Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not so. The rules state that posts "openly criticising moderating decisions" are not permitted.

Ah so now were are getting closer to the root of the problem.

You as a mod do not perceive most of this thread as "openly criticising moderating decisions", when this is exactly what we all think we are doing!

I'm certainly openly criticising the awarding of my Warning Point the other day. Dan can set up his silly rules that may or may not be applied on any given day but he cannot suppress dissatisfaction with the application of those rules, other than by banning people from posting. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit.
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah so now were are getting closer to the root of the problem.

You as a mod do not perceive most of this thread as "openly criticising moderating decisions",

The expression is certainly open to interpretation because the moddies are individuals and not automatons, yes. As Gerald Ford famously said, "None of us is human". Or was it Ronald Reagan?

No, I don't see most of this thread as open criticism of moderating decisions (boo!. I see it as reasonable discussion (hoorah!).

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I am sorry to hear that - but moddies do have lives outside CWDF, and they can't be on duty all the time. This is especially true if you addressed your concerns to one individual, rather than reporting it (when it would be seen, and one hopes answered, more quickly because reports can be seen by any moddy, not just by the one to whom you wrote).

It was you.

Didnt write to the others as already know that they dont reply.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I don't see most of this thread as open criticism of moderating decisions (boo!. I see it as reasonable discussion (hoorah!).

I notice no one even themselves is defending the mods recent activities

7 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

It was you.

Didn't write to the others as already know that they don't reply.

I notice no one even themselves is defending the mods recent activities.

You have substantiated my point that none of us is permanently on duty. I have had a look, and noticed that your message was sent late last night. I had not yet looked at my private messages this morning.

Your last sentence puzzles me: your use of "defend" suggests that some sort of misdemeanour has been committed.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

You have substantiated my point that none of us is permanently on duty. I have had a look, and noticed that your message was sent late last night. I had not yet looked at my private messages this morning.

Your last sentence puzzles me: your use of "defend" suggests that some sort of misdemeanour has been committed.

Look forward to your reply.

I am not allowed to criticise mod decisions so will refrain from further comment other than that I am a long standing member of the forum and am unhappy for reasons which should be perfectly clear. (As are others) it speaks volumes that you guys are not joining the "reasonable discussion."

Edited by Phoenix_V

I've heard MtB banging on several times about the reasons he does not contribute to forum finance.

He's not obliged to contribute, nor is anyone else, but it would be a problem if everyone who disagrees with anything stopped contributing cash.

I give to several charities who do things I don't agree with, but who serve a worthwhile function. I have stopped giving to one charity who I feel abuses their status. 

I donated a small sum to CWDF, I don't know how much, same as I don't keep a track of every £ spent in a pub, but I like the option of having a drink in a pub  when I want one, and I like the option of coming on this forum.

1 minute ago, Phoenix_V said:

Look forward to your reply.

I am not allowed to criticise mod decisions so will refrain from further comment other than that I am a long standing member of the forum and am unhappy for reasons which should be perfectly clear.

If the reason is that you have not received a reply to a pm sent last night to a particular person  that's ridiculous! 

btw, I don't think it was me :)

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've heard MtB banging on several times about the reasons he does not contribute to forum finance.

He's not obliged to contribute, nor is anyone else, but it would be a problem if everyone who disagrees with anything stopped contributing cash.

I give to several charities who do things I don't agree with, but who serve a worthwhile function. I have stopped giving to one charity who I feel abuses their status. 

I donated a small sum to CWDF, I don't know how much, same as I don't keep a track of every £ spent in a pub, but I like the option of having a drink in a pub  when I want one, and I like the option of coming on this forum.

being unable to criticise and unwilling to give up the bits we do enjoy it is the only protest open to us

2 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I am not allowed to criticise mod decisions so will refrain from further comment other than that I am a long standing member of the forum and am unhappy for reasons which should be perfectly clear.

Yes, 13 years - that's three years longer than me!

Perhaps your new thread on how Brexit affects boaters will help to restore your good humour.

Moderator bashing round 78.

In the blue corner Mr Athy with his armoury of wit, humour and articulate wording easily defends his position against the red corner consisting of a rabble of CWDF regulars.

Can Mr Athy continue to  single handedly hold back the angry rabble,or will reinforcements be summoned? 

Tune in later for a live update from the battlefield........

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If the reason is that you have not received a reply to a pm sent last night to a particular person  that's ridiculous! 

btw, I don't think it was me :)

It wasnt you, see above, the message was because I am unhappy not why I am unhappy

2 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

being unable to criticise and unwilling to give up the bits we do enjoy it is the only protest open to us

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying, anyway, have a nice day, I am not being sarcastic :)

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

In the blue corner Mr Athy with his armoury of wit, humour and articulate wording easily defends his position against the red corner consisting of a rabble of CWDF regulars.

Can Mr Athy continue to  single handedly hold back the angry rabble,or will reinforcements be summoned? 

Can't you use the time machine you are going to steal off Dr Bob in the future to tell us what happens next?

Or is that really bad for your Great-Grandfather or something?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying, anyway, have a nice day, I am not being sarcastic :)

I will try again.

I am unhappy with some recent mod decisions.

Writing privately gets me nowhere.

I am not allowed by the rules to criticise on the forum.

How else can I protest other than by witholding money I would otherwise have paid.

It seems from the figures that others may think the same.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you get a Warning Point?

No, no explanation, nada and as far as I can see no breach of forum rules either

Edited by Phoenix_V

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Can't you use the time machine you are going to steal off Dr Bob in the future to tell us what happens next?

Or is that really bad for your Great-Grandfather or something?

I'm not going back to the future, but don't need a time machine to know how this will end.......Tis history repeating itself.......again!

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You are most kind - but I don't see this thread as "moderator bashing", but rather as an interesting exchange of views, some more heartfelt than others.

Mind you, if you split an infinitive as resoundingly as that again I might just get peeved.

i just love it rusty69. this should happen that should happen do this do that .why not do this. think of doing that .how about this one ..to be honest i could not give a toss .now before any one says i should ..well i dont ..

• Haha 1

Just now, Phoenix_V said:

I take it that was a joke?

No, you're in dead lumber now.:D

Regarding your new thread, I for one hope that it stays afloat, as I have just contributed to it. Because it is not PRIMARILY a political thread, and because it does STRICTLY RELATE TO INLAND WATERWAYS, in my view it is perfectly acceptable.

There is an effect noted in recruitment whereby the people doing the recruiting tend to recruit people like themselves. This certainly seems to have happened recently with mods here.

The mods are all very likeable people but all seem unable to follow a line of reasoning. Probably due to the effect described above. I feel our our objections to modding style are simply not understood, and consequently get brushed away with smart-arse comments instead of being taken on board and properly addressed.