Engine hours

Kevin Stapley

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Our last BMC 1.8 started and ran beautifully from cold or hot. It’s only slightly bad habit was occasionally blowing white smoke rings every two or three seconds as it warmed up. It was rather nice to look at, and when it stopped doing it on starting (and I have no idea why it stopped) I sort of missed it. The engine was at least 10 years old when I bought the boat, and still in it when sold 7 years later. Noisier than the Betas but easier to work on, and cheaper parts.

My boat is 30 years old and has the original BMC 1.8 (I assume it is, it has a plate with the original boat name attached to the engine). No idea how many hours as it doesn't have an hour meter. I was a bit worried by the cold starting as it took a while to start when I was first shown the boat, but it starts fine now - I suspect he just didn't heat the glow plugs.

51 minutes ago, jam said:

I would add that not all my oil changes, I am the second owner. Having said that they do get a tad easier?

I was impressed at just how easy the oil change was on mine - no crawling underneath like with a car, and given I have a trad it all happens inside in civilization. Can't see any reason not to do them very regularly. Haven't quite worked up the courage to do the fuel filter yet (given tales I've seen of breaking bleed screws).

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's 54 oil changes.

You must be wellgood at them by now...!!!!

I have a similar engine and change the oil religously at 200 hours,  the cost is peanuts. Filter is £4.15 and five litres of oil which is all it takes is about sixteen quid. Mine has done just over four thousand so will be run in by about the end of the year after next. It is completely smoke free at all times including on start up. I soooooooooo luv PROPER Japanese engines.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a similar engine and change the oil religously at 200 hours,  the cost is peanuts. Filter is £4.15 and five litres of oil which is all it takes is about sixteen quid. Mine has done just over four thousand so will be run in by about the end of the year after next. It is completely smoke free at all times including on start up. I soooooooooo luv PROPER Japanese engines.

Me too. My honda motorbike started on kickover first time yesterday, after standing outside for two months without being used. Fantastic!

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Me too. My honda motorbike started on kickover first time yesterday, after standing outside for two months without being used. Fantastic!

I can beat that. A Chrysler Grand Voyager sat unloved for 18 months. I put a charged battery on it, eventually stopped the anti-tamper alarm and went to start it. Fully expecting to flatten the battery I was amazed when it started on the first revolution and ran sweet as a nut. 

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I sold my Beta 43 at 8000 hours. Oil was changed every 200 hours … It would start instantly ..every time even in cold weather without heaters.

I mentioned that on here and another boater had a Beta 43 at 12,000 hours that was fine.  Like any engine, the oil changes and general service is essential.

If you have extra..stacked  pulleys on the front...for example a travel power, it is essential to make a check on the pulley system on the front of the engine. Failure is expensive but can be prevented if you know what to look for. There is a way of checking.

I won't go into that unless that is the case...so get back to me...and I'll tell you how.