Fuel Taps

bmp

Featured Posts

I think there must be a tap on there somewhere and I just haven't looked properly.

I will be back on the boat next week and will take another look and take some photos if I cant see the tap anywhere. 

When I find it I will make sure I put a big label on it too !!

35 minutes ago, bmp said:

I think there must be a tap on there somewhere and I just haven't looked properly.

I will be back on the boat next week and will take another look and take some photos if I cant see the tap anywhere. 

When I find it I will make sure I put a big label on it too !!

I would expect it to be close to the diesel tank takeoff point.

3 hours ago, bmp said:

It has a BSS certificate - I have seen a copy of it in the Manual that was passed over to me with the boat.It runs out at the end of 2019 or early 2020.

That's curious. A new boat doesn't need one until four years old, unless a self-build. 

Did you build it yourself? I imagine not from your question about whether the builder should have fitted the fuel valve(s). If you bought a boat less than five years old with now RCD certificate, the seller committed a criminal offence selling it to you. 

10 hours ago, frygood said:

Hi Guys

I have a question along the same thread.

To pass the BSS do you need a cut off valve on the return feed from the engine.

To the best of my knowledge the answer is no providing the pipe enters the top of the tank and there is no dip tube on the end.

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's curious. A new boat doesn't need one until four years old, unless a self-build. 

Did you build it yourself? I imagine not from your question about whether the builder should have fitted the fuel valve(s). If you bought a boat less than five years old with now RCD certificate, the seller committed a criminal offence selling it to you. 

Some (many) builders now have their boats BSS inspected when they sell them, it saves the embarrassment when they fail their first inspection.

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some (many) builders now have their boats BSS inspected when they sell them, it saves the embarrassment when they fail their first inspection.

I managed to get hold of the previous owner today.  He said exactly what you said above. The BSS was not needed but he had it done anyway.

Regarding the fuel tap.....   He assures me that it is there and I must have missed it.  I am going back to the boat later in the week and I will look properly this time !!

Apologies if this has wasted everyones time !  

1 hour ago, bmp said:

I managed to get hold of the previous owner today.  He said exactly what you said above. The BSS was not needed but he had it done anyway.

Regarding the fuel tap.....   He assures me that it is there and I must have missed it.  I am going back to the boat later in the week and I will look properly this time !!

Apologies if this has wasted everyones time !  

When you find it, make sure it's clearly marked (even if it says  "below" or "inside" or whatever) - then you won't fail your next BSS. ;)

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It might already be! We all have those "how did I miss that"  moments... :D

I know - I am thinking that too. Probably in massive letters marked clearly too. 

I promise I will admit my stupidity if it is !!

• Happy 1

Afternoon all

First of all in my defence ......  This is where I was looking and tracing the pipes ....

IMG_0222.jpeg.3c1c8bc51f54aeabf90bf497a58c3a31.jpeg

And the tap is hiding behind the insulated pipes that you can see.  I know I am stupid !!

IMG_0223.jpeg.2e5ce4d8ab7b69aa9e78416047846f7c.jpeg

It is easy to get to now I know where it is.

I have a few labels ready to mark it up !!

6 minutes ago, bmp said:

It is easy to get to now I know where it is.

I have a few labels ready to mark it up !!

All's well that ends well.

As boat owners we are ALL on a never ending journey of education.

As the pipes obviously do run lower than the fuel tank it is a requirement to have a stop-tap (and labels showing where it is - ie for example  "Fuel Stop-Tap Below"  - on the deck boards)

Where does the Eberspacher pick up its supply from ? 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Things are usually in the last place you look for them :D

Apparently if I reach in from above - where I open the hatch, it is right in front of you.  I have been looking from inside the boat with all the access panels removed.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 18/11/2018 at 20:13, Alan de Enfield said:

Its an RCD AND a BSS requirement to have one fitted.

However I would not be surprised if it didn't have one, but had passed its BSS.

From the BSS :

Permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines
There are seven relevant BSS general requirements:
1. All permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines must be designed, installed and
maintained in a way that minimises the risks of explosion, or of fire starting or spreading.
2. Fuel filling arrangements must prevent any overflow from entering the interior of the vessel.
3. All fuel filling points must clearly identify the fuel in use.
4. Marking must be provided to identify the location of fuel system emergency shut‐off devices, or
their means of operation, which are not in open view.

5. All permanently installed fuel systems must be designed, installed and maintained to ensure fueltight
integrity.
6. All permanently installed fuel tanks and fuel system connections must be accessible for inspection.
7. The pressure systems of steam‐powered installations must have a current inspection certificate
issued by a recognised competent person.

2.13 Fuel shut‐offs
Is an emergency fuel shut‐off installed in every fuel feed line? R
Check the means to shut off the fuel in the fuel feed line from every fuel tank.
An effective emergency shut‐off must be installed in all fuel feed lines. Any of
the following methods are acceptable:

• a manual shut‐off valve or cock; or,
• all fuel lines, including those on the engine, being above the level of the top of the tank; or,
• an anti‐siphon valve at the tank, providing it was installed by the boat builder; or,
• an electrically operated valve at the tank activated to open only during engine starting or running, provided that a manual emergency operating or
bypassing device is present.

Hi Alan

Its quite clear that a shut off valve should be on all fuel feeds.

Does that include the return.?

To comply with certification for plus 20m boats on the continent fuel shut off must be visible and labeled but it is allowed to put fire shut off valves in the fuel lines which would automatically shut off supply in the event of a fire.