Pendle Narrowboats

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Shockabilly said:

All very interesting but bugger all to do with the original post!!!

At least we’re keeping the thread active while waiting for someone to come along who may have experience of Pendle. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Shockabilly said:

Thanks Ditchcrawler & Nightwatch...it's nice to be heard!!!

Some bugger must know something about Pendle, they've built plenty of both narrow & wide beams.

Waiting in the wings...so to speak

It appears they are just a small volume boat fitting team using shells built by others. Many such companies have come and gone over the years. Some still remain.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A boat builder must surely be one who does the full build - other wise they are a 'hull builder' or a 'fitting out company', etc etc.

Logically, you'd think so, yes. But that is not the common usage.

What is more perplexing is whether a boat whose shell is built by one company and whose fitting-out is carried out by another should be named after the former or the latter. Our last boat was fitted out by Devizes Narrowboats on a Liverpool shell and was known as a Devizes boat. Yet our current one has a Mel Davis shell, fitted out by M.G. Boatfitting, and is referred to as a Mel Davis.

10 hours ago, Shockabilly said:

It’s no good, just ‘cos you started the thread, doesn’t give you any control over it. You’ve rubbed the lamp and a genie, six poltergeists and a LOT of smoke have emerged. ?

11 hours ago, Shockabilly said:

I'm pleased that you are finding the thread interesting, as am I. Topics on CWDF often do this - start on a particular subject and then develop into related discussions.

To use a motoring analogy, your question is akin to "Does anyone know anything about TVR Tuscans?" Many members will not have heard of them, some will have heard of them but no more than that, a few will have seen one and thought that it looked good, but no one will have actually owned one. Members have responded to your question to the best of their ability, but it seems that none has personal knowledge of Pendle Boats (my only input is that I assume they're built or fitted out in Lancashire, as that's where the River Pendle is).

Now just wait, someone will pop up and tell as that they love their TVR Tuscan.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

Logically, you'd think so, yes. But that is not the common usage.

What is more perplexing is whether a boat whose shell is built by one company and whose fitting-out is carried out by another should be named after the former or the latter. Our last boat was fitted out by Devizes Narrowboats on a Liverpool shell and was known as a Devizes boat. Yet our current one has a Mel Davis shell, fitted out by M.G. Boatfitting, and is referred to as a Mel Davis.

Probably a 'quality perception' thing.

Who'd want to say they had a 'Liverpool' boat when they could say they had a Devizes boat ?

Likewise with  quality shell such as a such as a Mel Davis you'd be proud to say its a Mel Davis boat.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Who'd want to say they had a 'Liverpool' boat when they could say they had a Devizes boat ?

Likewise with  quality shell such as a such as a Mel Davis you'd be proud to say its a Mel Davis boat.

Yes, I thought of that and it's a possibility. But I think that it depends more on whom you order the boat from.

We ordered our last boat from Devizes, who then went and got a Liverpool shell to fit out for us (they also used Pinder shells). We ordered 'Trojan' from Mel Davis, who does no fitting out beyond installing the engine and running gear; he then arranged with M.G. to fit out the shell which he built for us.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

To use a motoring analogy, your question is akin to "Does anyone know anything about TVR Tuscans?" Many members will not have heard of them, some will have heard of them but no more than that, a few will have seen one and thought that it looked good, but no one will have actually owned one. 

I've heard of TVR Tuscans but know no more than that. About the same as my knowledge of Pendle Narrowboats.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Now just wait, someone will pop up and tell as that they love their TVR Tuscan.

Almost but not quite. A mate of mine has one and I’ve driven it. For a 21st century car it was amazingly reminiscent of something from the 70’s. It rattles and bits fall off but it’s throaty and pretty fast. The owner is Swedish and as he reattached the battery cover - a piece of bent aluminium held on with two automatically unscrewing self-tappers - he smiled and said “British engineering, eh?”  

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that’s quite likely. However Mike’s point below sounds even more probable to me. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I think that it depends more on whom you order the boat from.

We ordered our last boat from Devizes, who then went and got a Liverpool shell to fit out for us (they also used Pinder shells). We ordered 'Trojan' from Mel Davis, who does no fitting out beyond installing the engine and running gear; he then arranged with M.G. to fit out the shell which he built for us.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Strange isn't it, this is a Stowe Hill boat, and is featured here on the Mel Davis website.

ven_132.jpg

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Braidbar have built 170 luxury Narrowboats, they all have Braidbar painted on the side but Tim Tyler did a lot of the hulls. 

176 at the last count. By no means all of them have Braidbar on the side, it’s the owner’s choice.