

• Greenie 1