shoreline fridge

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

My shoreline fridge has ceased to function. It is the type fitted with a BD35 compressor motor and a 101N210 control unit. I connected a LED to read the fault and there were about 4 or five flashes but not of a consistant period each and repeating at less than the 4 second interval that the instructions suggest. I think that either the ECU or the motor is at fault. No voltage activity on the phase windings. I have measured the resistance between each of the three phases as 2.5 ohms which would seem to be OK but as I don't have a circuit for the ECU and could only change the capacitors in any case.

Questions are:- Do these ECU's fail often or is it likely to be another problem(checked thermostat, voltage etc)? I have seen replacements on ebay for about £80 so I might chance it but if , for example the motor has ceased would it just blow a replacement ecu?

Thanks

But did you check the voltage at the instant of motor start, so not with a voltmeter, more like a scope? These are very well known for being fussy about supply cable size because of voltdrop and I doubt you can measure that on start up with a meter.

Your description of the flashes does not seem to suggest a low start up voltage problem but who knows. Is the LED securely connected?

Unfortunately I gave my Shoreline type ECU away to a London Boater who would not come and collect it, insisted I post it, and then said it was the wrong one so I can't offer you that.

On 16/11/2018 at 17:25, Mike Adams said:

My shoreline fridge has ceased to function. It is the type fitted with a BD35 compressor motor and a 101N210 control unit. I connected a LED to read the fault and there were about 4 or five flashes but not of a consistant period each and repeating at less than the 4 second interval that the instructions suggest. I think that either the ECU or the motor is at fault. No voltage activity on the phase windings. I have measured the resistance between each of the three phases as 2.5 ohms which would seem to be OK but as I don't have a circuit for the ECU and could only change the capacitors in any case.

Questions are:- Do these ECU's fail often or is it likely to be another problem(checked thermostat, voltage etc)? I have seen replacements on ebay for about £80 so I might chance it but if , for example the motor has ceased would it just blow a replacement ecu?

Thanks

Hi Mike

By ECU I think you maybe talking about the little black box on the back. 

Sorry but electricity is all a dark art to me and always will be!

I have a Shoreline fridge/freezer now 12 years old.

Half way, if that,  through it's life till now, still going strong,  mine died and a quick phone call to Shoreline sorted it.

A new one was supplied and all good since then.

Ring 'em?

Regards

James

Thanks

I am pretty sure it is the ECU (black box) now . Aparently lots of these fail after 5 or so years and mine just happens to be 2013. I can only see a youtube video in polish that may  indicate which transistors have failed so without a circuit for the ECU repairs have ceased. So I will fork out for a new and updated ECU and hope for the best.

8 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Thanks

I am pretty sure it is the ECU (black box) now . Aparently lots of these fail after 5 or so years and mine just happens to be 2013. I can only see a youtube video in polish that may  indicate which transistors have failed so without a circuit for the ECU repairs have ceased. So I will fork out for a new and updated ECU and hope for the best.

Reasonably priced here: https://penguinpalma.eu/site/product/danfoss-bd35fbd50-controller-1224v/

Post #3 here might help: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/danfoss-compressor-speed-controller.118993/