Marine Japanese diesels.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

I have the canaline 42, goes like a rocket, should have got the 38 but I liked the 42 panel.  

On a serious note, I have had the 42 for 8 years and the only issue was needing to replace the cheap Chinese alternator. No overheating, new properly sized external skin tank helps, servicing it is almost a pleasure for whomever I get to do it.  I am too busy being retired.  I also added a hospital silencer and put noise limiting material around the engine ole.  Would I buy it again if ever needed (even though highly unlikely at this time)?   No doubt.

Edited by NB Lola

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks. They did sound great didnt they and they were oooge.

Certainly is an awesome sound - having checked wikipedia it turns out the railway locomotives bolted 6 'triangles' together to form an 18 cylinder, 36 piston engine. Then installed two of them to give 3300 horsepower.

Now if only someone made a miniature version that would fit in a boat...

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, phantom_iv said:

Certainly is an awesome sound - having checked wikipedia it turns out the railway locomotives bolted 6 'triangles' together to form an 18 cylinder, 36 piston engine. Then installed two of them to give 3300 horsepower.

Now if only someone made a miniature version that would fit in a boat...

There was a "baby Deltic" with half the number of cylinders, but 1100hp is still quite a lot...

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We used to travel from Donny to Goole once a month for years and years as a kid to see my Grannie. When we started doing this as a small child every single trip was by steam stagecoach. Very soon mum would say oo its one of those diesels newfangled steam trains and very soon after we never went again by steam horse. The transition on that trip anyway didnt take long at all.

Tweaked that a bit for you :D

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It would be of interest to see how few truly marine manufactured engines there have been? I am no expert as I like modern reliability. I think there is Bukh and maybe Kelvin? but as for Lister and gardner they are far from being marine engine only maufacturers. Anyone out there that can come up with a definitive list?

1 .  British Seagull

2.   .....................

2 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Mine is a mitsubishi diesel. Marinised by Thornycroft.

Fitted by myself - to replace an old BL 1.5. 

Two criticisms. It doesn't like slow tick-over speed under 600rpm (out of balance forces makes it lurch violently and try to jump out of the boat) and a bit noisy in my opinion (even with a good silencer).

My Vetus M4.17 is a 1700cc Mitsubishi engine (S4L2).   The lowest I have set the tickover is 800rpm; below that it does get a bit jumpy.  I understand this is the normal tickover speed, although some set it a bit higher at 850rpm.  It's a good solid reliable engine, although I did have a head bolt shear.  Later models (post 2007 anyway) had higher tensile bolts fitted.  I only have a fairly ordinary silencer and don't consider it unreasonably loud; it is easy enough to have a conversation on the back when cruising (1400 rpm).  People have commented that it is a quiet engine.  It's under a semi-trad stern, and I do have  a sheet of soundproofing under the deckboard.

Worked with a guy who went on to work for Napier he used to call the Deltic " Delightfully eccentric" Paxmans were another company whose engine served both rail & water along with GM & GE in terms of strictly marine the Scandinavians had a telephone directory size book listing marine engine of which a good # were 1 pot up semi diesels from around 5hp upwards to "Ginormous multi cylinder units "

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

Worked with a guy who went on to work for Napier he used to call the Deltic " Delightfully eccentric" Paxmans were another company whose engine served both rail & water along with GM & GE in terms of strictly marine the Scandinavians had a telephone directory size book listing marine engine of which a good # were 1 pot up semi diesels from around 5hp upwards to "Ginormous multi cylinder units "

Many moons ago, I sailed on quite a few ships with Paxman diesel gennys.  After 30 years, I no longer have the nightmares!?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Well many of the Kelvin;s now in canal boats started their life doing thinks like running the compressors for foghorns at lighthouses.  So hardly purely marine engines either!

I'm reasonably sure lighthouses are connected with the sea somehow, so even lighthouse engines must be 'marine'.

Damned if I can remember exactly what the connection is, though...

Just now, davem399 said:

Many moons ago, I sailed on quite a few ships with Paxman diesel gennys.  After 30 years, I no longer have the nightmares!?

You & me both the nightmares that is  the rail way Paxmans had problems with using a different manifold /turbo chamber that suffered cracking  causing shut down of the unit several different variations were tried & on a visit to fit yet a different version along with the chief engineer I sugested the marine manifold be tried this was poo whood by the C E & the rail hob knobs however Paxman asked if they could have a loco to "work on'" several manifolds were made/fitted but in the end a bog std manifold with modded out lets was fitted & as far as I know never had any further bother

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

My thanks for all the replies.  They did wander off a bit, but it was very interesting.

Wander off............WANDER OFF!! bloomin eck Arold they always remain bang on topic innitt ?

My advice is do not buy a Vetus engine as parts are just ridiculously expensive. For example: one set of piston rings last year: £92.50. Cylinder head gasket for the little 2 pot engine: £82.50. You may be able to get some of the parts from a Mitubishi plant motor dealer but even then they are only 10 or 20 percent cheaper. 

2 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

They were called deltics because they had six pistons in three cylinders arranged in a triangle (like greek letter Delta). The two pistons in each cylinder opposed each other and (almost!) met in the middle. Very cool!

Like this:

220px-Napier_Deltic_Animation.gif

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

From memory,Isuzu marine engines were built by HPI on Babcock Airfield Industrial estate. HPI were (I think still are) importers of Hitachi excavators,which use Isuzu engines.THey formed the marine division to build boat engines(and generators). Most of the staff were ex Lister. When the parent company decided to move the operation(to Doncaster?) The staff refused to go.That was the end of the marine division. Pretty sure Black Prince used a lot of Isuzu. I believe engine spares are no problem,gearboxes were PRM?.I am a bit hazy about the details,but I think I am correct.

Also English Electric and Sulzer as well as Paxman, Rushden Paxman and Napier, were initially marine diesels. The Paxman Valenta also powers the Woolwich ferries as well as the HST 125 trains of which have now been superceded by different engines, can't remember which, possibly General Motors diesels which power many modern railway locos these days. .

2 minutes ago, nebulae said:

From memory,Isuzu marine engines were built by HPI on Babcock Airfield Industrial estate. HPI were (I think still are) importers of Hitachi excavators,which use Isuzu engines.THey formed the marine division to build boat engines(and generators). Most of the staff were ex Lister. When the parent company decided to move the operation(to Doncaster?) The staff refused to go.That was the end of the marine division. Pretty sure Black Prince used a lot of Isuzu. I believe engine spares are no problem,gearboxes were PRM?.I am a bit hazy about the details,but I think I am correct.

They did, also Liverpool Boats.