Please sir, can we have some diesel?

Tonksy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

But you said I shouldn’t buy from a garage, there is no legal reason why I should buy from a garage.

Its dark & cold and I'm being pedantic.

Leisure boats are, by EU Law required to pay duty on fuel used for propulsion

If you buy white diesel from a garage you have paid the additional 46p per litre in duty - everything fine.

If you buy your red diesel from a Fuel boat, marina etc etc, then you will be charged the 46p per litre duty to comply with the law - everything fine.

If you buy your red diesel from a roadside garage then you will not have paid the 46p duty required for boat propulsion fuels. Everything NOT fine.

Maybe you would argue that the fuel you buy from the 'fuel boat etc' is the fuel you use for propulsion and the fuel you but from the garage is purely for 'domestic' use -Good luck with that one (unless you keep all receipts to justify)

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I you buy white and red from a garage in the appropriate proportions you will pay the 'right' amount if duty.

Good point and very true.

Put 12 litres of white and 8 litres of red in your 20 litre jerry can - keep both receipts 'everyones a winner'

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I didn't think you would be.

A 'floating flat', or a 'Winter Mooring' would be the 'get-out'.

Or two tanks, or you use white as well.   Still not norty as you claimed and no reason why you shouldn’t use garages.

On 17/11/2018 at 16:38, Robbo said:

Cheers, that does look quite close to the canal!

We came through Fall Ings lock and moored right behind the garage. All straight forward, we managed to fill 100 litres via containers - just watch out for the needles on the walk round!

21 hours ago, Kendorr said:

When you get to Thorne, you'll pass Stanilands Marina first, they had plenty last week, after the lock you'll come to Thorne Boatyard, I filled up there a few weeks back, then through the 'majestic pedestrian bridge' which actually is behaving itself at the moment, you'll come to Blue Water Marina. So, if you can manage to get to Thorne, you've 3 chances to get filled up.

Thanks I’ll ring ahead in the week

:offtopic::offtopic:

All I know is that a couple of days ago I topped up my tank with just over 56 litres, all at the 'domestic' rate and it cost me over £51. It worked out at about 92p a litre. Had to have several pints of Old Hookey to get over the shock!!.

• 7 months later...

After wading through a permanently closed thread created by a spider hating bitumen painting lady, I have come to appreciate that this forum is all about give and take. (And not just reading anonymously!) :ninja:

When I needed help, I took and haven’t given anything back, so time to redress that now.

This service has recently started. We haven’t used them yet (Jerry cans have been the order of the day up til now) but it’s good to know about, especially if anyone is in the same situation we found ourselves in. Hope someone finds this useful :cheers:

A95251E9-11EE-4BA1-9054-A95E501CCEF1.jpeg

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Tonksy said:

After wading through a permanently closed thread created by a spider hating bitumen painting lady, I have come to appreciate that this forum is all about give and take. (And not just reading anonymously!) :ninja:

When I needed help, I took and haven’t given anything back, so time to redress that now.

This service has recently started. We haven’t used them yet (Jerry cans have been the order of the day up til now) but it’s good to know about, especially if anyone is in the same situation we found ourselves in. Hope someone finds this useful :cheers:

A95251E9-11EE-4BA1-9054-A95E501CCEF1.jpeg

Be interesting to know how this is being done legally, with respect to Trading Standards weights and measures?

George

45 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Be interesting to know how this is being done legally, with respect to Trading Standards weights and measures?

George

The ones who do delivery in Lancashire only sell multiples of 20L in containers if you can't get next to their metered bowser.  If you can't fit what you order in your tank you keep the jerrycan until next time.

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The ones who do delivery in Lancashire only sell multiples of 20L in containers if you can't get next to their metered bowser.  If you can't fit what you order in your tank you keep the jerrycan until next time.

If you cannot get next to the meter then any containers need to be sealed when delivered. (Legally speaking).

George

48 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That has got my attention! May I ask who supplies this service in Lancashire? Many thanks :)

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So, even tho' we pay duty on the 'propulsion' element of the fuel it is still illegal because it is coloured 'red'.

1.3 The Energy Taxation Directive states that fuel used in private pleasure craft for propulsion must be charged at the full duty rate.  When this rule came into force in 2007, such craft were using red diesel charged at the rebated rate and users of private pleasure craft in the UK cited significant practical difficulties to switching to white diesel.  In response, the UK devised a pragmatic scheme of allowing private pleasure craft to continue to use red diesel for propulsion but require their fuel supplier to collect from the craft operator the difference in duty between the red and white diesel rates, and pay the additional duty to HM Revenue and Customs.   

1.4 In 2018, the CJEU ruled that the UK’s practice of allowing private pleasure craft to use red diesel that had duty paid on it at the white diesel rate was contrary to the Fuel Marker Directive.  While the UK is a member of the EU and under any implementation period agreed as part of our exit from the EU, we are obliged under international law to implement the judgment or risk substantial fines.   

1.5 The government intends to remove the option of private pleasure craft to use red diesel for propulsion and require them to use white diesel because the other options available have been ruled illegal by the CJEU.    

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think that this deserves a thread of its own, because of the severity of the implications, as not only will we all have to pay duty on all our fuel, but the VAT will also be at the higher rate of 20%.

Roll on Brexit - I bet that's 150,000 extra votes.

48 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/

But I tend to use either fuel boat Ambush at Burscough or one of the hire boat bases further up - Riley Green or Lower Park Marina

Thanks that is useful ;)

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that this deserves a thread of its own, because of the severity of the implications, as not only will we all have to pay duty on all our fuel, but the VAT will also be at the higher rate of 20%.

Roll on Brexit - I bet that's 150,000 extra votes.

Won't make a scrap of difference to this issue.

On 17/11/2018 at 15:17, pearley said:

Selby Boatyard sell diesel and there are, or used to be, 3 places in Thorne. 

Check this before going - I thought when we went that way two years ago that they had stopped offering it.

• 4 years later...

I'm looking for diesel at the moment, not urgent, I'm currently at Whitley lock, and it's not a great place, any ideas as to an interesting journey, I only do about an hour a day in winter.

Ty

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm looking for diesel at the moment, not urgent, I'm currently at Whitley lock, and it's not a great place, any ideas as to an interesting journey, I only do about an hour a day in winter.

Ty

It doesn't take long to get to Goole from there, maybe a couple of hours. Two marinas sell diesel there.