Please sir, can we have some diesel?

Tonksy

Featured Posts

Hello all

Well I didn’t intend this to be my opening post...

Does anyone know of a boatyard that has any diesel on the Aire & Calder? We’re at Stanley Ferry, which is empty, as is Castleford boatyard. We are intending to cruise to Selby, turn then go down to Thorne before heading back to Woodlesford.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, DaveP said:

If you've got cans and can get there BSB in Normanton (2 miles east of you) sell about the cheapest red diesel around (147 bus).

I can tell you that it is surprisingly tricky to ride a bike with a five gallon jerry can of diesel in a rucksack on your back!

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I can tell you that it is surprisingly tricky to ride a bike with a five gallon jerry can of diesel in a rucksack on your back!

But just 1 litre would give about an hours cruising, a 5 litre can (well worth keeping as 'spare') will last most of the day and get you somewhere with diesel.

1 hour ago, Tonksy said:

Hello all

Well I didn’t intend this to be my opening post...

Does anyone know of a boatyard that has any diesel on the Aire & Calder? We’re at Stanley Ferry, which is empty, as is Castleford boatyard. We are intending to cruise to Selby, turn then go down to Thorne before heading back to Woodlesford.

Thanks

If your really stuck then at Knostrop flood lock there is a Shell garage nearly half mile away from the canal that do red.   The BP station at Knostrop locks also sell red, but they a bit effy selling red as they got caught due to selling directly into cars.   There is also another shell garage here a bit further up which I think sell red.   There is also a garage near Woodlesford that sells red that is fairly cheap but I can’t remember the name, but it’s a car journey rather than walk with trolley away.

Edited by Robbo

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I’ve had a couple of 20l Jerry cans strapped to my pannier rack before.   It’s surprisingly easy, bit harder on the hills tho.

Thanks all very much. That rough guide is very helpful too!

There’s a new garage at Fall Ings lock that sells red. We’ll  turn there tomorrow after filling. So no bus or bicycle needed this time. ?. But a big lesson learned. We’ll try Selby when we get there.

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I’ve had a couple of 20l Jerry cans strapped to my pannier rack before.   It’s surprisingly easy, bit harder on the hills tho.

Not bad on the downhill I bet

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Tonksy said:

There’s a new garage at Fall Ings lock that sells red. We’ll  turn there tomorrow after filling. So no bus or bicycle needed this time. ?. But a big lesson learned. We’ll try Selby when we get there.

Oh, wouldn’t mind knowing where that one is if you have the info as it might be handy.  Edit, is it the BP Spar?

Edited by Robbo

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But just 1 litre would give about an hours cruising, a 5 litre can (well worth keeping as 'spare') will last most of the day and get you somewhere with diesel.

Not in Yorkshire it wont!

Edited by Robbo

29 minutes ago, Tonksy said:

Don't get hung-up with buying Red. 

You can use White its just a few pennies more - but you only need a 'little' to get you to the next 'marine supply'.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Oh, wouldn’t mind knowing where that one is if you have the info as it might be handy.  Edit, is it the BP Spar?

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Yes, I’ll let you know how it goes

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't get hung-up with buying Red. 

You can use White its just a few pennies more - but you only need a 'little' to get you to the next 'marine supply'.

Tbh it’s not the cost that’s the issue right now it’s the availability. 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Selby Boatyard sell diesel and there are, or used to be, 3 places in Thorne. 

Not any more they don't I'm afraid. Those of us moored there have to get it from the garage just down the road. The only boatyards nearly close that I can think of are Viking Marina and The Boathouse both in Goole.

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Not any more they don't I'm afraid. Those of us moored there have to get it from the garage just down the road. The only boatyards nearly close that I can think of are Viking Marina and The Boathouse both in Goole.

Ok, thanks.

Is this a seasonal issue? And because it's a less used waterway, or do most boaters have this problem?

3 minutes ago, Tonksy said:

Ok, thanks.

Is this a seasonal issue? And because it's a less used waterway, or do most boaters have this problem?

I am not particularly Au-fait with all of the Yorkshire waterways, but it is potentially a problem on most waterways, if you allow yourself to run down to critical levels.

The thing to take 'on board' is that it is better to have 'full tanks' and get fuel and water whenever they offer themselves.

It is not a problem with our current cruisier because we have a 10,000 mile fuel range (2800 litres), but when we had the NBs we would tend to fill up once a week whether we needed to or not.

Alternatively keep a 20 litre Jerry can filled and tucked away in the engine 'ole.

As the saying goes  - "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I don't think you'll be allowed on a bus carrying a jerry can so you better have some way of hiding it if you take a bus.

I bought a brand new jerry can which was still sealed in its packaging and was told to get off the bus on the grounds that they could not allow a container that may hold dangerous fumes ( jerry can) into a bus full of passengers.