Pre Sale Inspection Help Required

peewhy

Featured Posts

Hello.

I'm now embarking upon buying a narrowboat in Hertfordshire/Middlesex.
I am totally clueless and wondered if there is anyone who can hold my hand, perhaps look at the boat and assist in viewing?

Edited by LadyG
Change ale to Sale in title [OP request]

Have you already found the boat you want looking at? Is it situated in herts/middlesex

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

I understand your predicament.  However, all the inspection in the world won't help.  The only way to know for sure, is to just drink the ale.

It had to happen.............I let it go but.................?

2 hours ago, peewhy said:

Hello.

I'm now embarking upon buying a narrowboat in Hertfordshire/Middlesex.
I am totally clueless and wondered if there is anyone who can hold my hand, perhaps look at the boat and assist in viewing?

Maybe we can start again - rather than teaching your 'grandma to suck eggs', it may help focus the answers to know what you already know, and what your plans are.

Just a few examples of information needed to be able to provide advice.

Are you planning on living on the boat ?

Do you need to stay in a certain area for work, family, etc ?

Do you know what licences etc are required to operate a boat ?

Have you been on a boat before (if so what, where, how long, etc)

Are you going to be single handed or do you have family crew on board ?

Are you planning on taking a mooring (residential or leisure) ?

Are you planning on moving every week to a new 'place' (called continuous cruising) ?

Where are you looking to 'keep' / base the boat ?

Are you planning to travel about 'a lot' or are you just looking for a 'floating flat' as a cheap way of getting onto the housing ladder.

I am sure that once you have provided some info, suitable boats could be identified for you and you may find someone who would visit with you.

If you are looking to be based in London there is a London Boaters Facebook page where you'll find someone who can explain the benefits and difficulties of boating in London.

Good luck.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

We are trying to help you, and in order to do this, we need to know a bit more, else you could end up in a very unhappy situation, Alan has asked pertinent questions, can you fill in the blanks please :).

A survey will cost best part of £1000 because the boat needs to come out of the water for inspection by a qualified surveyor.

Therefore it is essential to determine what type of boat is best suited to your needs.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, peewhy said:

My fault - I thought it was clear that I'm asking if there is anyone who can look at the boat.

I think that is understood - but - would it not be a good idea to 'look' at the boat and determine if it meets your requirements before travelling to see it, and / or someone else taking time off to look and then find it is not going to meet your requirements.

If you know nothing about boats, how do you know what you want - its like going to look at a car when you really need a van.

If you want a boat to live on, the specification and equipment levels required are VERY, VERY different to a boat that'll just be used for 'the day' or a weekend'

Outline your requirements and you will have loads of suggestions for suitable boats - you may need to travel to view them, they will not all be in St Albans.

48 minutes ago, peewhy said:

Thanks for all your help guys.
It seems I'm in the wrong forum.

I suspect you are not one for doing any research or you would be aware that:

1) This place is densely populated by people with narrowboat expertise beyond compare and therefore exactly the right place to ask... and,

2) You are asking someone to drive to Hertfordshire and use up (probably) best part of a day of theirs advising you on a potential purchase, so it would be courteous to answer some of the questions in advance so a potentially wasted day looking at an unsuitable boat can be headed off.

3 minutes ago, peewhy said:

So, essentially you don't know but rather act like smart arses to entertain each other. Great community spirit.
Strange hostile forum.

Yes it can be like that if people here think you are not pulling your own weight and expect to be spoon fed. 

• Greenie 2

How dare you ...muppet!!
Driving to Herts?? so none of you 'dense' population know someone close, to the marina!!
Wasting time?? if someone is being paid to assist, explain the time-wasting bit.

Why are you wasting your time spouting rubbish??

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, peewhy said:

How dare you ...muppet!!
Driving to Herts?? so none of you 'dense' population know someone close, to the marina!!
Wasting time?? if someone is being paid to assist, explain the time-wasting bit.

Aha, can you refer me to your post where you mentioned paying please? 

I charge £115.20 an hour for my time (including travel time there and back from here in Wiltshire) and would be delighted to attend and help you.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peewhy said:

How dare you ...muppet!!

tbh you need to wind your neck in just a tad, as stated before this forum is the font of all knowledge about living on the cut. why not answer some of the questions asked and as for the comment about you posting about batteries how very true,  now for my questions don't worry not many

1. why a narrowboat

2. how long have you been researching the ins and outs of living on the cut

3. will you moor in a marina or will you cc

• Greenie 1