Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Only if you dangle your particulate for too long!

PARTICIPLE!

Here's one:

"Having finished our breakfast, our boat set off down the canal."

- This is nonsensical because the boat didn't finish our breakfast. The participle "having" has no subject, hence it is "dangling". Changing the sentence to:

"Having finished our breakfast, we set off in our boat down the canal"

makes it sensible.

Edited by Athy

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Geez, you lot are picky! pickled

I have read this a few times and can't for the life of me see why a mod felt it necessary to change "picky" to "pickled".  As far as I am aware the word picky is not a swear or racist or naughty word.  This is almost getting back to the bad old days when mods felt it necessary to amend (or in their eyes correct) members spelling and grammar. Not good. 

The context was humourous and I don't think could come under the guise of name calling. Even if it had, calling someone or in this case several peple "picky" is hardly an insult.

I just hope we are not going back to the bad old days when folk were afraid to post in case they fell foul of the rules, which may or may not be applied. The forum has survived in the past but it always results in the loss of some good posters and that can't be to the benefit of the forum. 

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

PARTICIPLE!

Here's one:

"Having finished our breakfast, our boat set off down the canal."

- This is nonsensical because the boat didn't finish our breakfast. The participle "having" has no subject, hence it is "dangling". Changing the sentence to:

"Having finished our breakfast, we set off in our boat down the canal"

makes it sensible.

And tomorrows class, "nonsensical v nonsensible".

(No starting a sentence with And!)

But seriously, (probably not allowed), very interesting. I always wish I had paid more attention in English language class.

27 minutes ago, haggis said:

I have read this a few times and can't for the life of me see why a mod felt it necessary to change "picky" to "pickled"

Tis humour! I am not personally bothered on my posts, but can see how it might upset some people.

Edited by rusty69

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And tomorrows class, "nonsensical v nonsensible".

(No starting a sentence with And!)

But seriously, (probably not allowed), very interesting. I always wish I had paid more attention in English language class.

I had no option but to pay attention: my Dad was an English teacher and a writer of English textbooks, so I sort of absorbed grammar etc. on a daily basis at home.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I have read this a few times and can't for the life of me see why a mod felt it necessary to change "picky" to "pickled".  As far as I am aware the word picky is not a swear or racist or naughty word.  This is almost getting back to the bad old days when mods felt it necessary to amend (or in their eyes correct) members spelling and grammar. Not good. 

The context was humourous and I don't think could come under the guise of name calling. Even if it had, calling someone or in this case several peple "picky" is hardly an insult.

I just hope we are not going back to the bad old days when folk were afraid to post in case they fell foul of the rules, which may or may not be applied. The forum has survived in the past but it always results in the loss of some good posters and that can't be to the benefit of the forum. 

haggis

It was a joke, just part of fast action repartee, naughty , I know, I won;t do it again 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

The context was humorous and I don't think could come under the guise of name calling. Even if it had, calling someone or in this case several peple "picky" is hardly an insult.

haggis

The sense of humour bypass went well, then.:D

25 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The option to quote is open to every body and could just as easily have been used.

Quite so. 

I know an articulate and knowledgeble ex-poster from here who left the forum because a mod misunderstood his post and edited it to what he thought the poster ought to have said, and then when challenged refused to reverse his edit. The sheer arrogance of the mod concerned made the chap decide to leave, which is a desperate shame. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite so. 

I know an articulate and knowledgeble ex-poster from here who left the forum because a mod misunderstood his post and edited it to what he thought the poster ought to have said, and then when challenged refused to reverse his edit. The sheer arrogance of the mod concerned made the chap decide to leave, which is a desperate shame. 

Is he any good at rudder fabrication? 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

Don't be silly.  From my post you cannot make such an assumption, any more than a Mod could assume anything about my driving behaviour from an earlier post.  I simply said that you cannot have a category of  'a little bit illegal'.  It is or it isn't .  I recognise that the punishment for different types of illegal behaviour varies, generally relating to the severity of the consequence of that behaviour.  However with speeding there are dreadful unforeseen consequences risked, and therefore it is treated seriously.

In 2015, 217 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 132 people died when someone was travelling too fast for the conditions 1.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf

In 2015, 32 people were killed by shooting.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

White sheep eat more than black ones.

I would like to report this post on the grounds that the person who posted it was deliberately trying to make me feel ignorant/irrlevant/useless stupid........  oh flip the person who  posted is a moderator ..........