Boat safety surveyor required

L1sterSR2

Featured Posts

Has anyone had any dealings or know of a good, fair & reasonably priced boat safety surveyor, who they have used to survey their narrowboat in the last year or so. I'm looking for someone who is willing to work in the Nottinghamshire area.

Do you know what sort of prices they are charging now ?

Thank's for your help

Another recomendation for Ricky Tropman although £120 is a long way low of the mark. I would budget a lot higher than that. We paid 129 for a hull survey a couple of months ago. I know that's not a BSS survey but even so. Budget higher and if it's lower you get a nice surprise.

1 minute ago, pete.i said:

Another recomendation for Ricky Tropman although £120 is a long way low of the mark. I would budget a lot higher than that. We paid 129 for a hull survey a couple of months ago. I know that's not a BSS survey but even so. Budget higher and if it's lower you get a nice surprise.

That is cheap!We payed much more than that.

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

That is cheap!We payed much more than that.

Yes I don't know where that came from. It was early and the keyboard moved. It was £279 for a hull survey And a think some traveling expense was knocked off as well because it was the third survey we had had with the same surveyor.

Edited by pete.i

Just now, pete.i said:

Yes I don't know where that came from. It was early and the keyboard moved. It was £279 for a hull survey.

Ricky Tropman did my insurance hull survey,price was £275 plus dry dock fee.

Very nice bloke and explained what he was doing,and gave lots of useful advice over and above the survey.

43 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Ricky Tropman did my insurance hull survey,price was £275 plus dry dock fee.

Very nice bloke and explained what he was doing,and gave lots of useful advice over and above the survey.

Yep it was Ricky who did mine, well all three of mine and he had done an insurance survey on my previous boat a couple or three years ago. We did buy the boat the third time. Nice bloke who did explain everything. The £279 price did not include the haul out fee.

My assumption is that OP is after getting a BSS inspection done.

Most of the replies seem to have deviated from that, and even for the surveyor named the link given doesn't seem to mention him doing BSS inspections.  (He may well do, but many marine surveyors don't).

I can't personally recommend a BSS surveyor to cover Nottingham area, but the going rate for a BSS seems to be abut £140-ish.  Some will include a retest, (if required), as part of the price - others may well not do - a big difference in final overall cost if you end up needing one.

13 hours ago, L1sterSR2 said:

Has anyone had any dealings or know of a good, fair & reasonably priced boat safety surveyor, who they have used to survey their narrowboat in the last year or so. I'm looking for someone who is willing to work in the Nottinghamshire area.

Do you know what sort of prices they are charging now ?

Thank's for your help

If you are looking for a BSS Inspector there is a list on the BSS website with their locations. For a straightforward BSS inspection last year I paid £140

Howard

36 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

My assumption is that OP is after getting a BSS inspection done.

Most of the replies seem to have deviated from that, and even for the surveyor named the link given doesn't seem to mention him doing BSS inspections.  (He may well do, but many marine surveyors don't).

As my original reply, Ricky does do BSS inspections, he did my last one on Halcyon a couple of years ago and I'm fairly sure the cost was £120. I did assume the OP was after a BSS inspection. Ricky does also do hull and boat inspections, my last one was £300, but Halcyon was already out of the water for blacking.

46 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Boat safety surveyor required"

I'm surprised no-one has asked the OP to clarify which he needs. A surveyor to do a boat survey, or a BSS inspector to inspect and issue a Boat Safety certificate.

Two different things. 

Some swing both ways Mike.  We must not be judgemental!

Thank's for all your useful information you sent in.   I now have a better idea who to contact & price. If any further boat safety examiner springs to find please feel free to add it to the list.

I didn't make myself clear enough as to what i was asking in my question, so to clear that up it was  BSS examination i was seeking & not a hull survey.  Good info on the price & who is doing the surveys around my area so cheers for the help.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Boat safety surveyor required"

I'm surprised no-one has asked the OP to clarify which he needs. A surveyor to do a boat survey, or a BSS inspector to inspect and issue a Boat Safety certificate.

Two different things. 

I think it was made clear when the Op originally asked for a Boat Safety Surveyor, post 10 & 11 also mention Boat Safety.  As sometimes happens on this forum, there is a tendency to be too helpful but by straying away from the original question it  can sometimes cloud the issue. However, I see the OP has now clarified the point so all is good!

Howard

13 hours ago, Richard T said:

Chris Williams Ovation Boat Services is based at Sileby - he is a surveyor, BSS examiner and a gas safe registered engineer. He always does our BSS and did our hull survey as Tyro has reached the ripe old age of 30.

Another vote for Chris Williams. He gave my boat BSC earlier this year.