Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

There is no problems with discussion of politics per se, the problem comes about from a few members possessed of a superior intellect who come along with an attitude like they are laying down the law to children and other opinions constitute answering back. Point and counterpoint is debate, point and derision is not.

And the response from Team Mod is then a disproportionate and irrational lashing out at members not involved in the spat that caused the trouble, e.g. me. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But, how do you know this?

Oh, seeing as you ask.

I started a spoof political thread last might and got awarded a second Warning Point for having some fun with it. Did you miss it? The thread was called "Brexit re-loaded", a clever and original title invented by, errr, YOU!

Do it again and I'm banned from the site.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And the response from Team Mod is then a disproportionate and irrational lashing out at members not involved in the spat that caused the trouble, e.g. me. 

Oh, seeing as you ask.

I started a spoof political thread last might and got awarded a second Warning Point for having some fun with it. Did you miss it?

Do it again and I'm banned from the site.

That's so unfair.

I give this thread til 10.45 before locked.

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually what the rules now say is......

Did they always include the last bit, I cant remember.

It seems an almighty fudge to me, and who the **** defines "special circumstances?

The Brexit thread on this forum. has never had any appeal to me. I always thought it would provide a platform for those members who consider themselves experts in anything and everything and I think that may have been the case - we get enough punditry already on all the other subjects which crop up on this forum! I have always assumed that the sentence quoted - "Exceptions to this rule may be made in special circumstances with prior approval of the Site Administration."   

concerned any political subject which may have a direct bearing on waterway matters. However, the political pundits may say that Brexit,  may well fall into that category.

Howard

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

There is no problems with discussion of politics per se, the problem comes about from a few members possessed of a superior intellect who come along with an attitude like they are laying down the law to children and other opinions constitute answering back. Point and counterpoint is debate, point and derision is not.

Yes, but it was the failure of quite a few people to behave like adults that caused the ban in the first place.  Of course, once introduced,  this was almost immediately flouted by a moderator started thread............

The debate can go on forever about whether allowing discussion of politics, religion, race or whatever on a canal forum is welcome or not, but my view has always been that if there is a rule it should be stuck to and fairly moderated.

It is the total lack of consistency or transparency on this matter that causes me not to currently contribute financially to the forum.  If this matter were to ever get properly sorted out then I would.  I'm not holding my breath though!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

That's so unfair.

I give this thread til 10.45 before locked.

Yes poor me. I'm SOOOOOO hard done by,  I might even sulk about it for a bit.

Actually no, I'll just carry on moaning about it. I LIKE moaning about terrible injustices, and grossly disproportionate punishments, innit.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, but it was the failure of quite a few people to behave like adults that caused the ban in the first place.  Of course, once introduced,  this was almost immediately flouted by a moderator started thread............

The debate can go on forever about whether allowing discussion of politics, religion, race or whatever on a canal forum is welcome or not, but my view has always been that if there is a rule it should be stuck to and fairly moderated.

It is the total lack of consistency or transparency on this matter that causes me not to currently contribute financially to the forum.  If this matter were to ever get properly sorted out then I would.  I'm not holding my breath though!

Same here. I used to contribute handsomely but I stopped due to stupid, inconsistent modding decisions. Particularly me getting my first Warning Point for no rule infringement at all. A mod just didn't like my post.

The issue foe me is not whether political threads should be allowed, but Rules being issued then ignored for long periods by Team Mod, then irrationally enforced without notice.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

No, you are confusing with SmartGauge discussion surely?

Oh you mean the Smartgauge is a joke, and I fell for it?!

Ohhhhh I SEEEEEE!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And it is still funny.?

Nah it was only funny the first 799 times....

• Haha 1

Just now, Sir Nibble said:

Agreed, apart from perhaps the bit about superior intellect, this being the self-perception of the few, rather than being a divine fact. I also received a warning point which on reflection, was deserved. I guess everyone has their limit, I'd grown tired of the personal attacks, and my olive branches were rejected.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats an " eco fan "?

It's a special secret heat generator built from alien technology.

We pretend that the stove powers them because the oil companies don't want the secret to get out, and we don't get visited by the black helicopters.

We also all like bacofoil headwear.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Apostrophe catastrophe!
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

But surely the Eco-fan thread is the same joke told 800 times over, in 800 slightly different ways...?

Indeed, the old ones always get retold..

..... anyway i don't think you should criticise the mods

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

but Rules being issued then ignored for long periods by Team Mod, then irrationally enforced without notice.

when all they are doing is following CRT's protocol!

36 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

ISTR that the Brexit thread was given a temporary stay of execution many, many months ago but was to be kept under review.

Shock, Horror, misbehaviour has had consequences. My 3-year-old grandchildren know that.

Missing the point by a country mile. 

1 minute ago, haza said:

would it be any big deal to get banned from this site .to some it would.  god knows what the clever bods would have to do .maybe take up knitting 

I would think not. For those seeking answers, they are already there in the database. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

ISTR that the Brexit thread was given a temporary stay of execution many, many months ago but was to be kept under review.

Shock, Horror, misbehaviour has had consequences. My 3-year-old grandchildren know that.

I dont think we should have a Brexit thread on here. I wouldnt contribute to it ?

• Haha 1