Electric clothes dryer

aracer

Featured Posts

Spotted this in Home Bargains https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/13811-freestanding-electric-clothes-dryer.aspx

Has anybody used one or something similar? Are they any good? Was thinking of getting a washer dryer as I don't want to try and dry everything inside (the dreaded condensation) but thinking one of these under the cratch might work along with a twin tub instead.

6 hours ago, aracer said:

I know, but it looks very similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Home-Portable-Electric-Clothes/dp/B01M68XARH?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2 which claims 1kW (as does anything similar I can find) which isn't unfeasible for power consumption.

Tried one out a few Years back ,very slow and if you place it somewhere in the air to reduce condensation the modest amount of heat gets wafted away...

6 hours ago, aracer said:

I know, but it looks very similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Home-Portable-Electric-Clothes/dp/B01M68XARH?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2 which claims 1kW (as does anything similar I can find) which isn't unfeasible for power consumption.

Well, it should be for the majority of boaters unless they are on a shoreline, run a    1Kw plus generator or run the engine with a hefty alternator attached. 1kW & 12v = about 100 amps via an inverter, 100 amps for (say) 4 hours = 400Ah so battery bank size for optimum life = a minimum of 800Ah but at the load of 25% of total capacity   it requires a bank size of 1200 Ah.

If the cratch has its sides roilled up to ensure none of the water vapour gets through nay door vents  why not fit a washing line under the board.  If the cratch is to be left rolled down I suspect you will get  vapour through the vets because it wont be able to escape from the cratch very easily..

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, it should be for the majority of boaters unless they are on a shoreline, run a    1Kw plus generator or run the engine with a hefty alternator attached. 1kW & 12v = about 100 amps via an inverter, 100 amps for (say) 4 hours = 400Ah so battery bank size for optimum life = a minimum of 800Ah but at the load of 25% of total capacity   it requires a bank size of 1200 Ah.

And, its easy to supply 400Ah, but the difficult part is 'getting it back in' again.

I'd suggest trying to run it on batteries is impractical, the only viable option is a generator, but It'd probably be cheaper to go to a launderette, than run a genny for 4 or 5 hours.

8 hours ago, aracer said:

Spotted this in Home Bargains https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/13811-freestanding-electric-clothes-dryer.aspx

Has anybody used one or something similar? Are they any good? Was thinking of getting a washer dryer as I don't want to try and dry everything inside (the dreaded condensation) but thinking one of these under the cratch might work along with a twin tub instead.

Have you considered  JUST a twin-tub ?

Use almost no 'lectric, very little water and cheap to buy.

The clothes that come out of the spinner are much dryer than our 'automatic' at home almost dry enough to wear - put them out in the Sun for an hour and they are dry enough to put-away.

If it is Winter time, then you will have the heating on so put them on the bathroom radiator switch on the extractor fan or open the window.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you considered  JUST a twin-tub ?

Use almost no 'lectric, very little water and cheap to buy.

The clothes that come out of the spinner are much dryer than our 'automatic' at home almost dry enough to wear - put them out in the Sun for an hour and they are dry enough to put-away.

If it is Winter time, then you will have the heating on so put them on the bathroom radiator switch on the extractor fan or open the window.

I can second Alan on this. The spin driers on manomatic twin tubs are much better than the spin cycle on a front loading automatic washing machines. My walk through bathroom ended up with two mushroom vents. These ventilate the room very well. There is a finrad in there too for heat in winter. I have a set of washing lines at ceiling height, on cup hooks, so they can be removed and not accidentally garrotte tall people. The combination works very well all year round for clothes drying. Never been tempted to get a whirlygig outdoor line set up on the boat. Boat living is all about minimising power consumption, while still retaining a level of civilisation you are comfortable with.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Just to agree with Alan and Jen, a good spin dry will do more to cut the dying time and condensation that anything else. With smaller or cheaper washing machines it's often the spin cycle that is reduced as compromises are made in manufacturing and with older machines the spin speed can often be the first thing to lose quality. You also mention a washer dryer and I can understand the temptation when you have limited space but I've never used one that I could recommend, to be honest though I haven't used than many. 

Failing everything else Bizzard or it would appear SuperBizz to his friends will take a fan of some sort possibly a ceiling fan, a clothes horse, and a cylinder hoover tie them together with meccano and that should be you sorted. ?

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

always amuses me that some folk want all the modern energy consuming gadgets and conveniences of a bricks and mortar home whilst living in a boat, away from a mains connection.    a bit like glamping.  

How do we know he is away from mains hook up? When on mains hook up we even use an electric kettle. Fred and Wilma Flinstone may not have. Lots of us full time liveaboards prefer not to live like cavemen just like peeps who live in imoveable dwellings innitt. I am on hook up at present and even cook with the amazing air fryer quite often and immersion for water is on 24/7.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Failing everything else Bizzard or it would appear SuperBizz to his friends will take a fan of some sort possibly a ceiling fan, a clothes horse, and a cylinder hoover tie them together with meccano and that should be you sorted. ?

Channel the fan from the stove fan, they’ll dry in no time then!

Edited by Robbo

11 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

On a boat with pigeon boxes, make a hanger system below the boxes, then hang wet clothes to dry, having first opened up the box lids/vents/whatever the word is. No energy and the warmth of the boat creates a gentle flow of air up and out, taking water vapour with it.

er, what are pigeon boxes?

Thanks for the comments - I'll have a think about just trying a twin tub then, I think I can find the space for a washer/dryer but I've never been all that keen. I guess I'm concerned about condensation on the boat at this time of year (it's not a big issue in the summer), but it sounds like there are ways to avoid adding too much moisture - I also seem to be getting the hang of how to avoid that normally. Things might be changing a bit for me in terms of how much I need a washer on the boat though.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

How do we know he is away from mains hook up? When on mains hook up we even use an electric kettle. Fred and Wilma Flinstone may not have. Lots of us full time liveaboards prefer not to live like cavemen just like peeps who live in imoveable dwellings innitt. I am on hook up at present and even cook with the amazing air fryer quite often and immersion for water is on 24/7.

Indeed - I'm thinking about this for use mainly when on hookup - when I'm in a marina where we're not supposed to hang washing outside. Thinking about an electric kettle because clearly using electric for stuff is relatively cheap.

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

Channel the fan from the stove fan, they’ll dry in no time then!

Oh - I don't have a stove fan! Should I get one? ??

3 minutes ago, aracer said:

Well, we cannot really laugh at you and your belief in 'snake oil' until you have one.

4 minutes ago, aracer said:

what are pigeon boxes?

'Sky-lights'.

Basically windows that are on the roof of the boat, they are at about 30 degrees to each other hinged in the centre and open up (a bit similar to the DeLorean car doors)

The 'windows' open for ventilation.

Image result for boat pigeon box

1 hour ago, aracer said:

er, what are pigeon boxes?

Thanks for the comments - I'll have a think about just trying a twin tub then, I think I can find the space for a washer/dryer but I've never been all that keen. I guess I'm concerned about condensation on the boat at this time of year (it's not a big issue in the summer), but it sounds like there are ways to avoid adding too much moisture - I also seem to be getting the hang of how to avoid that normally. Things might be changing a bit for me in terms of how much I need a washer on the boat though.

Indeed - I'm thinking about this for use mainly when on hookup - when I'm in a marina where we're not supposed to hang washing outside. Thinking about an electric kettle because clearly using electric for stuff is relatively cheap.

Precisely. What makes me giggle is how peeps who live in house sometimes complain over their utility bills. In reality electricity is near enough free. At our present mooring where the leccy is not the cheapest Ive had our bill if we try realy realy hard can reach two quid a day but its usualy less than one pound fifty including hot water, washing machine etc etc. My last leccy bill for a period of 35 days was 46.75. When on hook up you could try one of those heaters but of course a qood spin to get the clothes near dry first will be advantageous. 

I've been here just over a month and my first £5 electric card ran out yesterday. Mind you I don't have immersion heater, washing machine etc., but I'm not good at turning lights off (they're mostly LED), I have a fridge and now also a toaster and microwave (I guess my consumption is now a bit higher than it was). I also have a 2kW fan heater which I've run for a couple of hours - I figured it might be relatively economic heating with electric, though I need to do some proper measurements and/or find out exactly what the cost of electric is. Checking out the calorifier to see if I can fit an immersion is also on my list of jobs.

p.s. I should just say thank you to everybody, these forums are a mine of information for newbies like me trying to work out how to do stuff.

Edited by aracer
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, aracer said:

I also have a 2kW fan heater which I've run for a couple of hours - I figured it might be relatively economic heating with electric

Electric heating will be about double the cost of a stove or diesel heater.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, aracer said:

- I'm thinking about this for use mainly when on hookup - when I'm in a marina where we're not supposed to hang washing outside. Thinking about an electric kettle because clearly using electric for stuff is relatively cheap.

1.  Should reread "ONLY" unless you can  meet the conditions set out in my post post 5 and also consider Alan’s post number 8.

2. Ditto the electric kettle but as it is normally running for a much shorter time it's not so bad - - - - that should read good - at destroying batteries.

If you go down this route and then please get some battery monitoring equipment and do a little  study on how to interpret it. (Plenty on other topics about this and which scales to totally ignore on the popular ones).