Paint for weights

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've got a few Avery 25 Kg weights I use for ballast. I have one or two spare ones so I thought I'd clean them up and see what they look like as ornaments. They've come up well but I wanted to paint them to stop them rusting. My question is what with? Hammerite will look wrong. I was thinking possibly stove paint but what would they have been protected with originally?

DSC00744.JPG

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Get some Camelia oil (Axminster Tools) and wipe it over them lightly. At the same time do all your chisels, screwdrivers, planes...

Won't prince Charles have something to say about that?

• Greenie 1

A few ideas there. Yes, I know they change hands for significant money these days. I struck lucky on Ebay, turned up to collect and the seller had a second and third set so I bought them all for scrap price. They counterbalance the stove, calorifier etc on the boat nicely.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The one in the photo seems to be avoiding rusting quite successfully!

But then I suppose being metric, it is probably only about 50 years old, or less. 

They were in use by a weights and measures dept or whatever they are called these days. Taken out of use relatively recently allegedly because lifting 25Kg is a health and safety issue!

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

They were in use by a weights and measures dept or whatever they are called these days. Taken out of use relatively recently allegedly because lifting 25Kg is a health and safety issue!

You can say that again! I just hauled about twenty 56lb weights out of our boat (and will be selling some - hint, hint). Plus several hernia inducing ingots of pig iron and some bloody great lumps of concrete kerbstones.?

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The one in the photo seems to be avoiding rusting quite successfully!

But then I suppose being metric, it is probably only about 50 years old, or less. 

I’ve got 3 or 4 that are going rusty on deck. Planning to get round to painting them in due course, and like the carpet on the bottom idea... ooh err missus!

im planning on Craftmaster primer, undercoat, and bilge paint... light grey. 

Spray them with wd40 and wipe excess off. I spray it over the wood burner every year when it’s out of use in the spring as advised by the installer and it’s in great condition after 8 years.

when we were carrying house coal and bagging it up  the weights were 56lbs we couldn’t lift hundredweight sacks out of the boat without serious damage to the back.

Avery seemed to have the monopoly on coal scales.

David

42 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Spray them with wd40 and wipe excess off. I spray it over the wood burner every year when it’s out of use in the spring as advised by the installer and it’s in great condition after 8 years.

when we were carrying house coal and bagging it up  the weights were 56lbs we couldn’t lift hundredweight sacks out of the boat without serious damage to the back.

Avery seemed to have the monopoly on coal scales.

David

Yes, the name was cast into almost Avery one....

• Haha 2