Best type of insulation to use GRP

Tillymint

Featured Posts

Just now, MartynG said:

Okay  perhaps it's   FRP

Lol I'm not bothered what people call it, surprised no ones referred to it as a yogurt pot yet.  I just feel lucky to have it and I'm looking forward to having some fun on her next spring after I've picked all your brains on various refurbishment tasks, thanks for everyones input  ???

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not sure why yours would be built any different to ours but even the ceilings are double skinned with a smaller gap between the outer and the inner liner.

You can see the gap if you take any speakers, hatches, windows etc out.

Thankfully I have not had to take any windows out but the panels around the windows don't look like they are double skinned. But they are lined out with vinyl covered panel  which includes some padding - probably some foam.

example photos (not my boat)

f33int10.jpg

f33310.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 13/11/2018 at 10:55, Alan de Enfield said:

Press studs.

The 'base unit' screws into the GRP (with a dab of silicone behind it), or there are other methods (like a rivet)

The 'other' part is simply placed onto the canvas, hit with a small 'punch' that comes with the kit which punches thru' the fabric and fixes the top half of the 'poppa' by rolling the edges over.

I bought a kit from Aldi for a couple of pounds.

This pic may show better - 2 side windows, and a big cover for the front 3-windows.

Also good for when you leave the boat, protects the windows, saves the Sun bleaching internal fabric etc etc.

Easy-peasey (if you can measure and cut the fabric to the correct size.

CAM00020.jpg

Hi there, did you use a particular screw to attach the inner of the pop stud? I have to replace some on the cockpit canopy but also love your canvas blinds idea!

I’ve just got a ‘78 Dawncraft 27 a d am not sure if it’s GRP or Fibreglass 

15 minutes ago, JustJ said:

Hi there, did you use a particular screw to attach the inner of the pop stud? I

Just stainless steel of a suitable size.

DO NOT buy stainless steel screws from Ebay - one Winter, and you have rust stains running down the side of the boat (ask me how I know)

Pay the price and get proper marine grade stainless steel screws from a marine chandlery.

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just stainless steel of a suitable size.

DO NOT buy stainless steel screws from Ebay - one Winter, and you have rust stains running down the side of the boat (ask me how I know)

Pay the price and get proper marine grade stainless steel screws from a marine chandlery.

Fantastic, thanks so much for the advice!

Marine grade it is, it’s always good to pass on these little lessons ?

when making your canvas blinds did you double over the edges for the pops to go into?

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2" hem (doubled over) with the poppers about 1" in from the edge so the popper goes thru the double thickness.

Sorry to be a pain, did you use a particular glue for the hem? I’m new to all these materials and don’t want to erode its waterproofing! 

26 minutes ago, JustJ said:

Sorry to be a pain, did you use a particular glue for the hem? I’m new to all these materials and don’t want to erode its waterproofing! 

They are stitched.

Once canvas (and the stitching) gets wet it swells up and seals the stitching holes.

Its the same on all canvas covers - they will leak for the first rain shower but afterwards become watertight.

• Greenie 1

On 10/10/2020 at 23:07, Alan de Enfield said:

They are stitched.

Once canvas (and the stitching) gets wet it swells up and seals the stitching holes.

Its the same on all canvas covers - they will leak for the first rain shower but afterwards become watertight.

That's actually very good advice , my wife used to work in a caravan showroom ....she told me the amount of people that would buy a brand new awning and then come storming into the office complaining it leaked on the first rainy day,

My wife then had to explain to them about how it needs to swell and it would leak the first time.

• Greenie 1