Gas prices

Gareth E

Featured Posts

I was charged over £34 for 13kg today, the same place charge me just over £30 2 months ago. A year ago I was paying £27 and  a year before that around £24. Has lpg massively increased in price or have the suppliers decided to start ripping customers off (even more)?.

Yep, £34 each for my last two 13kg bottles in Goole about 6 months ago, but that'll last me over a year so not really an issue.

Edited by Rumsky
Preedicktiveness

14 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Has lpg massively increased in price or have the suppliers decided to start ripping customers off (even more)?.

Calor's own price for a 13Kg is now £34.50.

So unless someone is charging a lot more than that, the resellers are not ripping you off.

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just asked at my local calor supplier

19Kg propane = £24.7

13Kg = £25.90

How d they do that, then?

Calor's own prices to a customer are....

19Kg propane (Unavailable)

13Kg = £34.50

£25.90 sounds incredibly low.  Do they actually have any at that price?

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just asked at my local calor supplier

19Kg propane = £24.7

13Kg = £25.90

Given Alan says the Calor retail price for 13kg is £34.50, he must be selling at wafer thin margins or even as a loss leader.

Is it actually Calor brand gas you are buying and not one of the others e.g. 'Flo Gas'?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given Alan says the Calor retail price for 13kg is £34.50, he must be selling at wafer thin margins or even as a loss leader.

Is it actually Calor brand gas you are buying and not one of the others e.g. 'Flo Gas'?

Tis Calor. He said the price increased a couple of months ago.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Tis Calor. He said the price increased a couple of months ago.

One encounters this once in a while. A calor retailer selling gas at pleasingly and unfeasibly low prices.

Have you asked him why he sells so cheap? I'd be most interested in his rationale. Perhaps he feels like diesel, gas should be sold at low margin for social/political reasons.  

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A friend 'up the road' is an agricultural feed supplier and also a Calor Gas 'agent'.

A couple of years ago he very nearly lost his Calor Agency as he was selling considerably below Calor's RRP.

They don't mind a 'few pence' but 'pounds' less they are most unhappy with.

I wonder if Calor are aware of Rusty's suppliers prices ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They probably are now.So I made a mistake, It is actually £36 quid  bottle!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you asked him why he sells so cheap?

No.Cos.I Assumed it was the going rate.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A friend 'up the road' is an agricultural feed supplier and also a Calor Gas 'agent'.

A couple of years ago he very nearly lost his Calor Agency as he was selling considerably below Calor's RRP.

They don't mind a 'few pence' but 'pounds' less they are most unhappy with.

My impression is that Calor is a very old fashioned company, comfortable charging prices plenty high enough to take full advantage of its near monopoly in the market, and keen to protect its high-margin retail price list. 

The thing that puzzles me is that while competing firms are making good inroads into the bulk LPG storage tank market, none seem able to get more than a toehold on the bottled gas market. Anyone know way this is, given the apparently high margins available in bottled gas?. 

• Greenie 1