electra and marfak

Sarah25680

Featured Posts

hi im looking for info on two boats that used to be part of the stanton iron works fleet boat no 59 which we know to have been called the electra  and boat no60 which was called the marfak later known has the cutlass my husbands family grew up on them boats we were wondering if anyone could share any info has we trying to do family tree and find out about  their life on the boats and would love to visit the boats if they are still about 

2 hours ago, Sarah25680 said:

Such a shame the picture below is of bothe the boats the family is my husbands dad he's the little boy and hubbys grandad and grandma

Stanton boats 59 and 60 1944.jpg

Long Eaton end of Stanton Ironworks possibly during late ww2 or just post. Cooled clinker/ash was loaded there for road construction My Grandpa (dads side) was lengthsman for that stretch at that time lived at Hallam Fields  I stayed with them for periods during WW2 as both my parents were employed on war production & worked nights  my dad was an artificial silk  spinner ( British Celenese / later Cautoulds Spondon )& Mum was lathe turning shell casings at a factory  on Cotmanhay Rd Ilkeston (after the war became a ladies stocking factory

Edited by X Alan W
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Sarah25680 said:

You will probably know the doughty family then 

Yes I knew of them & the  Safe family used to lock wheel to Jcn lock (entrance to Derby cut ) if they wanted help John safes son was a bit 'Fly' as he got me to work both sides of the lock when hes hould have worked one side didn't mind as I enjoyed it

Edited by X Alan W

20 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Electra is fast becoming part of the bank, no cabin and sitting in the mud.

The water in the open hull is covered in green weed.

Electra.png

This is Electra outside Uxbridge boat centre waiting for a new prop shaft and prop to be fitted after attending The Rickmansworth canal festival 1999.

Electra at Uxbridge 1999.jpg