Window condensation

Featured Posts

Had our first break on the boat in colder climate and I was surprised by the amount of condensation on the windows. Led me thinking that boat windows generally are poor fitting and single pane, with little thought for security. Are there boats out there with double glazed panes with secure fixings or is this not really what occurs on boats?

There’s a thread about double glazing running at the moment. To find it use the search function, or scroll down till you come across it. 

You may be having problems because your boat is only used intermittently, as it’s a share boat, so always has some cold damping air inside the boat.

When I lived on board, which was for over 15years, the only times there was condensation was after a long shower, and then only in the bathroom, or after lots of cooking. 

58 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Had our first break on the boat in colder climate and I was surprised by the amount of condensation on the windows. Led me thinking that boat windows generally are poor fitting and single pane, with little thought for security. Are there boats out there with double glazed panes with secure fixings or is this not really what occurs on boats?

Keep the stove on and stop breathing is good for combating condensation.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

I have double glazing on this boat. We get zero condesation on the glass but plenty on the alloy frames. They are very substantial units and would take some smashing in but being a boat there is always a way in. The best thing is to live aboard and have a big dog provided the dog doesnt pant a lot and make condensation ?

• Haha 1

Or open a window. 

Heating and ventilation may seem inefficient but adds comfort. I would imagine double glazing only pays back if you live aboard.

I use a dehumidifier but mains electricity is required.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Use the stove to heat the boat, rather the diesel boiler and rads.  This way the stove dries out the air and any dampness in the boat, and it also pulls in fresh air from outside via the low level vents, which provides ventilation.

We very seldom have condensation on our windows probably because we seldom have all the windows closed. We sometimes close those on the windward side but the norm is for all windows to be open even when we leave the boat in winter. 

As above ventilation and leave boat ventilated when going home. We had a survey once done in December and I couldn't be there, the surveyor very kindly closed all the windows and mushrooms when he left, we returned 6 days later and everything was soaking wet inside due to condensation, opened all windows and vents, stoked up fire it took two days to dry out. We normally leave most windows open and all the vents, and return after a few weeks break to find it cold and slightly damp, fire on and we are dry in under 12 hours.

3 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Propane and butane also produce a stupid amount of water.

1 litre of water vapour per 1 litre of gas.

Divide the heat rating by the heat of combustion of propane, (available at http://www.seered.co.uk/folk95a.htm), to give the number of moles of propane consumed per unit of time. 4 moles of water are produced from each mole of propane burnt, so multiplying by 4 gives the number of moles of water produced per unit of time. Then, either:

multiply by 18gm/mol to achieve the mass flow rate, or multiply by 22.4 litres per mole at 25degC to give a volumetric flow rate at that temperature, then correct the volumetric flow to allow for the actual temperature of the combustion product gases.

We had condensation problems when we first lived on board full time, in winter. We took several steps to improve things:

1. Double glazing of windows with perspex inside using magnetic tape so can be removed in summer. Big improvement.

2. Fan in roof vent above cooker. High revving computer fan has made a huge difference to condensation  in cabin. also stops smoke alarm going off when making toast.

3. Bathroom is self contained from rest of cabin so terrible condensation following showers. Another computer fan in bulkhead shifts some air and blows heat into bathroom. Further fan in roof vent removes damp air. Extremely effective and one of best modifications on boat for years. 

4. When my wife bought a Karcher window vac I laughed at her. It is however one of the best bits of kit on the boat and can vac water off bathroom tiles, window and shower curtains in a minute. I have to humbly apologise to my lovely  wife daily, but it is excellent.

ps forgot, those large plastic containers with dehumidifying crystals are good. From hardware shops etc. 

Sorry for brevity.

Edited by Guest

On 16/11/2018 at 18:50, Naughty Cal said:

We have all of our windows and hatches cracked open when we are on the boat and never get any condensation. It is never cold either.

your boat is currently moored in Grand Canaria, right?

................  condensation in an unoccupied boat is almost inevitable unless you have plenty of ventilation - same as in a car parked outside in the colder months.  Use the car, introducing warm air at a typical humidity of perhaps 50% on a relatively warm afternoon, then allow the air to cool overnight by perhaps 15C bringing the temperature below the dew point - the moisture in the air will begin to condense, first on the cold windows - and then everywhere else if you do not ventilate, so everything on the boat will go mouldy.  It happens.

Relative-Humidity-Graph-e1367505504127 (1).jpg