Money for Burslem Port

rupertbear

Featured Posts

I'm going to bump this one. I have no idea why the OP posted it, whether they live in the area, what their thoughts are. I hate it when people post a link with no comment.

I lived within walking distance for two years and have knowledge of the area. I'd like to see what others say before i express an opinion.

10 hours ago, rupertbear said:

Go on - what do you think? I hate lazy posts.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Ange said:

I'm going to bump this one. I have no idea why the OP posted it, whether they live in the area, what their thoughts are. I hate it when people post a link with no comment.

I lived within walking distance for two years and have knowledge of the area. I'd like to see what others say before i express an opinion.

I'm too perverse to click the link. 

Yes, lazy poster.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Ange said:

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Threads where the first post is a just a link are usually posted to cause trouble. They should be auto-deleted. 

I never bother with first posts that are a link and nothing else (sorry Rupert) I normally work on the premise that they're nefarious and up to no good. 

Which in this case is quite sad because this could have been an interesting discussion about a canal instead of us discussing peoples posting habits. 

I don't know the area but my knee jerk reaction is that any restoration of an old and disused canal is a positive thing. :)

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

Hang on! I took a quick opportunity to pass on a piece of news which I thought may be of interest to some here but which they may otherwise have missed. Apparently it's fine for several posts to query my motives and character without themselves adding anything of value, whereas my original post is to be condemned.

The reaction simply makes me not want to bother in future.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, rupertbear said:

Hang on! I took a quick opportunity to pass on a piece of news which I thought may be of interest to some here but which they may otherwise have missed. Apparently it's fine for several posts to query my motives and character without themselves adding anything of value, whereas my original post is to be condemned.

The reaction simply makes me not want to bother in future.

Understandable as you don't spend much time here.

If you did, you'd have known about the ongoing problem with 'link only' posts we've had here over the years. 

12 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

What is this - gang warfare?

Warfare has been the result of quite a few of the 'link only' threads in the past. But there is another reason not to do it. It is always good advice when on a computer not to click on unexplained links. They could be anything. 

15 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

What is this - gang warfare?

Absolutely not, Nobody ganged up on Mr Bear in any way, we simply stated it may have been in the best interest of the story if more had been said / given in the first post than just a link and why we thought that. Had we said nothing the link - which still isn't being discussed - would have fallen away into oblivion; and maybe now if some one, any one, thinks to post a link with out saying anything about it they might realise that it runs the risk of disappearing unnoticed if they don't at least say a little bit about it. 

12 hours ago, philjw said:

Well I found the link interesting though I couldn't easily work out where the arm to be restored actually is/was

It's at the north end of the Shelton steel works, which is now flattened. There is a car scrap yard close to the site of the junction.

I'd seen it elsewhere - the branch will be good for Burslem and, if the surrounding development is well planned could become a local and regional landmark.

I'd give the water taxis about 6 months before they go bust though, speeds on our canals just aren't up to it, you can walk faster. Trip boats are another matter

There was a piece on BBC Midlands Today yesterday about this plus this in their breaking news feed, not that it's breaking news really:

Canal restoration work set to start

There are plans to restore a canal in Stoke-on-Trent that dates back more than 200 years.

The Burslem Branch Canal opened in 1805 and was closed in 1961.

Volunteers have been working on trying to restore it since 2014.

Plans include the construction of a lit footpath, which would provide an off-road route from Middleport into the heart of Burslem Town Centre, with work expected to start in the new year.

• Greenie 1

So there you have it. A lit footpath. I heard a news story on Radio Stoke on Moday and they said much the same. The line of the canal is much used by dog walkers and nature lovers and the footpath will enhance their experience. No mention of reinstating the branch for boats.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Plans to restore the canal to Burslem have been a long term aim. Final success would provide useful mooring opportunities for boats. Improving the towpath would only benefit walkers and cyclists.

The very groups who pay nothing toward upkeep. I wonder how they would look upon toll collection houses spaced along the towpath?