Boat stretching

Featured Posts

And Martin might do a 6ft stretch for the price on 8ft, if you ask. He might only have an 8ft minimum as he prices his stretches by the foot IIRC.

Just now, WotEver said:

Who’s going to measure his boat though?

Whose boat is that then? Is there another boat involved too now then, belonging to a bloke?

:P

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the boats in front and behind when he has to do the 'forwards and backwards nudge' to fit in his space.

And swerving off at a tangent again, I wonder if people getting their boats stretched find themselves tempted not to tell CRT, er, immediately. 

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I said something like that. 

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That is an outrageous suggestion. 

I would’ve thought post stretching it would immediately need a boat safety certificate  and therefore insurance companies and CRT would be notified immediately?

5 minutes ago, Water Rat. said:

I would’ve thought post stretching it would immediately need a boat safety certificate  and therefore insurance companies and CRT would be notified immediately?

Not unless your gas piping has been interfered with (but I would take a bet that 99.99% of boaters who have theirs stretched would not have an interim BSS done)

Remember the BSS is nothing to do with the structure of the boat just

Fuel

Gas

Electricity.

The BSS do not notify C&RT or your insurers (how would they know who they are anyway), the BSS 'certificate' is simply posted on a website which authorised parties can access if they wish. What would be the 'prompt' to C&RT to go and have a look 'just in case' someone had done something ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Water Rat. said:

No a new BSS is not required unless the stretch makes material changes to the systems inspected for the BSS. BSS is nothing to do with the hull, just the stuff installed within it. 

And yes insurance company and CRT ought to be informed, but only by YOU!

7 minutes ago, Water Rat. said:

I would think if the gas pipe has been extended, it would be prudent to have another boat safety test done.

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Prudent yes, but mandatory though?

This is the point being discussed Shirley.

I don't know that, but if it were mine,and the pipe had been extended, I would certainly have another safety test done.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Prudent yes, but mandatory though?

Yes - if it means that the changes make the boat potentially non-compliant.

BSS T&Cs

The owner's on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority.  The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made; or if a hire boat or other type of non-private boat is examined against the 'private boat' category of BSS checks.

A BSS examination and examination report relates only to the relevant version of the BSS Examination Checking Procedures published on boatsafetyscheme.org. Depending upon the nature of the specific check, the examination may be confined to items that can be seen, reached or touched.

A BSS examination is not a full condition survey, nor is it an indication that the vessel is fit for purpose.  For example, it does not cover the condition of the hull or deck, the integrity of through-hull fittings or the stability of the boat and it isn't the same as having your boat serviced and doesn't check its general mechanical condition.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I don't know that, but if it were mine,and the pipe had been extended, I would certainly have another safety test done.

Why. Do you think the BSS guy is better at looking at a bubble tester than the chap that ran the new gas pipe. Remember when boats are new they don't need an inspection for 4 years and every one believes that the gas system is sound, that's all of it, not just one pipe.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Why. Do you think the BSS guy is better at looking at a bubble tester than the chap that ran the new gas pipe. Remember when boats are new they don't need an inspection for 4 years and every one believes that the gas system is sound, that's all of it, not just one pipe.

My boat doesn't have a bubble tester :blink:

4 hours ago, Water Rat. said:

I would have though all party's have to be informed as details of length would be false.