Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Oh, no dear reader. A new faction from across the water has entered the arena. Who are these blonde bearded strangers. Watch this space for further updates........ 

That's OK we are just out viking. We only want your women. (most of us anyway, some have rather Greek tastes) 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

- Lord Acton is rarely proven wrong!

Ha! I was planning to quote Lord Acton too in his letter to bishop wossname but decided that would be a little too trite. 

But then I suppose you didn’t quote him either! 

3 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

Now you have opened a can of worms.  This is an outrageous comment.  More people will have died as a result of people exceeding the speed limit by a few mph than have been killed by gun-wielding villains on the streets and roads of the UK. You simply cannot justify the behaviour of the mods by promoting the idea that because an illegal act is widespread it becomes more acceptable  There is no such thing as a little bit illegal any more than there is being a little bit pregnant.  And you cannot compare adherence to the democratically laws of the land with the rules imposed on the membership of a Forum.  The owner of the Forum can make and impose any rules they wish to, and can be as inconsistent as they choose - they may lose members but they can do it.  The rest of us can either choose to play on those terms or not.  But please don't seek to justify in some kind of moralistic way.  This Forum is not a democracy and you should not argue in a way that would be appropriate if it were.. 

So you would be in favour of those who exceed the speed limit being sentenced to life imprisonment?

Even the Home Office (and Lord Advocate in Scotland) accepts the concept of "a little bit illegal", as shown by guidelines regarding speeding offences.

I would suggest that there are probably thousands more speeders than gun toting villains on the streets and roads of the UK at any one time, and that the percentage casualty rate from the latter is far higher.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ha! I was planning to quote Lord Acton too

“Bureaucracy is undoubtedly the weapon and sign of a despotic government, inasmuch as it gives whatever government it serves, despotic power.”

Oh, not that quote!  The other one:

“A liberal is only a bundle of prejudices until he has mastered, has understood, experienced the philosophy of Conservatism.”

:icecream:

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Some one from Inverness would say -

"SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious"

But I couldn't possibly comment.  ?

It turns out there may be Celtic fans on the site, I'm so sorry and this is not necessarily my personal view. :hug:

Edited by Tumshie
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Some one from Inverness would say -

"SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious"

But I couldn't possibly comment.  ?

It turns out there may be Celtic fans on the site, I'm so sorry and this is not necessarily my personal view. :hug:

Wasn't this a genuine, and inspired, newspaper headline when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic a few years back?

Just now, Athy said:

Wasn't this a genuine, and inspired, newspaper headline when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic a few years back?

Yes and they've been singing it with gusto ever since ? They aslo have huge motorway signs flags and banners bumper stickers t-shirts - there's talk some one tried to tattoo it on Nessie one night when she was drunk but I think that one might be and old wife's tail. ?

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

So you would be in favour of those who exceed the speed limit being sentenced to life imprisonment?

Even the Home Office (and Lord Advocate in Scotland) accepts the concept of "a little bit illegal", as shown by guidelines regarding speeding offences.

I would suggest that there are probably thousands more speeders than gun toting villains on the streets and roads of the UK at any one time, and that the percentage casualty rate from the latter is far higher.

Don't be silly.  From my post you cannot make such an assumption, any more than a Mod could assume anything about my driving behaviour from an earlier post.  I simply said that you cannot have a category of  'a little bit illegal'.  It is or it isn't .  I recognise that the punishment for different types of illegal behaviour varies, generally relating to the severity of the consequence of that behaviour.  However with speeding there are dreadful unforeseen consequences risked, and therefore it is treated seriously.

In 2015, 217 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 132 people died when someone was travelling too fast for the conditions 1.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf

In 2015, 32 people were killed by shooting.

1 minute ago, Tanglewood said:

Don't be silly.  From my post you cannot make such an assumption, any more than a Mod could assume anything about my driving behaviour from an earlier post.  I simply said that you cannot have a category of  'a little bit illegal'.  It is or it isn't .  I recognise that the punishment for different types of illegal behaviour varies, generally relating to the severity of the consequence of that behaviour.  However with speeding there are dreadful unforeseen consequences risked, and therefore it is treated seriously.

In 2015, 217 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 132 people died when someone was travelling too fast for the conditions 1.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf

In 2015, 32 people were killed by shooting.

White sheep eat more than black ones.