Marine Japanese diesels.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Also English Electric and Sulzer as well as Paxman, Rushden Paxman and Napier, were initially marine diesels. The Paxman Valenta also powers the Woolwich ferries as well as the HST 125 trains of which have now been superceded by different engines, can't remember which, possibly General Motors diesels which power many modern railway locos these days. .

They did, also Liverpool Boats.

HST Power Cars have virtually all been re-engined with MAN diesels. GM/GE diesels are used in all modern diesel locos, and some re-engined locos (class 57s if you're interested).

Whilst Deltics were adored by rail enthusiasts (& still are) they were not much loved by those who had to maintain them. The fitters at Doncaster Loco Works (aka The Plant) gave a little cheer when they were scrapped. You never passed through the engine room when they were under power as (besides deafening you) they had the endearing tendency of putting a piston out the side of the engine, and sometimes even through the bodyside. This was referred to as "putting a leg out of bed".

On 13/11/2018 at 10:21, alan_fincher said:

I don't think any of the engines talked about in this thread can really be called true "marine" diesels.

They are engines designed and built for some other purpose that some other 3rd party has strapped additional bits to so they can be used in a boat.

In the yachting world Yanmar are generally considered to be among the best. They are fitted in most of the top quality yachts. Yanmar have been making marine engines for over 100 years

On 13/11/2018 at 14:46, dor said:

My Vetus M4.17 is a 1700cc Mitsubishi engine (S4L2).   The lowest I have set the tickover is 800rpm; below that it does get a bit jumpy.  I understand this is the normal tickover speed, although some set it a bit higher at 850rpm.  It's a good solid reliable engine, although I did have a head bolt shear.  Later models (post 2007 anyway) had higher tensile bolts fitted.  I only have a fairly ordinary silencer and don't consider it unreasonably loud; it is easy enough to have a conversation on the back when cruising (1400 rpm).  People have commented that it is a quiet engine.  It's under a semi-trad stern, and I do have  a sheet of soundproofing under the deckboard.

Similar to me. Oddly enough, I had a head bolt shear.  However, I tune the tick-over to as low as I can to get smooth running, but not as high to get shouted at for not slowing down. The noise is almost a fetish thing with me. All internal ballast was laid on thin foam sheets and packed with insulation material to stop it rattling. My whole cruiser stern is fully sound proofed with insulation panels fixed to all internal surfaces, with seals on all mating surfaces of hatch access plates,  with soft engine mounts (that magnify the 'wobble' but cut down vibrations at the higher tick-over revs. The engine has  fully flexible drive shaft and coupling to the prop, and with a flexible exhaust pipe connector and all water pipes and cables angled and curved to avoid direct longitudinal transmission of vibrations to equipment fixed to the the hull and bulkhead. There is also a large air vent in the hull body which has a large filter pad to allow adequate ventilation for the engine and the inlet air.

.... and still the 'noise' gets out.