1986 Brentford Rally

Featured Posts

i have   this 1986 plaque on a mount  it is solid brass so Quite heavy size of acc plaque is 8.5" x  7"  

I remember the rally is was outside Brentford  in what is locally known as Boston park just near Clitherows lock.

i have never been able to find any records  of a Waterways Transport Centre in Brentford so would be great if anyone has an answer.

also open to suggestions on who this might have been presented to

i dont think it was a boat because of its size & weight 

102_5769.JPG

Tonka that is a thought i have pondered with over the the years. as Tim says it is not an IWA plaque.

Brentford Waterways transport centre iv have found no records  of their existance.

The plaque has very fine raised etched detail more like something used in a printing press .

even the boat at the bottom  G.U.C.C.CO with no 146  as the building top left & others have v fine words etched out if looked at with an eye  glass.

The plaque on its own is just under 1KG .the back as under the NTF of Brentford is stamped 04.

I have had this for  years but for the life of me cant remember where or how i came by it 

The engraving looks as though it is a view over the westernmost gauging lock towards what was the ‘island’ Depot of BW, with its overhanging warehouses (long since vanished under modern flats).

This is a present day view, taken from roughly the same location (the footbridge over the locks) –

Brentford Gauging Locks, view north.jpg

The whole of the island and warehouses on Commerce Road opposite, formed BW’s Brentford transhipment depot, and many photos are available online (and even old B&W movies) showing it in operation.

The plaque might simply have been an ‘attendance’ souvenir for the IWA rally, which around 450 boats attended, or an opportunistic plaque by BW, which was still operating the depot then.

If this attachment works, you can see various loading operations going on in this clip, including boats being gauged at the gauging lock & Toll House –

Edited by NigelMoore

Can't add anything, but particularly like the water leaking past the quoin of the gates, and the person holding the line from the mast about to take a turn to slow the boat. - Might be in for a surprise when it jumps off the luby!! 146 - HAMPSTEAD? Makes you wonder if it wasn't sculpted, moulded and cast from a photograph.

Quote: "I have a  Brentford 1986 rally plaque screwed up in the engine room of present boat. "

Does it look anything like Jeannettes?

Edited by Derek R.
added text

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

I sold my old ex working boat at the 1986 Brentford rally

The Brentford Rally was the first rally appearance of Fulbourne  under it's current ownership, we featured on the front cover of Waterways World having a meeting on the back deck to work out what to do with it!

14 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

i have   this 1986 plaque on a mount  it is solid brass so Quite heavy size of acc plaque is 8.5" x  7"  

I remember the rally is was outside Brentford  in what is locally known as Boston park just near Clitherows lock.

i have never been able to find any records  of a Waterways Transport Centre in Brentford so would be great if anyone has an answer.

also open to suggestions on who this might have been presented to

i dont think it was a boat because of its size & weight 

Just a thought.  Could that just be a claim (by someone making the plaque) that Brentford is the centre of the waterways network (as opposed to the oft claimed Birmingham) rather than a physical building or museum etc?

George

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Can't add anything, but particularly like the water leaking past the quoin of the gates, and the person holding the line from the mast about to take a turn to slow the boat. - Might be in for a surprise when it jumps off the luby!! 146 - HAMPSTEAD? Makes you wonder if it wasn't sculpted, moulded and cast from a photograph.

Quote: "I have a  Brentford 1986 rally plaque screwed up in the engine room of present boat. "

Does it look anything like Jeannettes?

No the attendance plaque is round and a totally different view. As I said I wish I knew how to paste photos on an android phone 

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Brentford Rally was the first rally appearance of Fulbourne  under it's current ownership, we featured on the front cover of Waterways World having a meeting on the back deck to work out what to do with it!

No it wasn't Fulbourne that I sold

Many thanks for your suggestions & help I don not  know why i did not think of the transhipment area as it is a large part of my younger years with a lot of family members still working ,loading there, Tommy Humphries (lime Juice) & several of the last willow wren crews where family connected . 

I have had a memory spark (thank you Nigel you picture reminded me ) & i now  think it was given to me by my nan's half brother Tommy Osborne  when he worked for waterways & lived in one of the cottages on the Hanwell thicket .

Tommy Osborn & Tommy Humphries won the pilling competition in 1959  @ Hanwell but i dont think it has anything to do with that . With the boatman's love for anything brass &  their reputation for trading ,swapping & sometimes gaining in other ways i do not  think i will ever know the full true history of the plaque it is numbered no 4 but to date i have never seen or heard of another. to me it has to do with something or part  of my family history so it will stay  with all other family memrobelia

100_4582.JPG

• Greenie 2

20 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Just a thought.  Could that just be a claim (by someone making the plaque) that Brentford is the centre of the waterways network (as opposed to the oft claimed Birmingham) rather than a physical building or museum etc?

George

That is another possability George .i have also thought that it may have been a bid to help with the then declining area using the rally as a way to get support as even then they where trying to reclaim a lot of the old empty buildings for re development 

19 hours ago, Tonka said:

No the attendance plaque is round and a totally different view. As I said I wish I knew how to paste photos on an android phone 

Ok. I know nothing about Android phones or smart phones, but if you can access th einternet from yours (which obviously you can), maybe it's possible to access a photo hosting website as well?

There's a guide here:

I use TinyPic myself, but on a desktop.

15 hours ago, mark99 said:

Lime juice. Makes my mouth water just reading it.

Rally medals.

https://picclick.co.uk/2-Vintage-Brass-Waterways-Rally-Coasters-Brentford-1986-222433389353.html#&gid=1&pid=1

The Hawksbury one is a lot in design like mine except mine is a lot bigger = 21cm X17cm another option is could mine have been a kettle or t/pot trivia its def big enough to have been 

Jeannette,  I attended the rally by road & during the wander around stopped to " chinwag "with Ike" (Argent ) & him diving down in the cabin of "Amy"& emerging with a big plaque  I couldn't say for sure if it was the same as yours as it was while back but remember it was big & ornate IIRC it was a commemorative one for boaters involved in in some contract

Alan once again our paths must have crossed years ago. Im rubbish at technical stuff but just managed to find this  back in aug 21st 2017 i made a posting on here= old photos in a box . Ike was on the photo the box came from a family member who was also connected to Ike  & my Nanny .

also connected to my  Grandads side via the Boswell, Nixon  & Monks  .

My Nanny always refered to him as Iky Moulds because his mother Florrie 2nd husband was a boatman called Billy Moulds 

On 21/11/2018 at 11:09, jeannette smith harrison said:

Alan once again our paths must have crossed years ago. Im rubbish at technical stuff but just managed to find this  back in aug 21st 2017 i made a posting on here= old photos in a box . Ike was on the photo the box came from a family member who was also connected to Ike  & my Nanny .

also connected to my  Grandads side via the Boswell, Nixon  & Monks  .

My Nanny always refered to him as Iky Moulds because his mother Florrie 2nd husband was a boatman called Billy Moulds 

Yes I got confused when I first started carrying as he "Ike " was referred to by both names took me a bit to twig they were talking about the same person

Edited by X Alan W