Marine Japanese diesels.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Having decided to sell my boat primarily because to have the interior fit out I want would involve ripping the present one out and starting again. I really don't have the ,skill,or patience to make a good job of it.I have owned this boat for over a year now and so have a better understanding of what interior I want.

My next boat must have a modern Japanese diesel,but I don't know who's engine the various marinisers use.

For example,I think Nanni are Kubota engines [my preferred make] but Beta,Vetus,Canaline,Barrus,I don't know.

Could anyone enlighten me please as to which  manufacturers engine these marinisers use?

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Beta is a better marinisation of the same Kubota engine than Nanni.

If this is the case then why are the hire fleets in Norfolk almost always using Nanni when they fit out a new boat or rengine an older one?

ETA: We quite like the little Nanni diesels. They are very smooth and quiet when compared to some of the other engines we have come across in hire boats.

Edited by Naughty Cal

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If this is the case then why are the hire fleets in Norfolk almost always using Nanni when they fit out a new boat or rengine an older one?

They're also used in the Locaboat hire fleet in France (and possibly elsewhere).

Perhaps the clue lies in how much boat they have to push around? Broads cruisers and French pénichettes are quite light in weight whereas a narrowboat typically weighs in excess of ten tons. Maybe Beta engines excel under this heavier load?

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

They're also used in the Locaboat hire fleet in France (and possibly elsewhere).

Perhaps the clue lies in how much boat they have to push around? Broads cruisers and French pénichettes are quite light in weight whereas a narrowboat typically weighs in excess of ten tons. Maybe Beta engines excel under this heavier load?

No idea.

The Le Boat we had in France was also using Nanni, as I believe most of their fleet do.

In fact the engine and drive was the one redeeming feature of Capri. It was by far the smoothest and quietest we have had yet, started easily even on the colder mornings, not a hint of smoke from it and no diesel smell.

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

In fact the engine and drive was the one redeeming feature of Capri. It was by far the smoothest and quietest we have had yet, started easily even on the colder mornings, not a hint of smoke from it and no diesel smell.

So it was Crapi apart from that?

50 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

ETA: We quite like the little Nanni diesels. They are very smooth and quiet when compared to some of the other engines we have come across in hire boats.

There is a Nanni main distributor in Norfolk , I have purchased Engines from them in the past but prefer to deal with Beta who seem to have an innovative approach to problem solving. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't know the answer to your specific situation but maybe it depends on whether the hire fleet is large enough to do all of its own maintenance and replacement. On the canal system, it is important to determine which engines have the best coverage in terms of engineers and spares, unless you are especially competent yourself (I am not!) As far as I can see, Beta still win on those grounds even though others, such as Canalline seem popular with hire fleets where the capital cost will be much more important. Depending on the business model of the hire fleet, it may also be that they operate on a fairly short life approach, selling them on after five years once the asset starts to depreciate quickly. Larger firms are sensitive to their total capitalisation especially if they depend on shareholder investment. Most private narrowboats will be expected to last a lot longer, even allowing for their lower level of usage per year - long term availability of spares is a consideration.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Beat me to it!

I don't think that Isuzu marine diesels are available in Britain any more.

Yes but the op may well be buying a boat with one fitted. Isuzu were extremely highly thought of by hire fleet owners, so much so that Dave used to take used isuzu out of boats he sold and fitted brand new betas in their place on sale of boat. 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Beat me to it!

I don't think they ever were. Isuzu are a japanese base engine made for diggers and other small industrial applications. They need to be converted to marine use by addition of a heat exchanger, second pump etc by a third party mariniser.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't think any of the engines talked about in this thread can really be called true "marine" diesels.

They are engines designed and built for some other purpose that some other 3rd party has strapped additional bits to so they can be used in a boat.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think any of the engines talked about in this thread can really be called true "marine" diesels.

They are engines designed and built for some other purpose that some other 3rd party has strapped additional bits to so they can be used in a boat.

This is of course true. But it has to be said they are extremely good and extremely reliable to a point of being boringly so. The only REAL boat engine I have owned was a Bukh which was superb. My first boat had an air cooled Lister but lister were produced to power owt they could be bolted on to.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So it was Crapi apart from that?

It was the worst boat we have ever hired other than the engine!

Hoping that the next one in Belgium is somewhat better!

28 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't know the answer to your specific situation but maybe it depends on whether the hire fleet is large enough to do all of its own maintenance and replacement. On the canal system, it is important to determine which engines have the best coverage in terms of engineers and spares, unless you are especially competent yourself (I am not!) As far as I can see, Beta still win on those grounds even though others, such as Canalline seem popular with hire fleets where the capital cost will be much more important. Depending on the business model of the hire fleet, it may also be that they operate on a fairly short life approach, selling them on after five years once the asset starts to depreciate quickly. Larger firms are sensitive to their total capitalisation especially if they depend on shareholder investment. Most private narrowboats will be expected to last a lot longer, even allowing for their lower level of usage per year - long term availability of spares is a consideration.

The hire fleets on the Broads tend to have older boats in their fleets. Of course the Elite Fleet and Platinum Fleet boats are newer with more modern designs but they don't tend to sell the boats off until they have done their work completely. 

Thus the thinking that the Nanni can't be such a bad engine as it will be expected to be racking up plenty of hours in service over the years.