Plastic pipe. Does it matter what brand fittings.

Clodi

Featured Posts

I'm looking to buy some 15mm plastic pipe and at the moment Screwfix have a good OFFER FloFit 50m for £39.49.

Question is, does it matter what make fittings I use with the pipe? I'd like to use Hepo2 fittings.

I must admit I usually use compression fittings with inserts allough recently fitting a washroom in an attic conversion I used the copper push-fit on copper pipe to great effect.

In my experience trying to re-plumb Flamingo with a mix of new and re-used 15mm barrier pipe, it is by no means all the same.

The main difference I encountered was with internal diameters.

Using the latest types of JG Speedfit pipe inserts, (which actually have mini O rings on the bit that pushes into the pipe), I fund that on some types they dropped in with no resistance at all.  However with the proper Speedfit pipe they were a snug fit, but could be removed again if you wanted to.  However with other pipe they ether had to be hammered in, (quite literally), and were destroyed if you tried to remove them again.

Electing to not wish to create a bodge, I decided to only re-use pipe that the Speedfit inserts would go in to easily, but seal in a useful way, and I scrapped any other non matching pipe.

I don't know what inserts Hep2O now uses - it probably lacks the extra O rings, but even so I doubt if Hep2O inserts will snugly ft all available 15mm barrier pipe, because there are significant differences in internal diameter.

One further point.  If you buy 50m pipe as a roll, you have to live with the fact that unless tightly clipped at very regular intervals, it will always want to go back to roll shape.  I bought a large roll, but got so fed up with it looking untidy because it wasn't always possible to keep it straight, that I aso bought 3m lengths that stay straight.  If it is going to be visible I much prefer plumbing with the latter.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If you buy 50m pipe as a roll, you have to live with the fact that unless tightly clipped at very regular intervals, it will always want to go back to roll shape.

I’ve often wondered if judicious use of a heat gun could discourage this tendency. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ve often wondered if judicious use of a heat gun could discourage this tendency. 

No idea, but (other than possible wastage f resulting short offcuts) I didn't find it cost a lot more to buy it in straight lengths

A 50m roll is probably no great bargain if you actually use 40m or less, and the rest ends up unused.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I'm looking to buy some 15mm plastic pipe and at the moment Screwfix have a good OFFER FloFit 50m for £39.49.

Question is, does it matter what make fittings I use with the pipe? I'd like to use Hepo2 fittings.

I must admit I usually use compression fittings with inserts allough recently fitting a washroom in an attic conversion I used the copper push-fit on copper pipe to great effect.

As others have sort of said, the fittings are all sized the same, it’s the accuracy of the pipe that seems to vary a bit.  I used mainly speedfit fittings and never had one fail.

1. Speedfit supply inserts both with and without O rings.  You must use the withouts for compression fittings and not the withs.  Otherwise you can use either.

2. Doing my Webasto I was supprised to read in the installation manual a strong recommendation NOT to mix suppliers of pushfit. I always use all JG speedfit.

13 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

1. Speedfit supply inserts both with and without O rings.  You must use the withouts for compression fittings and not the withs.  Otherwise you can use either.

2. Doing my Webasto I was supprised to read in the installation manual a strong recommendation NOT to mix suppliers of pushfit. I always use all JG speedfit.

That is what I was told. 

As said, use matching inserts from the same manufacturer, the fittings shouldn't matter. Using straights is a lot better for direct runs, but bear in mind thermal expansion for long runs.

BES have some pretty keen prices if you can order over £40 and take delivery:

https://www.bes.co.uk/15-mm-x-50-m-qual-pex-plastic-barrier-pipe-coil-white

https://www.bes.co.uk/qual-pex-plastic-barrier-straight-pipe-white-15mm-x-3m-19310

Edited by smileypete

I m must admit, I used the inserts with the o rings, but I wondered why. The way the fittings are designed, this should make no difference at all. Belts and braces?

As far as the tube in a roll is concerned, I hated it and wouldn't readily use it again. It's a pita to work with in a tight space and every time the heating warms up it goes all curvy, no matter how clipped it is. Next time, I would use copper tube and compression fittings.

The last few Travel-Van conversions I did I used plastic pipe and compression fittings and I quickly learnt that the pipe-inserts had to match the pipe. 15mm inserts from different brands didn't always fit.

I know what you mean about long runs looking untidy. I'll be using some finned pipe rads so they shouldn't really be on show. I think I'll use copper pipe and push fit where it'll be seen.

I like plastic pipe for the long runs without joints & the fact they are slightly more forgiving.

If this is for radiator/finrad circuits, you will presumably have anti-freeze present, so use of copper pipe is not an issue.

However, unless you are going to drain down when the boat is left unheated n winter, I would avoid copper pipe for fresh / potable water.  Plastic pipe is far more resilient to freezing conditions than copper is, in my experience.

• Greenie 1

Speedfit and Hep2o are both pipes which have a "memory" hence the problem of returning to a coil. Uponor the bees knees -once you`ve used it you`ll never go back. PLUS I`ve never had a leak in any fit-out -one boat and numerous houses in 14 odd years. You can hire the compression tooling needed if necessary. I`m so confident in its use I`ve even buried it in my underfloor heating - its got a 50 year guarantee.