First experience with side wind!

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Got 40 mph winds here at Wigrams today...seen two boats go for fuel and p/o this morning and struggled with the wind.    Happy sitting here next to a lite stove with the dog sleeping at my feet! 

If light winds then then would come out of my berth and back down to the service berth.       However even when the wind calms down to ‘only’ 20mph on Thursday and Friday think best plan will be leave the marina directly, turnaround outside at the Jnc then back into the berth.    Then only reversing will be directly into the wind when coming away from the berth.   

Spent fifteen minute mooring at Shobnall Fields here in Burton. Wide blowing a hooley over the playing fields and good old Nightwatch is the first resistance it meets. I wanted to moor on the off side and that is what I was going to do, regardless.

Roll on 4 o'clock when the winds die down. Same thing tomorrow is forecast. Oh! How I love boating.

On 12/03/2019 at 18:53, Dharl said:

Yes winds this week are strong!    We are using Honeystreet as a Holiday cottage this week whilst off exploring, and avoiding wind, rain and snow (yes had some on Sunday night!).    Like the OP on Friday we have to shift for a p/o before the wind returns...... not quite the boating holiday I was looking forward to but still good.    Walked up Hatton 21 yesterday and up the NAPTON flight this afternoon in a rare bit of sun.    Inspected Lock 9, ( good job) and pint in The Folly (Old Hockey’s, very nice).  

That should be Old Hookey -  a fine local ale!

7 hours ago, Dharl said:

Got 40 mph winds here at Wigrams today...seen two boats go for fuel and p/o this morning and struggled with the wind.    Happy sitting here next to a lite stove with the dog sleeping at my feet! 

If light winds then then would come out of my berth and back down to the service berth.       However even when the wind calms down to ‘only’ 20mph on Thursday and Friday think best plan will be leave the marina directly, turnaround outside at the Jnc then back into the berth.    Then only reversing will be directly into the wind when coming away from the berth.   

Going down to boat at Calcutt Sat/Sun - hope it drops a little by then!

Before they put the hole in the ground on the left below calcutt it used to be a real pain, coupled with no towpath and the bridge at the top of stockton being too narrow for a breasted pair.  

so you had to tow out. Of course with two people you also had to shut the bottom gates.

several times we just came out hit the wind and blew up the bank.

a few times we just gave up left everyhing where it was and waited till the next day.

On 13/03/2019 at 19:24, Noggin said:

That should be Old Hookey -  a fine local ale!

Will blame auto correct on that one! Yes it was very enjoyable brew!