Fuel Taps

bmp

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone.

A quick question.  Do all boats have fuel taps to turn off the fuel to the engine? 

I got my boat in August and it had just been serviced. Not done many hours in it since so the service is not due yet but I am I just preparing myself ready for when I do the service in the next month or 2.

The boat is 3 years old and has about 450 hours on the clock.

My engine is a Canaline 42 - exactly the same as this one in this youtube video.

The bit where he is going to change the fuel filter he turns off the taps for the fuel - 2 minutes 39 into the video. 

I have followed the fuel lines back from the filter on my boat all the way back to the tank and I cannot see any fuel taps anywhere.  Should I have them?  Maybe I am just not looking properly.

If I dont have them should I get them added?   Can I change the filter without turning the fuel off?  Worried about it pouring out everywhere !!

Thanks in advance for any help.

BMP

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

There certainly should be one immediately after the outlet from the tank, otherwise any leak that developes will be both messy and expensive. 

I assumed there should be one but I couldn't see it.  Even as I typed this I am thinking that from a safety point of view I really should know where that is !!

I am back home now but will look next week when I go back to the boat.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

My boat has a tap on both flow and return diesel pipes at the tank.  If the diesel level in the tank is above the filter housing (mine is) and you open it up without turning off the diesel I can’t see it ending well.

Yes - I agree. That is why I was asking as I assume there must be one (or 2) taps.   Will take a closer look.

Would they be stupid enough to build a new boat without the fuel taps ?

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

The boat fitter / builder should instal a shut off. its a requirement.

It is probably me being dim and not looking properly - but I couldn't see one and will be amazed if it doesn't have them.

Its an RCD AND a BSS requirement to have one fitted.

However I would not be surprised if it didn't have one, but had passed its BSS.

From the BSS :

Permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines
There are seven relevant BSS general requirements:
1. All permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines must be designed, installed and
maintained in a way that minimises the risks of explosion, or of fire starting or spreading.
2. Fuel filling arrangements must prevent any overflow from entering the interior of the vessel.
3. All fuel filling points must clearly identify the fuel in use.
4. Marking must be provided to identify the location of fuel system emergency shut‐off devices, or
their means of operation, which are not in open view.

5. All permanently installed fuel systems must be designed, installed and maintained to ensure fueltight
integrity.
6. All permanently installed fuel tanks and fuel system connections must be accessible for inspection.
7. The pressure systems of steam‐powered installations must have a current inspection certificate
issued by a recognised competent person.

2.13 Fuel shut‐offs
Is an emergency fuel shut‐off installed in every fuel feed line? R
Check the means to shut off the fuel in the fuel feed line from every fuel tank.
An effective emergency shut‐off must be installed in all fuel feed lines. Any of
the following methods are acceptable:

• a manual shut‐off valve or cock; or,
• all fuel lines, including those on the engine, being above the level of the top of the tank; or,
• an anti‐siphon valve at the tank, providing it was installed by the boat builder; or,
• an electrically operated valve at the tank activated to open only during engine starting or running, provided that a manual emergency operating or
bypassing device is present.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You don’t need fuel taps if all connections are above the tank and engine or has anti syphon fitted, as well as a few other alternatives listed....

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-2-inboard-engines/fuel-cocks-valves/

That is the 2002 issue. Now obsolete.

The current version is the 2015 issue.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its an RCD AND a BSS requirement to have one fitted.

However I would not be surprised if it didn't have one, but had passed its BSS.

that is what I was thinking. Hopefully I have just missed it.

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You don’t need fuel taps if all connections are above the tank and engine.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-2-inboard-engines/fuel-cocks-valves/

The pipes I have checked all run above the tank and around to the engine. The are 2 fuel filters and both are above the engine.

There is also a feed which goes off to a Webasto boiler / heater.

30 minutes ago, bmp said:

Hi Everyone.

A quick question.  Do all boats have fuel taps to turn off the fuel to the engine? 

I got my boat in August and it had just been serviced. Not done many hours in it since so the service is not due yet but I am I just preparing myself ready for when I do the service in the next month or 2.

The boat is 3 years old and has about 450 hours on the clock.

My engine is a Canaline 42 - exactly the same as this one in this youtube video.

The bit where he is going to change the fuel filter he turns off the taps for the fuel - 2 minutes 39 into the video. 

I have followed the fuel lines back from the filter on my boat all the way back to the tank and I cannot see any fuel taps anywhere.  Should I have them?  Maybe I am just not looking properly.

If I dont have them should I get them added?   Can I change the filter without turning the fuel off?  Worried about it pouring out everywhere !!

Thanks in advance for any help.

BMP

If its not obvious and is hidden away there should be a notice that is immediately obvious pointing out where the fuel shut off valve is

Edited by ditchcrawler
Fat fingers

9 minutes ago, bmp said:

The pipes I have checked all run above the tank and around to the engine. The are 2 fuel filters and both are above the engine.

There is also a feed which goes off to a Webasto boiler / heater.

As long as there is no fuel pipe running below the top of the tank (including the connection to the engine) it is acceptable not to have stop-cocks.

Having now read the relevant part of the BSS - My previous comment was incorrect.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

At 3 years old it may not have had one if it has an RCD certification

It has a BSS certificate - I have seen a copy of it in the Manual that was passed over to me with the boat.It runs out at the end of 2019 or early 2020.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If its not obvious and is hidden away there should be a notice that is immediately obvious pointing out where the fuel shut off valve is

You would hope so.   Everything else in the boat is labelled up really well. Battery isolators etc etc.... I just cant see the one for the fuel tap.  

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You don’t need fuel taps if all connections are above the tank and engine or has anti syphon fitted, as well as a few other alternatives listed....

I was wrong - that is an acceptable method.

8 minutes ago, bmp said:

You would still think they would put taps on though.  It wouldn't cost very much and would be much easier and safer. 

It’s a little overrated or useless to be honest as it’s to stop siphoning of the diesel to feed a fire or get accidentally pumped overboard.   The majority of the time you won’t be there to see the diesel or it will be too late.  Anti syphon or auto shutoff valves are better.

Edited by Robbo

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

When filling the engine with new oil I wouldn't hold the can like that, its liable glug and splash the oil all over the place. Hold it sideways and pour gently.  Thats all, oil leave it there.

Haha - Yes I agree.

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It’s a little overrated or useless to be honest as it’s to stop siphoning of the diesel to feed a fire or get accidentally pumped overboard.   The majority of the time you won’t be there to see the diesel or it will be too late.  Anti syphon or auto shutoff valves are better.

anti syphon would make it difficult for the engine to draw the fuel through. The only modern mass produced boats that I can think of where you wouldn't need a valve is a Hudson with the fuel tank under the engine room floor and its all uphill from there.