Humber Princess and other Big Boats

pearley

Featured Posts

From 1993

Sprotbrough Lock.jpg

Coal loaded at Eastwood penning through Sprotbrough. I think this traffic only lasted a year. 

Astley Coal Staithe.jpg

Astley loading staithe which disappeared when the Aire was rerouted

Humber something at Thorpe Marsh.jpg

Humber something at Thorpe Marsh power station. The station was closed so I think the tanker was uploading lubricating oil from the power station storage tanks. 

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

From 1995

Trentcal at Castleford .jpg

Trentcal at Castleford heading empty to Leeds to load effluent to dump in the North Sea. The remains of the loading gear used to be visible just below Knostrop Lock. 

Dunlin at Fishponds.jpg

Dunlin exiting Fishponds Lock. 

Edited by pearley

Brocodale H unloading at the original gravel Wharf in Leeds, now housing. 

Brocodale H at the original gravel Wharf in Leeds.jpg

I've also have a photo taken after we passed showing the drag line crane used to unload but its a bit dark. 

Edited by pearley

This is not canal but Selby Lock. We came out of the Derwent earlier than we'd should have due to a spring tide but assumed that when we got to Selby it would be slack  water. So we were pushed sideways by the tide and caught the anchor of the freighter which left a don't in the gunnel of the hiring boat we were on. 

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Good pics, thanks.  Not certain but they could be BACAT hopper barges in post 3.

It was definitely coal they were loaded with so I'm sure they would have been normal.pans so as to be unloaded at Ferrybridge. Comparing with the many other pics I have of loaded coal trains the seem the norm. 

Edited by pearley

4 hours ago, pearley said:

Battlestone.jpg

Graveller Battlestone

Humber Renown converted to a graveller.jpg

Humber Renown converted from a tanker to graveller

Farndale at Castleford .jpg

Us waiting to follow Farndale through Castleford 

Its best not to throw a left when exiting that there lock!! I came in there on a flood a few years back having come down from Leeds and entered the lock and went astern and nowt happened!! The drive plate just simply jacked in without prior warning. Lucky wasnt the word!!

• Horror 1

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its best not to throw a left when exiting that there lock!! I came in there on a flood a few years back having come down from Leeds and entered the lock and went astern and nowt happened!! The drive plate just simply jacked in without prior warning. Lucky wasnt the word!!

There's a good clip on YouTube of a barge crossing the junction on a flood.  He gets taken downstream but it's no issue, simply stems into the far bank and gasses it after his stern comes round.  No sweat, he's done it before.....

A few shots from a trip in '88.

We went from Herts, Brum, Manchester, Wigan, Over the Leeds & Liverpool, Leeds, New Junction, Keadby, Lincoln, Nottingham, and back into African Queen country from Leicester.

t6f53l.jpg

10nyutf.jpg

23mrf5z.jpg

2u7w1uo.jpg

ev97yb.jpg

jff329.jpg

2i75kpl.jpg

rivqk6.jpg

vfaxd5.jpg

2ur14z6.jpg

1zmkn52.jpg

This one's been up before - LEEDS MAGNETIC

5clmkg.jpg

Edited by Derek R.
Swop image
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

There's a good clip on YouTube of a barge crossing the junction on a flood.  He gets taken downstream but it's no issue, simply stems into the far bank and gasses it after his stern comes round.  No sweat, he's done it before.....

Yeah but he probably had a proper engine not my poxy little 42 hoss vetus ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Derek R. said:

A few shots from a trip in '88.

We went from Herts, Brum, Manchester, Wigan, Over the Leeds & Liverpool, Leeds, New Junction, Keadby, Lincoln, Nottingham, and back into African Queen country from Leicester.

t6f53l.jpg

10nyutf.jpg

23mrf5z.jpg

2u7w1uo.jpg

ev97yb.jpg

jff329.jpg

2i75kpl.jpg

rivqk6.jpg

vfaxd5.jpg

2ur14z6.jpg

1zmkn52.jpg

This one's been up before - LEEDS MAGNETIC

5clmkg.jpg

I think this painting may be of the same place as your sixth photo?

ED2C319B-802A-4F55-A04A-781E4CEF236C.jpeg