Beta 1505 oil...opinions please...

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

This is an  "opinion" request.

My last boat had a Beta 43. The previous owner had carried out oil changes at 200 hours or less and only used Wilko 20/50 oil..the cheap stuff that says "for petrol engines or non turbo diesel"

I continued with this and when I sold it...it had over 8000 hours and never burned a spot of oil between changes or smoked.

I have just bought a Beta 1505 engined boat with 2800 hours.....and was pondering whether to continue with this. The Wilko oil is £14.50 for a 4.5 litre  container and I recall that the engine takes about 6 litres....so I buy 2 containers at considerable saving. I also used the same oil in the PRM160 box.

I'm a stickler for not exceeding 200 hours between oil and filter changes.

"Opinions"...from people who know their way around oil..?....

Thanks.

Bob.

13 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

This is an  "opinion" request.

My last boat had a Beta 43. The previous owner had carried out oil changes at 200 hours or less and only used Wilko 20/50 oil..the cheap stuff that says "for petrol engines or non turbo diesel"

I continued with this and when I sold it...it had over 8000 hours and never burned a spot of oil between changes or smoked.

I have just bought a Beta 1505 engined boat with 2800 hours.....and was pondering whether to continue with this. The Wilko oil is £14.50 for a 4.5 litre  container and I recall that the engine takes about 6 litres....so I buy 2 containers at considerable saving. I also used the same oil in the PRM160 box.

I'm a stickler for not exceeding 200 hours between oil and filter changes.

"Opinions"...from people who know their way around oil..?....

Thanks.

Bob.

I been using the Wilko Classic oil (API, SE, CC) 5 L Green can, for years, my 1505 has clocked over 12000 hours, A frlend who's is a car  restorer recommend it to me. The oil that your using has no specifications listed on the bottle. You should be using a oil that meets the specification required by the engine builder.     

17 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

I been using the Wilko Classic oil (API, SE, CC) 5 L Green can, for years, my 1505 has clocked over 12000 hours, A frlend who's is a car  restorer recommend it to me. The oil that your using has no specifications listed on the bottle. You should be using a oil that meets the specification required by the engine builder.     

I looked that up...and its £16.50 for 5 litres which is good for my budget.....although it doesn't say it's for diesels. 

Thank you for the recommendation. 

23 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I looked that up...and its £16.50 for 5 litres which is good for my budget.....although it doesn't say it's for diesels. 

Thank you for the recommendation. 

Actually it does in the  specification

C is for "compression ignition"  diesel