Bit of an Elsan rant.....

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, haza said:

seems to me some of you are surprised at some of the things boaters get up to. like in any walk of life .dirty horrible scumbags .being on a narrowboat makes it no difference .two different boaters where traveling together ,both used the elsan ..i went in after they both used it .i confronted them about the state they left it in ...no it was not us ...any way the one moron said they get cleaned every day anyway ...

Yes, I suppose that you are right that people with disgusting habits are in all walks of life. I'd have to say you were right to confront the boaters who had left the Elsan in a poor state, the argument,"It was not us" doesn't hold up in my view. If the unit was OK for them to use it was OK for them to clean it up afterwards, if they had been completely unable to use it because it was in such a disgusting state they might have a case. This was why I said in my OP that I cannot leave a unit in such a state, whoever was responsible, since the onus falls back on me for leaving it. If I hadn't used it that would be a different matter. As I said I can have some sympathy with someone having a mishap whilst emptying, I can have no sympathy at all for someone who then just leaves it. It's a bit like going to stay at someone's house, being sick all over their bathroom and then leaving as if nothing has happened, I'm assuming that those responsible are adults, they need to behave as such.

Anyone with a macerator toilet pumpout  sytem will not have inappropriate materials wet wipes etc as it will block their toilet first, they also need a reasonable liquid content to work. Owners of dump through toilets and cassette systems (which are small plastic dump through tanks) can have inappropriate things dropped through the little hole, Unless the boat has a electric pumpout pump there is no way the soup like fluid can spray everywhere and a manual pump is pretty slow, slower than chucking a cassette upside down in the chute, I have seen posts elsewhere where people admit losing the cap down the hole and leaving, reports from the cleaner uppers usually involve wet wipes, nappies, cardboard loo rolls, sticks (presumably to poke) and many other things that have no place in a drainage system. As always the ingenuity of man never ceases to amaze. Just a note, in 6 years on the canals I have yet to see a boat pumping out into an elsan but then it is probably done secretly at night.

20 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The closest to the same level of annoyance I have experienced in the past was at the Elsan point at Dundas where I was waiting for something like 20 - 25 minutes for the user before me to finish what he was doing and only after he had gone did I realise that he'd blocked the unit by using his cassette only for solids which was why it had taken him so long to empty it (and block the unit). Once again the stench was stomach-churning and he had then left it for someone else to sort out.

I was under the impression that when reinstalling your cassette after emptying,you recharge with `Elsan and a quantity of clean water,didn't this guy read the instructions????

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

I was under the impression that when reinstalling your cassette after emptying,you recharge with `Elsan and a quantity of clean water,didn't this guy read the instructions????

The fact that there appears to have only been solids in his cassette would rather suggest that an instruction manual would be a long way above his intellect. I can only assume that he was putting his 'liquids' in the hedge and probably boasting that he only has to empty his cassette every 6 weeks, although it then takes him an hour to do so:sick:.

15 hours ago, pearley said:

Latest rumour here at Kings is that it is the company that own Mercia but can't see it myself. 

Highly improbable. Mercia isn’t owned by a company but by Madecore LLP, which consist of just three partners, AFAIK.

On 17/11/2018 at 23:37, MJG said:

I wonder whatever happened to Dean-s.

Nice chap.

I've had a look. Dean is still a member but has not posted since July last year. From memory, he was a moddy for a while and took that position seriously. He owned both a widebeam and a narrowbeam boat. That's about all I can tell you.

I can honestly say that I leave any elsan in a better condition than I found it. Unless of course it has been abused by a previous user. It's such a simple operation to 'do it ' carefully and clean up after yourself. I take a little brush and concentrated disinfectant (Zoflora) and have a swill around after use. I don't want people thinking it was me.

In the same spirit I suppose, when walking around a supermarket, if there's something on the floor as a result of some person knocking it off the shelf, I pick it up and put if back. Clothes especially. I have even picked up clothes, put it back on the hanger and asked an employee to move so I can hang it up again. In Aldi or Lidl, people take things out of boxes and just leave it. I put it back in. Why shops don't have things like tools 'out of the box' on display I don't know. Maybe I have a problem.

Theres some disgusting habitants in this country nowadays. 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I can honestly say that I leave any elsan in a better condition than I found it. Unless of course it has been abused by a previous user. It's such a simple operation to 'do it ' carefully and clean up after yourself. I take a little brush and concentrated disinfectant (Zoflora) and have a swill around after use. I don't want people thinking it was me.

In the same spirit I suppose, when walking around a supermarket, if there's something on the floor as a result of some person knocking it off the shelf, I pick it up and put if back. Clothes especially. I have even picked up clothes, put it back on the hanger and asked an employee to move so I can hang it up again. In Aldi or Lidl, people take things out of boxes and just leave it. I put it back in. Why shops don't have things like tools 'out of the box' on display I don't know. Maybe I have a problem.

Theres some disgusting habitants in this country nowadays. 

Another bonus of a quick clean before you use it is that its easier to clear up afterwards. Even if an elsan is clean when you start off, a quick hose down ensures an easy clean when finished. 

Whilst on the subject of former moddies, and as her forum name is relevant to the thread's content, what has happened to Lady Muck since she stepped down from her moderator's chair?

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Whilst on the subject of former moddies, and as her forum name is relevant to the thread's content, what has happened to Lady Much since she stepped down from her moderator's chair?

Are you suggesting that 'Lady Much' is in some way connected to an Elsan with walls covered in excreta ?

Lady Muck no longer appears on the members list, maybe she requested her 'removal' when she could no longer cope with the forum situation at the time.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Whilst on the subject of former moddies, and as her forum name is relevant to the thread's content, what has happened to Lady Muck since she stepped down from her moderator's chair?

She still surfaces on facebook from time to time...

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've just had a look. Extraordinarily, she banned herself from the forum in November 2016. I've never witnessed the like.

She got mightily chuffed off with the general nastiness and trouble on the forum at the time  IIRC. She resigned as a moddy and her last action in protest at Dan's apparent indifference to the problem was to ban herself. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

She got mightily chuffed off with the general nastiness and trouble on the forum at the time  IIRC. She resigned as a moddy and her last action in protest at Dan's apparent indifference to the problem was to ban herself. 

That's right, I had a look at her forum history, she gave herself three warning points which meant an automatic ban! She could simply have stepped down and ceased posting, but it was a fine theatrical gesture - didn't she have some connection with the theatre world?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

That's right, I had a look at her forum history, she gave herself three warning points which meant an automatic ban! She could simply have stepped down and ceased posting, but it was a fine theatrical gesture - didn't she have some connection with the theatre world?

IIRC she is a Shoe designer,I think the Liveaboard in London on the River Lee Dream was going a bit wrong .all changed in the last few Years .

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I'm not sure discussing her personal details here is particularly ethical, given she has stepped down. 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure discussing her personal details here is particularly ethical, given she has stepped down. 

No, I don't think it would be if these were private and secret, but as far as I can see she announced her action on the forum. My initial query was prompted by a "where is she now? hope she's O.K." train of thought, which I don't think is reprehensible at all. This in turn was prompted by another member's enquiry after Dean S, presumably for similar reasons.

Edited by Athy

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I don't think it would be if these were private and secret, but as far as I can see she announced her action on the forum. My initial query was prompted by a "where is she now? hope she's O.K." train of thought, which I don't think is reprehensible at all. This in turn was prompted by another member's enquiry after Dean S, presumably for similar reasons.

She said she was going. But didn't as far as I can establish discuss the bit about the manner of her departure in the public part of the forum ie 'banning' herself. She might have (rightly in my opinion) wanted that bit not to be public knowledge as it does seem a peculiar (but very effective) thing to do.

Lady muck.PNG

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you suggesting that 'Lady Much' is in some way connected to an Elsan with walls covered in excreta ?

Actually she often is, but in the opposite way to the subject of this thread.

She has, I  know regularly, donned protective gear to deal with the exceedingly horrible messes that people make of the Elsan facility at her local mooring.

Having seen horrendous pictures of what can occur there, other boaters should have enormous respect for what she and others have been prepared to tackle.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

IIRC she is a Shoe designer,I think the Liveaboard in London on the River Lee Dream was going a bit wrong .all changed in the last few Years .

She still moderates a Facebook group, and shows huge amounts of common sense.

I have not picked up any sense of "dream gone wrong" from any of her postings, but she pulls no punches about the reality of a live-aboard life in London, particularly when she spots another punter about to part with far too much cash for a totally knackered old Springer with a smoking outboard motor and no home moorings, and who thinks they are going to move aboard with washing machine, dishwashers, microwaves etc, and live "off grid"!

I have huge respect for her, and for other former mods on here who were treated appallingly by some of our so called "membership".

• Greenie 3

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have huge respect for her, and for other former mods on here who were treated appallingly by some of our so called "membership".

I have no intention of starting a new 'war' or furthering discussions about it but :

Just remember the members who were so appalingly treated by the moderation team on their 'witch hunt'

Every story has two sides.

End Of.

• Greenie 2