Battery wiring at fault? 12v socket reading jumping.

Lady_Why

Featured Posts

Just now, WotEver said:

Yes and yes :)

Cats are always 4 stroking. That is their purpose. 

Not always. 

When I meet one in a house when fixing the boiler, they often come and stand 1mm out of reach for even one stroke. Once tempted in, they are usually 2 stroke cats then they bugger off out of reach again. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

three of four per decade DO kill themselves with their gennies

This thread is CWDF at its very best, keep it up, folks. Sorry I can’t add anything except a touch of humour:

Mike: you accuse Alan of being alarmist and then reckon the mortality from using a genny is 75%!

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oh dear, no cat pic. 

I hope @Lady_Why was just busy yesterday and is not dead. 

She is probably not dead. We know this because if you hover the mouse pointer over her forum name, a pop-up tells us she last visited the forum 2pm-ish yesterday. 

Unless it is the cat signing in!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

She is probably not dead. We know this because if you hover the mouse pointer over her forum name, a pop-up tells us she last visited the forum 2pm-ish yesterday. 

Unless it is the cat signing in!

Just tried that with yours. Its says April 20th. Are you a g̶o̶a̶t̶ ghost? 

• Haha 1

Haha, I'm alive. I had crazy busy time yesterday uploading marks for my uni. Still got a batch to do this evening. I probably opened the page in the hope that I'd be able to engage, but it never happened!

Just to add to my tale of woe, my new genny malfunctioned... (I gathered after 5 min of white smoke that it probably wasn't the right kind of genny smoke), (and no, I followed the instructions scrupulously so it's not me!). I used the engine instead and found this time that the alternator showed an input charge which was less than I had in my batteries; fool that I was, I made the bet that my multimeter was wrong and kept it running which probably means the charge went into the alternator rather than the other way around. I think I'm past weeping!

I will look upon Tony as my savior tomorrow!

And here's Horus, my one-eyed cat.

IMG_1517[1].JPG

I have no spare charger or spare battery, in fact my boat's starting circuit/battery is displaying some very odd intermittent symptoms so I could not trust that and anyway its 70 miles away.

I might take my Halfords two stage  charger but if it won't charge  that’s it.

• Greenie 1

As it happens, 1.) my newly-returned-boat-neighbour did have a bigger and shinier genny to lend me... yay!... but 2.) turns out my battery-charger does not register a current flow (amps, I'm guessing) despite voltage showing at the batteries. Unless it's perfectly normal to have volts without amps. Or my multi-meter is possessed. But it does mean there will be a genny here for Tony tomorrow so that he may observe and apply his wisdom upon my pitiful situation. 

I think I just need to know what direction to take things at this point! 

*sorry for not keeping up with info giving, Tony!