Rope length for extra long centre line

Owl

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious now. What's the difference between a centre line and any other line? (Possibly only the length?!!)

point of attachment, point of no return, pivot point, plumb line, plumb bob, plumbing the depths, scaling the heights, squaring the circle, 

random ramblings

Edited by LadyG

I have boat exactly the same length as the OP, and two centre lines, one 30 ft and the other shorter with two permanent loops at different lengths (mostly used for dropping over bollards coming up to or going back to locks and swing bridges.)   Never has the 30 ft one been anywhere near the prop - why the anxiety about this when the back rope is much nearer the prop?

I've never felt the need to take a rope to the paddles - just tied to one of the much-reviled centre bollards or if not available, to a ladder, at a length to avoid hanging up or pulling over.

Not only is my boat the same length as the OP's - it may even be the same kind!  I note that your user name is 'Owl' - I have an 'Owl' class Mick Sievwright boat.

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not too long to go round your prop I suggest.

Agreed but with a short boat a rope that was long enough to be of any use as requested would go around the prop

6 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

why the anxiety about this when the back rope is much nearer the prop?

The back rope should be on the slide?

• Greenie 1

When  posted last night I'd thought the thread was about controlling the boat in a lock but as the original question was rope length, mines about 40 feet.  Having said that I also have two rear running ropes that I step off with, that are too short to reach the prop.  Mine run to custom fixings (well, they would, lol ) but could easily run to the centre eye.

Having said that, didn't have any clear photo to show what I meant, just been out to take one despite some very odd looks. ?

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Errrrr..... what white painted cleat???

I can't see one, and am most intrigued by what you say.

IMG_0290.JPG

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Agreed but with a short boat a rope that was long enough to be of any use as requested would go around the prop

I disagree. My slide is usually cluttered up  with stuff like plates, cups, maps, phone etc. No space on it for the stern line too. 

I like to keep it in an untidy pile on the counter...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Errrrr..... what white painted cleat???

I can't see one, and am most intrigued by what you say.

Pic shows it better, doesn't have to be on a slide of course, ideally on the overhang just above the front cabin doors.

Hopefully useful to the OP.

Obviously the aerial wouldn't be there to get tangled up in.....

Edited by NB Esk

17 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

When  posted last night I'd thought the thread was about controlling the boat in a lock but as the original question was rope length, mines about 40 feet.  Having said that I also have two rear running ropes that I step off with, that are too short to reach the prop.  Mine run to custom fixings (well, they would, lol ) but could easily run to the centre eye.

Having said that, didn't have any clear photo to show what I meant, just been out to take one despite some very odd looks. ?

IMG_0290.JPG

Thanks for the photo, I see exactly what you mean now. 

I'm still puzzled though. In a wide lock I find my centre line attached to the centre eye all I need, and can't see any advantage in looping it over a forward cleat just there. How does it help??

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious now. What's the difference between a centre line and any other line? (Possibly only the length?!!)

I guess you should pose the question to Tradline. They probably know what they are doing. ?

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for the photo, I see exactly what you mean now. 

I'm still puzzled though. In a wide lock I find my centre line attached to the centre eye all I need, and can't see any advantage in looping it over a forward cleat just there. How does it help??

It makes a huge difference Mike.  In effect you are turning the boat into a lever.  I'd only use it going up in wide locks, especially where flow from ground or gate paddles equalise or take over and send the bows across to the other side of the chamber.

I've followed seasoned boaters up locks who don't get why my boat wasn't thrown around like theirs just was.  The look on their face when the penny drops is priceless.  You could perhaps see if it works for you by fixing something temporary, maybe a welding clamp or similar?

12 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

It makes a huge difference Mike.  In effect you are turning the boat into a lever.  I'd only use it going up in wide locks, especially where flow from ground or gate paddles equalise or take over and send the bows across to the other side of the chamber.

I've followed seasoned boaters up locks who don't get why my boat wasn't thrown around like theirs just was.  The look on their face when the penny drops is priceless.  You could perhaps see if it works for you by fixing something temporary, maybe a welding clamp or similar?

Ah thanks, I see what you mean now, and I also see why I didn't get it originally.

When going up solo in wide locks down here, the cross currents are so fierce that my normal single handed method includes using the cabin shaft to reach down and get the bow line and tying it to the forward bollard lockside, before opening a paddle.

I do this at every lock without even thinking about it! I'm not sure a cleat on the roof would be strong enough given the work the bow line does when I fully open a paddle. I'll give it some more thought... thanks again!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

I haven't got a slide, whatever that is.  My back rope is on the back (cruiser stern) deck.

In my view the "rope could get around the prop" argument is much overstated.

In many cases a rope not long enough that it could get around the pro would be fairly useless to me in normal operations.

For example both out historic bats have "back end rails" - a rail across the front of the engine room, with a ring on that you attach a line to.  From there to the prop can;t be more than 18  feet, but an 18 foot rope n it would be a fairy useless thing.

A rope not long enough for its intended task is pointless.  Make it the length you need, but if it will reach the prop, be aware of that, and take more care that it doesn't!

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

In my view the "rope could get around the prop" argument is much overstated.

I agree.

My "long locking line" is one boat length plus twice the expected maximum depth of locks plus a bit more.

It is tied to the front T-stud and reaches up the lockside, behind a couple of bollards and back down to the stern where it is either tied off to the handrail (singlehanding) or kept hold of by the steerer.

It gives the advantage that the boat is held fore and aft in broad locks, the leverage discussed by  @NB Esk comes into play and the line is long enough to climb a lock ladder with both ends tied to the boat.

No macrame when ascending locks - just drop the line over a bollard or ladder and crack the paddles straight up.

Descending broad locks just a centreline is fine.

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1

Thinking outside the box here - how about one non snagging length line, join another to double the length and at that point fix a suitable length of bungee cord fastened at its other end towards front of boat. If line is dropped in the 'oggin the bungee will pull it forward away from the prop, needs to be quite thin bungee to easily stretch but strong enough to pull line forward.

27' boat would allow about 15' - 16', double that and you have the equivalent of a 60' boat centre line.