Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

Just now, haza said:

i just love it rusty69. this should happen that should happen do this do that .why not do this. think of doing that .how about this one ..to be honest i could not give a toss .now before any one says i should ..well i dont ..

Now that's logical.

I think.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mind you, if you split an infinitive as resoundingly as that again I might just get peeved

Sorry! I only got CSE grade 3 English.I wouldn't recognise a split infinitive unless Buzz light year was wearing one.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I take it that was a joke?

To criticize does not necessarily imply "to find fault",

Often criticism involves active disagreement, but it may only mean "taking sides". Constructive criticism will often involve an exploration of the different sides of an issue.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is an effect noted in recruitment whereby the people doing the recruiting tend to recruit people like themselves. This certainly seems to have happened recently with mods here.

Good grief and pain, do you mean there are others like me? Poor sods.

Quite seriously, I can't agree with your assertion - though admittedly I have never met any of the current moddies face to face.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, you're in dead lumber now.:D

Regarding your new thread, I for one hope that it stays afloat, as I have just contributed to it. Because it is not PRIMARILY a political thread, and because it does STRICTLY RELATE TO INLAND WATERWAYS, in my view it is perfectly acceptable.

lol

2 minutes ago, haza said:

mtb become a mod then .. if you feel that strong abt it .but i think you are a bit of a rocker 

one doesnt become a mod one is invited by like minded people

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

To criticize does not necessarily imply "to find fault",

Often criticism involves active disagreement, but it may only mean "taking sides". Constructive criticism will often involve an exploration of the different sides of an issue.

shame it is not allowed

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, haza said:

not been waiting long then mike .now when i say i dont give a toss its becuse i now my place .the longest word i now is elastic ...and thats only  becuse it stretches

'Elastic' has seven letters, 'stretches' has nine!

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

I became a mod, I think I sort of put myself forward, in any role, so I was co-opted rather than head-hunted.

I'm pretty sure "I am my own man" :) 

I asked to join a team, so I have to be more moderate in my postings, I don't think MtB would want such any such restriction.

Well my battle wearied fellow travellers,the melee continues into the afternoon (well, nearly) . 

After the reds initial assault, the blues, after calling in reinforcements have seen off the attack.

Lady G's arrival on her trusty grey stallion Aethenoth and the arrival of the court jester Rusty have diffused the situation.

Do not get complacent though weary reader, the situation could flare up again at any moment.....

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've heard MtB banging on several times about the reasons he does not contribute to forum finance.

He's not obliged to contribute, nor is anyone else, but it would be a problem if everyone who disagrees with anything stopped contributing cash.

I give to several charities who do things I don't agree with, but who serve a worthwhile function. I have stopped giving to one charity who I feel abuses their status. 

It's not about "disagreeing with anything", it is about an organisation (I use the term loosely!) that is funded by the participants and yet sometimes treats the participants as children to be controlled. When the children get a bit irritated by having their ability to say stuff controlled by a few other random and inconsistent people, and with the site "owner" (not of course the site creator) giving the general impression of "my way or the highway" one can understand why the children start to wonder why they are paying to support the status quo.

Of course most of the time it works OK but when it doesn't, eg a particular mod is "having a bad day" the "forum establishment" find it incredibly difficult to say "oops sorry, we got that wrong". Face-saving is the most important rule, it seems.

In my case I used to contribute regularly but stopped when I received a 2-week ban for constructively criticising the way the forum was being run. Since then I have not felt the urge to start contributing again. Just when I do, it seems that a grumpy mod (not always the same one) does something irritating and irrational which reminds me why I don't contribute to this fiefdom.

On the other hand of course it has to be said that the moderators mostly do good stuff and of course they are volunteers. It is just a fundamental problem with giving people power that they can use with impunity - all very well until they are having a bad day. But it's interesting to see how new mods develop - Lord Acton is rarely proven wrong!

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Well there are plenty of insults about you, and me and others, over on Thunderboat. We seem to be causing them much amusement in our childish way.

Corrected. ????

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Well there are plenty of insults about you, and me and others, over on Thunderboat. We seem to be causing them much amusement in their childish way.

Well lots of people here are quite amusing. Many of you do take yourselves way to seriously. I post now on thunderboat as I got fed up with mine, and other posters here being pulled up for grammar etc. When I’ve asked a question on thunderboat I receive the answer without having my post picked to pieces by clever clogs that live on here. Too many know it alls post here.

• Greenie 3