Marine Japanese diesels.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think they ever were. Isuzu are a japanese base engine made for diggers and other small industrial applications. They need to be converted to marine use by addition of a heat exchanger, second pump etc by a third party mariniser.

Yes, that goes without saying - just as Beta, Canaline and so one don't actually build engines, they marinise them. There was a U.K. mariniser for Isuzu, whose name is almost but not quite on the tip of my tongue, something like HMG (yes, that's a paint company, I know, but it was some name like that).

29 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think any of the engines talked about in this thread can really be called true "marine" diesels.

They are engines designed and built for some other purpose that some other 3rd party has strapped additional bits to so they can be used in a boat.

Your purist's view is, of course, correct. But, for example, I believe that Beta market their products as "Beta Marine". Call it shorthand if you will.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Your purist's view is, of course, correct. But, for example, I believe that Beta market their products as "Beta Marine". Call it shorthand if you will.

If an Engine has had it's Cooling and Transmission modified as to be suitable for use in a Boat then it is a Marine Engine ?it has been Marinised..

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

It would be of interest to see how few truly marine manufactured engines there have been? I am no expert as I like modern reliability. I think there is Bukh and maybe Kelvin? but as for Lister and gardner they are far from being marine engine only maufacturers. Anyone out there that can come up with a definitive list?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

It would be of interest to see how few truly marine manufactured engines there have been? I am no expert as I like modern reliability. I think there is Bukh and maybe Kelvin? but as for Lister and gardner they are far from being marine engine only maufacturers. Anyone out there that can come up with a definitive list?

Sabb .Stuart Turner .Atlantic .Polar. 'undreds really... 

Edited by cereal tiller

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

If an Engine has had it's Cooling and Transmission modified as to be suitable for use in a Boat then it is a Marine Engine ?it has been Marinised..

Strange but true my old ex share boat had an unmodified Kubota in it no mods what so ever and it worked really well

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Volvo Penta build and have built many marine only engines.

2 minutes ago, billS said:

They also used to sell some marinised Peugot crap. I don't know if they still do.

IIRC the first real Marine Diesel that Volvo made was the PRO 40 6 Cylinder Diesel.Their larger stuff was Truck Engines that were marinised .am not conversant with VP Engine made in the last 25 years or so.if they got their Spares prices down they would be world leaders.

the Peugot/Indenoor Engine were ok but Fried Cyl. Heads at sustained high power.

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It would be of interest to see how few truly marine manufactured engines there have been? I am no expert as I like modern reliability. I think there is Bukh and maybe Kelvin? but as for Lister and Gardner they are far from being marine engine only manufacturers. Anyone out there that can come up with a definitive list?

I'd guess Ailsa Craig, and doubtless lots of bigger engines for sea-going craft (Mirrlees?)

There is a Mosque in Iran that is dedicated to Mr R.A.Lister. Pictures of im and his engines on the walls too. They love Listers.  When at prayer they don't face Medina in Saudi Arabia anymore, they face roughly Nor, nor west towards Dudley.

• Haha 1

Mine is a mitsubishi diesel. Marinised by Thornycroft.

Fitted by myself - to replace an old BL 1.5. 

Two criticisms. It doesn't like slow tick-over speed under 600rpm (out of balance forces makes it lurch violently and try to jump out of the boat) and a bit noisy in my opinion (even with a good silencer).

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Much like most listers then!

I never said otherwise!

Lister's did however supply variants specifically as their own marine engine, and with their own built gearbox, rather than just supplying units to a third party to marinise.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

But Beta don't make engines.

Calcutt used to badge their marinised engine with Calcutt Marine, but it didn't stop them having originated as BMC engines.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Well many of the Kelvin;s now in canal boats started their life doing thinks like running the compressors for foghorns at lighthouses.  So hardly purely marine engines either!

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But Beta don't make engines.

Calcutt used to badge their marinised engine with Calcutt Marine, but it didn't stop them having originated as BMC engines.

You are quite correct on both counts, as I said in post no.27.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'd guess Ailsa Craig, and doubtless lots of bigger engines for sea-going craft (Mirrlees?)

Even the Napier Deltic engines famed for the cass of railway locomotives generally known by the name "Deltic" stated their life for use in Royal Naval vessels!

Nobody ever said they are not a proper locomotive engine, though, I think

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

IIRC the first real Marine Diesel that Volvo made was the PRO 40 6 Cylinder Diesel.Their larger stuff was Truck Engines that were marinised .am not conversant with VP Engine made in the last 25 years or so.if they got their Spares prices down they would be world leaders.

the Peugot/Indenoor Engine were ok but Fried Cyl. Heads at sustained high power.

Alas their prices have not come down. Just paid £99.86 for two impellors :blink:

That's just the start of an expensive couple of months gathering bits ready for the lift out in January!

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Even the Napier Deltic engines famed for the cass of railway locomotives generally known by the name "Deltic" stated their life for use in Royal Naval vessels!

Nobody ever said they are not a proper locomotive engine, though, I think

Ooh, you've just taken me back to schooldays, standing on the platform at (probably) Doncaster station beside a Deltic and listening to, and feeling, it THROB. 

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ooh, you've just taken me back to schooldays, standing on the platform at (probably) Doncaster station beside a Deltic and listening to, and feeling, it THROB. 

Agreed. Indeed I did many times stand on Donnys platforms looking at the Deltics. proper beauties as allas we watched the demise of the steam era. Without refering to Goggle didnt Deltic mean Diesel electric?

Edited by mrsmelly

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Agreed. Indeed I did many times stand on Donnys platforms looking at the Deltics. proper beauties as allas we watched the demise of the steam era. Without refering to Goggle didnt Deltic mean Diesel electric?

I would guess so - and, also without referring to any sources, I remember that they produced 3,300 h.p.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I would guess so - and, also without referring to any sources, I remember that they produced 3,300 h.p.

We used to travel from Donny to Goole once a month for years and years as a kid to see my Grannie. When we started doing this as a small child every single trip was by steam. Very soon mum would say oo its one of those diesels and very soon after we never went again by steam. The transition on that trip anyway didnt take long at all.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They were called deltics because they had six pistons in three cylinders arranged in a triangle (like greek letter Delta). The two pistons in each cylinder opposed each other and (almost!) met in the middle. Very cool!

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

They were called deltics because they had six pistons in three cylinders arranged in a triangle (like greek letter Delta). The two pistons in each cylinder opposed each other and (almost!) met in the middle. Very cool!

Thanks. They did sound great didnt they and they were oooge.