Planning to take the plunge

joe hoyle

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Was it ever legal to ride a horse on the towpath?

I don't know about the legalities in times gone by but I'm sure it happened, boatmen's children would have sat on the horse as it walked along the tow path or if for some reason you were taking a fresh horse some where would you walk with it if it would let you sit in it? Today there are very strict rules about where you can ride a horse, they can be found in The Highway Code. I was only joking, much as it would be fun to have a proper boat horse not only would you be limited to very specific areas but any time it wasn't working it would need to 'stored' and you could never leave it unattended. It would be very limiting as a life style choice, even if you could legally.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And remember you shouldn't ride it on the towpath at all

Except in Stoke on Trent, the outskirts of Liverpool, inner city Manchester? CaRT are rapidly removing the towpath cycle barriers so motorbikes on the towpath must now be ok ???? ?

...............Dave

13 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I was only joking, much as it would be fun to have a proper boat horse not only would you be limited to very specific areas but any time it wasn't working it would need to 'stored' and you could never leave it unattended. It would be very limiting as a life style choice, even if you could legally.

But think of how much your roses would bloom with all the manure you’ll get!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I don't know about the legalities in times gone by but I'm sure it happened, boatmen's children would have sat on the horse as it walked along the tow path or if for some reason you were taking a fresh horse some where would you walk with it if it would let you sit in it? Today there are very strict rules about where you can ride a horse, they can be found in The Highway Code. I was only joking, much as it would be fun to have a proper boat horse not only would you be limited to very specific areas but any time it wasn't working it would need to 'stored' and you could never leave it unattended. It would be very limiting as a life style choice, even if you could legally.

Does the Highway code cove the tow paths many are not even rights of way

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Does the Highway code cove the tow paths many are not even rights of way

I've got a copy somewhere.... I'll have a look, but when it comes to horses it's usually you can ride on X Y & Z but any where that is not mentioned don't go on. Especially in England where there's no right to roam laws, a footpath even with a right of way for foot traffic isn't automatically accessibly for horse and rider. Bridleways/paths are always or should always be very visibly sign posted. 

E T A - If CRT aren't giving permission on their website in a really obvious way and stating where people do and don't have the right to ride then I would presume I can't go there. 

Edited by Tumshie

Once had to get a z1300 onto the boat over a gangplank. That was exciting, dont know what it weighed but nearly ended up in the Thames. We used to have a bmw r1000 on the boat regularly. I wouldnt think about lifts and complexity just a low flat tug deck and short metal ramps. Our main issue wasnt the deck it was the fact the bike was in the hold of a big working boat.

our first boat had a cruiser deck that would take a cb 200 honda easily.

16 minutes ago, joe hoyle said:

Might have to pick your brains on your experience Roland! 

And as for horses.... the legality is one thing, but I’ve never worked out where to put the petrol in. :) 

Not had bike since 1982!  Last one stolen Not allowed ‘ its bad enough you cycle racing without a motorbike’ ( and she is right)

6 hours ago, joe hoyle said:

As as for winter cruising, I’d love this. But I thought the risk of frozen canals and not getting to water / pumps out (if working) is worth the hassle? 

The answer to that is don't have a pump-out, have a proper toilet system.

For the Bike(s), how about a 'trailer'. This was has a lift up roof, with a hydraulic 'floor' which lifts up, ramps that go down/up to bank level and loads of storage space for tools, petrol etc.

It was designed for a Scooter & Sidecar.

Licenced as a canoe (about £8 per year) as BW could not think what to rate it as.

Victoria Plum 4.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Victoria Plum.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, joe hoyle said:

Unleaded or super? 

Depends how fast you want to go. ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For the Bike(s), how about a 'trailer'. This was has a lift up roof, with a hydraulic 'floor' which lifts up, ramps that go down/up to bank level and loads of storage space for tools, petrol etc.

Licenced as a canoe (about £8 per year) as BW could not think what to rate it as.

I just love that little garage. 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And remember you shouldn't ride it on the towpath at all

It is not that you shouldn't, it is illegal.

Towing Paths - Improper use of towing paths
31. (1) No person, unless authorised by the Board or otherwise
legally entitled so to do shall:
(a) Ride or drive any animal or vehicle over any towing path
(b) Obstruct any towing path or interfere with the authorised use
thereof
(c) Leave open any gate or rail used as a fence or part of a fence
alongside across or on any way leading to a towing path

From the definitions :

“vehicle” means anything on wheels, runners or articulated
tracks

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

thereof

From the definitions :

tracks

Mind you, CRT have a policy of not enforcing the bylaws so you can really.

48 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Not had bike since 1982!  Last one stolen 

That must have been the year for stolen bikes. My Suzi GS1000 got nicked that year and that was my last bike too. 

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

thereof

From the definitions :

tracks

I was trying to word it nicely :cheers:

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So its all right to break the law if you do not get 'caught' or prosecuted ?

judging by the feeling towards cyclists when ever they come up in conversation on here I suspect that if people start shredding the towpaths with dirt bikes there would be a hue and cry followed by a public flogging. I don't think CRT would be allowed to ignore it. 

On 14/11/2018 at 12:46, joe hoyle said:

Wow thanks everyone for the detailed replies everyone! 

I do love the idea of a tug for the motorbike and an engine room would also keep me happy whilst also having a good drying area. 

The main reason we’re doing this is to explore. I think well definitely get a narrow boat. Having looked at Apollo for barges and Widebeams for so long, I hadnt really realised how well some Narrowboats are designed for the sofa areas etc. 

We went to crick last year and saw some lovely new boats, however we decided then that we’d not like to buy new as they can experience so many teething problems. A tried and tested boat will keep us less stressed in the first year. 

I guess the dogs will have to learn to keep from under our feet! 

I have loads of other questions I’ll no doubt be asking in the future. But another big worry for us is winter mooring the boat. We want to have a small flat somewhere we can winter up, but how difficult is getting a winter mooring? Am I right in thinking these are bid for on the 1st October each year? And will a boat be safe leaving alone for two or three months during winter if not in a marina? 

Why would you want to exit the boat in winter  I know that present day the stoppages are OTT but if you are not confined to an area you can manage no problem ,in my working days I liked winter & a solid fuel heated NB is as good if not better than most land dwellings but each to his/her own my advise would be get a 70or near used NB & cruise to the available limits for 2or so years then change/modify boat to suit your likes/dislikes Don't over think it all you could probably have cruised for months but are still shall I in the words of the old adage shoot first ask questions after if required

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Why would you want to exit the boat in winter  I know that present day the stoppages are OTT but if you are not confined to an area you can manage no problem ,in my working days I liked winter & a solid fuel heated NB is as good if not better than most land dwellings but each to his/her own my advise would be get a 70or near used NB & cruise to the available limits for 2or so years then change/modify boat to suit your likes/dislikes Don't over think it all you could probably have cruised for months but are still shall I in the words of the old adage shoot first ask questions after if required

And if you don't want to cruise a nice winter mooring can be just convenient as a house.   Only real issue is probably filling with water if the tap is frozen.