Mulled wine recipe 2018

LadyG

Featured Posts

The only decent bottled mulled wine I have tried is the Sainsbury one, and it quite expensive [its Sainsbury's]

Here's my cheapo:

Vin Chaud  for one or two

one very large glass red wine from a £5.00 bottle Merlot, 

A clove, a tiny bit of cinnamon, two scrapings of nutmeg, a scrap of a bay leaf a nibble of star anise, and a third of a cardamon seed pod, a scraping of lemon rind and orange rind and a squeeze of lemon and of orange juice, teaspoon honey or sugar, a good splash of water. Heat in saucepan , cover, leave 4 mins, and strain in to a glass. 

After five days of experimenting you should be confident enough to invite company round.

Refer to Jamie Oliver recipe, where you have to faff about making a nice syrop first.

If its not peppery enough add a tiny twist of black pepper and a shot of vodka per bottle of wine or buy a bottle of something spicier like Syrah.

Edited by LadyG

18.00 I'm on my second glass now, it was  bit sweet so I added more wine! I think my eyes are popping out ?

19.30 Confession time, I think I'm getting a more mellow sample now  :) [day 1,  sample # 4], more body, more depth, yes its getting better and better, every day, in every way.

Slainte.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The only decent bottled mulled wine I have tried is the Sainsbury one, and it quite expensive [its Sainsbury's]

Here's my cheapo:

A clove, a tiny bit of cinnamon, two scrapings of nutmeg, a scrap of a bay leaf a nibble of star anise, and a third of a cardamon seed pod, a scraping of lemon rind and orange rind and a squeeze of lemon and of orange juice, teaspoon honey or sugar, a good splash of water. Heat in saucepan , cover, leave 4 mins, and strain in to a glass. 

After five days of experimenting you should be confident enough to invite company round.

Refer to Jamie Oliver recipe, where you have to faff about making a nice syrop first.

If its not peppery enough add a tiny twist of black pepper and a shot of vodka per bottle of wine or buy a bottle of something spicier like Syrah.

After 2 days of intense experimenting I would be in no condition to host anything, after 5 days....................

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

A clove, a tiny bit of cinnamon, two scrapings of nutmeg, a scrap of a bay leaf a nibble of star anise, and a third of a cardamon seed pod, a scraping of lemon rind and orange rind and a squeeze of lemon and of orange juice, teaspoon honey or sugar,

After buying that lot in Waitrose I doubt I'd get much change out of twenty quid....

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

After buying that lot in Waitrose I doubt I'd get much change out of twenty quid....

I know, but I bought them a year, so it was "store cupboard".

You can buy mulled wine teabag things, just add the wine and the voddie and the red wine, and more voddie, you are good to go.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I know, but I bought them a year, so it was "store cupboard".

You can buy mulled wine teabag things, just add the wine and the voddie and the red wine, and more voddie, you are good to go.

I'd rather just spend the £20 on a reasonable bottle of wine....

?

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

Here's my cheapo:

Are the bits, scrapings, scraps, nibbles and squeezes metric or imperial? ?

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Are the bits, scrapings, scraps, nibbles and squeezes metric or imperial? ?

Of course.

I've had a bit of a setback today as it seems the £5 Merlot is not going to last five days ............... I don't know how that happened, I used my smallest glass!

Edited by LadyG

• 1 month later...

I've just looked at this, and I am concerned that you are all taking a very wasteful approach, labour-wise and time-wise, to preparing mulled wine. It behoves you, as people of frugality, to be sparing with your time and effort, as well as your dosh. And you know that buying and preparing in bulk is much more economical.

So, given you are going to adulterate the wine with additives anyway, buy a chateau cardboard to make mulled wine out of. Invite friends around. Make sure you have a couple (no more than 2 should be required) of empty wine bottles with screwcaps (almost all NZ wine has screw caps and most NZ wine is of a good to high standard - plug for home country - so buy an NZ wine or two). Make the mulled wine with chateau cardboard, consume some with friends, decant remainder into previously emptied NZ screwtop wine bottles (this step does require some pre-planning, but I am sure you will manage!), and invite friends to return on the morrow. Repeat till all mulled wine is gone. And then start again. That should make winter appear to pass rather rapidly.

The perpetual party works until the day that some pratt, comes back to retrieve his full bottle of voddie, true story follows..

His daughter  [age 14] had been sick down the expensive curtains] apparently its a good idea to get them used to alcohol so they won't go mad when they're 18!

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The perpetual party works until the day that some pratt, comes back to retrieve his full bottle of voddie, true story follows..

His daughter  [age 14] had been sick down the expensive curtains] apparently its a good idea to get them used to alcohol so they won't go mad when they're 18!

All mine were reasonably alcohol prepared by the time they were 18 but didn’t stop the odd session of madness, though never down my curtains.

On 21/12/2018 at 14:37, Chewbacka said:

All mine were reasonably alcohol prepared by the time they were 18 but didn’t stop the odd session of madness, though never down my curtains.

Yes well fine if it was your own curtains, but not someone else's. 

I used to do a bit of experimentation in the the early teen years, and topped up the level in dad's whisky with tea after I finding a pencil mark on the label, how low can people sink?!

An' smoking RN, the real thing thanks to our Senior Service.

I  was naughty, it did me no harm,  or is that last just my opinion?

Edited by LadyG

I think yoof alcohol aversion therapy only works with whisky. I know a few folk who got very drunk on whisky just once, and now the merest whiff of it makes them nauseous. But doesn’t seem to work for other booze.

As to mullled wine, the pre-bottled stuff is disgusting but you can make a good version with just the wine (rough and cheap is best), cinnamon sticks and some sugar and lemon. You don’t need a massive ingredients list.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think yoof alcohol aversion therapy only works with whisky. I know a few folk who got very drunk on whisky just once, and now the merest whiff of it makes them nauseous. But doesn’t seem to work for other booze.

As to mullled wine, the pre-bottled stuff is disgusting but you can make a good version with just the wine (rough and cheap is best), cinnamon sticks and some sugar and lemon. You don’t need a massive ingredients list.

Pernod did that to me, bad enough going down but coming back the next morning was bloody unpleasant 

Oh and cider, never again

Trust me, the dash of vodka is what gives it the hype. Else its just a gluhwein best imbibed at the top of a toboggan run, at the top of an Austrian alp.

I'm a nutmeg person myself, one of your five a day: nuts are known to be a superfood, so double whammy.

If you ever stuck in Carlisle station just after xmas,  with your train stuck in Lancaster, try hot cider in the bar, formerly a waiting room. Food is OK .

Hot Spiced Cider

? ??️

Edited by LadyG