Please can we have our dredger back?

NB Esk

Featured Posts

That line does look as if it could well come off the bollard if the dredger drifts astern, perhaps pulled by the flow towards that weir, but at the left of the photo is there another line which is preventing that happening?

I didn't know there was a film of Mr Pye, but I read Mervyn Peake's book. I gave it 3.14 out of 5

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

That line does look as if it could well come off the bollard if the dredger drifts astern, perhaps pulled by the flow towards that weir, but at the left of the photo is there another line which is preventing that happening?

Yes, but that would have ruined the joke :D

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I didn't know there was a film of Mr Pye, but I read Mervyn Peake's book. I gave it 3.14 out of 5

:clapping:Excellent. I was trying to think of a pi joke but failed.

56 minutes ago, Peter X said:

You're just about on the money Peter.  There's a loop that runs through that closed fair lead (between the bollards) which then drops over the rear bollard (out of shot).

I'd have mentioned it sooner but didn't want to spoil the opportunity for mickey taking. :P ?

On 11/11/2018 at 12:44, NB Esk said:

This came floating downstream in the early hours, gently kissed the stern of a tug and then settled against the barrier.  It had been moored in the basin under the flats at the start of Thornes cut.  No flow to speak of, or it could have been interesting, no doubt Crt will be wanting it back tomorrow....

Ya know, most people just find stray dogs ?  Has the wandering dredger been recovered?

12 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Ya know, most people just find stray dogs ?  Has the wandering dredger been recovered?

Hey up, we made it feel welcome (and secure ?) gave it a bit of a fuss.  Probably have to go check on it later as nobody wants it at the mo.  Think collecting it might clash with T break.....?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Hey up, we made it feel welcome (and secure ?) gave it a bit of a fuss.  Probably have to go check on it later as nobody wants it at the mo.  Think collecting it might clash with T break.....?

What about the blue string clamp release fee? ?

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'll give you fifty quid for it....

I'll up that to £55 if you can deliver it

We are in desperate need of some dredging, postcode for delivery is SW1A 0AA

Edited by Jess--

On 11/11/2018 at 13:12, bizzard said:

A brilliant film is ''Mr Pye'' set on the Isle of Sark where no motor vehicles are allowed. The film crew carried they're gear about in a Citroen 2CV with its engine removed and pulled by a horse.  Derek Jacoby is the other star of it.  The film is on U Tube.

That'll be a Citroen 1CV then.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

?Aye, there's little stands between a working bod and their tea - speaking from personal experience only you understand. Well I'm glad it's happy and made some new friends. :giggles:

45 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What about the blue string clamp release fee? ?

? Don't you start...

14 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

?Aye, there's little stands between a working bod and their tea - speaking from personal experience only you understand. Well I'm glad it's happy and made some new friends. :giggles:

The dredger is THORNE, so geographically it's happy to be close to HATFIELD.....?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Well done for the rescue, I'm sure CaRT will be very grateful.  ?

8 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Well done for the rescue, I'm sure CaRT will be very grateful.  ?

Ta, we didn't put too much effort in, didn't want to unnerve the dredger:giggles:   They've been on the phone about it, so I guess someone will turn up..

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Ta, we didn't put too much effort in, didn't want to unnerve the dredger:giggles:   They've been on the phone about it, so I guess someone will turn up..

How far had it trundled on its own before it got you? 

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

I'll up that to £55 if you can deliver it

We are in desperate need of some dredging, postcode for delivery is SW1A 0AA

Can be moved by water, but would probably be delayed by winter stoppages, and the river police will take a dim view of someone delivering a boat there without prior permission.

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

How far had it trundled on its own before it got you? 

It was in the basin at the start of Thornes cut, probably 300 yds upstream.  There was little in the way of flow so I guess it would have taken maybe 15 mins to get down to us.  It clipped the stern of WEST RIDING which deflected it to the other bank.  Just sat there then, looking all apprehensive like, 'till we noticed it.

It wasn't until we realised it wasn't tied up that we twigged what had happened, we just thought it was remarkably quiet for a dredger, lol...

4 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Can be moved by water, but would probably be delayed by winter stoppages, and the river police will take a dim view of someone delivering a boat there without prior permission.

Don't get me on to the story of "river police" ?

• Haha 1