Bit of an Elsan rant.....

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

She still moderates a Facebook group, and shows huge amounts of common sense.

I have not picked up any sense of "dream gone wrong" from any of her postings, but she pulls no punches about the reality of a live-aboard life in London, particularly when she spots another punter about to part with far too much cash for a totally knackered old Springer with a smoking outboard motor and no home moorings, and who thinks they are going to move aboard with washing machine, dishwashers, microwaves etc, and live "off grid"!

I have huge respect for her, and for other former mods on here who were treated appallingly by some of our so called "membership".

Seconded. 

On 18/11/2018 at 11:58, Clodi said:

What I don't understand is that having traveled extensively in France by Motorcaravan staying in the numerous free or 5 euros at most 'Aires' most of them provide elsan points and I cannot recall ever finding a 'discusting' one.

And we, as a nation, like to call the French 'dirty' .

A good #of French aires bog emptying is by way of "Flot Bleu units which dispense water &  allow bog emptying they are an open to air unit so the smell is less. One stomach turning exercise in the recent advent of more Spanish camping cars is their habit of stuffing the spouts of the cassettes over the top of the potable water spout "Ugh"

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

She still moderates a Facebook group, and shows huge amounts of common sense.

I have not picked up any sense of "dream gone wrong" from any of her postings, but she pulls no punches about the reality of a live-aboard life in London, particularly when she spots another punter about to part with far too much cash for a totally knackered old Springer with a smoking outboard motor and no home moorings, and who thinks they are going to move aboard with washing machine, dishwashers, microwaves etc, and live "off grid"!

I have huge respect for her, and for other former mods on here who were treated appallingly by some of our so called "membership".

Well said. Lady Muck's departure was a huge loss to the forum.

• Greenie 1

For a variety of reasons I no longer own a narrowboat but a caravan instead. I stop exclusively at Caravan Club sites and then only ones with no toilet block. To date I have never found an elsan emptying point in a dirty let alone disgusting state. The Caravan Club does have live on site staff. I feel a big difference is that caravanners are hobbyists and not living in the thing. Maybe the novelty of emptying the elsan for 2 weeks or so allows people to do the job to the best of their ability.

2 minutes ago, keith. said:

For a variety of reasons I no longer own a narrowboat but a caravan instead. I stop exclusively at Caravan Club sites and then only ones with no toilet block. To date I have never found an elsan emptying point in a dirty let alone disgusting state. The Caravan Club does have live on site staff. I feel a big difference is that caravanners are hobbyists and not living in the thing. Maybe the novelty of emptying the elsan for 2 weeks or so allows people to do the job to the best of their ability.

I think its more a case of there are good and bad people everywhere. I used to police massive council estates in Leeds and you would not believe what I encountered in some of their houses/flats, you realy honestly would not believe it. The worst atrocity I dealt with though was at a very posh 4 bed detached privately owned house. Having stated this the majority of peeps in the flats/houses back then were smashing and thats true today. Problem is it only takes ONE filthy slob to ruin an elsan point and thats generaly what happens. I agree though that caravan club sites may be better kept due to the novelty/hobby aspect much as some of the flash marinas.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Shoes? SHOES??

No one flushes shoes down a toilet, surely they don't flush them down a sluice either.

....or do CART know different?

Sleeping bags had me scratching my head!

My wife retrieved at least two sweet corn spattered beer cans out of the Cowley elsan when we were down there. Euggh.

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

A good #of French aires bog emptying is by way of "Flot Bleu units which dispense water &  allow bog emptying they are an open to air unit so the smell is less. One stomach turning exercise in the recent advent of more Spanish camping cars is their habit of stuffing the spouts of the cassettes over the top of the potable water spout "Ugh"

I learnt a long time ago, especially travelling with young kids to never trust the water & always use bottled

23 minutes ago, BWM said:

Sleeping bags had me scratching my head!

My wife retrieved at least two sweet corn spattered beer cans out of the Cowley elsan when we were down there. Euggh.

Oh god! now I've got that image stuck in my head

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lysander said:

cm-voyagertoilet170813.jpg

I've always like this one...

Is that the one on the railways?

The follow-on from that is Virgin now have the talking bog with a quite nice sounding lady playing the part of the toilet,"....I used to be a public toilet, but this is a real step up....."with what is essentially the same message, humour helps I suppose but the reality is that adults shouldn't really need to be told these things, it should be bl**dy obvious.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was in Ely and the chap there was unblocking the Elsan disposal point, it was a disposable BBQ the aluminium tray type complete with half burnt charcoal.

Any sausages on it? ?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And that is a large part of the problem.

No discussion & no accountability.

I have been on CWDF for eighteen months, and find it very entertaining, and informative, it is indeed a community of like minded guys [all genders].

I lasted about a week on FB before I was the subject of personal attack of the four letter variety from a person of my acquaintance. I then had to change my persona, I rarely visit.

This forum seems to me to be reasonably lightly moderated, and generally well run. 

I would not last long as a mod if I had to have a public discussion on my every action as a mod. 

I view myself as accountable to senior staff and the site owner.

jo

Edited by LadyG