Boat stretching

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

How do you decide?

In my case it was easy as I had a detachable stern, and that was the end of the boat that I wanted stretching. But most stretches are going to be to increase a room size, or maybe provide another room altogether. Jonny said it is easier to cut off a bow add the steel and weld it back together, than splitting it in the middle, so they might try and talk you into whats easiest for them

2 minutes ago, Water Rat. said:

Peter. Who did it for you?

Johnathon Wilson Sheffield based, he made the boat originally, look at the Kedien link they are well respected and closer to you

Lengthways, or widthways, or heightwise, or some combination? Sorry, couldn't resist. You may find that the cheapest and easiest solution is to sell the boat and buy one of the size you want. It isn't just the steelwork, but the services, insulation, ballast and interior fit out that also need redoing around the extra section.

Jen

31 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Lengthways, or widthways, or heightwise, or some combination? Sorry, couldn't resist. You may find that the cheapest and easiest solution is to sell the boat and buy one of the size you want. It isn't just the steelwork, but the services, insulation, ballast and interior fit out that also need redoing around the extra section.

Jen

Not so silly, there is a boat on the K&A, a Springer I think, that has been stretched widthways (and possibly a bit heightwise too), it actually looks quite good. ?

............Dave

Since an internal refit and external repaint are required to get a finished job, look into fitting out a sailaway  a similar amount of work required and all new steel hull no bits a lot older and rustier than others plus a new engine and propeller matched to the size of the boat.  I was chatting to someone who stretched a 45 into a 60 footer and within two years had a bigger engine and new prop fitted also l had to overplate a bit by the stern due to corrosion.

In 2005 Parglena's extension steelwork was done at P&S Marine at Rickmansworth however Roger Farrington came down from Braunston  to run the job.

I did all the rest using various subbies for insulation and wood work.

J

Edited by Loddon

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Water Rat. said:

It is 34ft and I want to add 6ft. 

About ten grand should cover it for the steelwork and reconnecting the electrics and plumbing.

Internal refit and external painting will be extra.

Note that isn't sarcasm - the only difference between adding 1 inch or 10 feet is the extra steel.  I'd say you could end up with a 16 foot stretch for about 12 grand.

Edited by TheBiscuits

On 19/11/2018 at 09:43, peterboat said:

Mine was stretched years ago it was the best change that could ever have been done. Just make sure the stretch is done in the right place for you

Or better, in the right place for the boat. Just behind the bow, I'd suggest. 

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Water Rat. said:

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately Kedian will only do 8ft or more. I am investigating others. 

9 hours ago, Water Rat. said:

It is 34ft and I want to add 6ft. 

Is ending up at 42' as opposed to 40' a show stopper then Ratty?  It seems quite a small compromise.  

18 hours ago, Water Rat. said:

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately Kedian will only do 8ft or more. I am investigating others. 

I'm sure you know what you want, but the 8ft minimum is likely based on economy of scale - steel sheet width - the amount of welding will be the same and you will still pay for the discarded 2ft of the original steel plate, and also that the end result leaves a more useable space.