"Perfect" Handle Screwdrivers

mark99

Featured Posts

On 11/11/2018 at 13:45, gbclive said:

Continuing with the gentle topic drift (sorry Mark), can I throw Torx into the mix?

And then, of course, there is so-called Tamperproof Torx. 

Screwfix now sell boxes of woodscrews with Torx heads bug for pack the correct size bit in the box. 

A link earlier in the thread contained this:   "The set is made of stainless steel and comes with a carbide burnisher that allows you to burnish the tips of the blades to create small hooks on the edges, the same as you would with cabinet scrapers. When you are using brass screws, the small hooks bed in the brass as you apply torque, preventing the screwdriver from sliding horizontally or vertically in the screw slot."

I've never heard of this, even though my father was a joiner / cabinetmaker. Has anyone used this technique?

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Has anyone used this technique?

No. I was intruiged by that too and I’ll try it the next time I use some brass screws. Obviously it will only work on mild steel screwdrivers and not the modern hardened offerings from such as Stanley. 

21 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

A link earlier in the thread contained this:   "The set is made of stainless steel and comes with a carbide burnisher that allows you to burnish the tips of the blades to create small hooks on the edges, the same as you would with cabinet scrapers. When you are using brass screws, the small hooks bed in the brass as you apply torque, preventing the screwdriver from sliding horizontally or vertically in the screw slot."

I've never heard of this, even though my father was a joiner / cabinetmaker. Has anyone used this technique?

Depends entirely on the fit between the driver end and the screw slot.

These drivers have a parallel tip same as  the 1/4 hex drive bits, rather than the tapered tip of normal screwdrivers.

Examine the screw slot, and choose the driver that fits perfectly, all should be well.

I have a set of these, and have found that not all brass screws have standard slots, and don't think about second hand/used screws.

I've not used them enough to form an opinion, but they do look good and are comfortable to use.

As an aside, the older Perfect Pattern Handle screwdrivers are normally found with mushroomed handles, where a hammer has been used.  The patent says that the handle can be used to knock the screw in to start in harder wood.  Not designed as a pound-thru driver at all!

Earlier in the year on Ebay perfect pattern screwdrivers, were selling for more than Snap On ones!

Bod

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Depends entirely on the fit between the driver end and the screw slot.

These drivers have a parallel tip same as  the 1/4 hex drive bits, rather than the tapered tip of normal screwdrivers.

Examine the screw slot, and choose the driver that fits perfectly, all should be well.

I have a set of these, and have found that not all brass screws have standard slots, and don't think about second hand/used screws.

I've not used them enough to form an opinion, but they do look good and are comfortable to use.

As an aside, the older Perfect Pattern Handle screwdrivers are normally found with mushroomed handles, where a hammer has been used.  The patent says that the handle can be used to knock the screw in to start in harder wood.  Not designed as a pound-thru driver at all!

Earlier in the year on Ebay perfect pattern screwdrivers, were selling for more than Snap On ones!

Bod

Yiou are absolutely correct on that one. I have turned thousands of brass screws, both new and old, over the years and the one consistency seems to be that slots have become progressively wider in more recent times. Consequently I have dozens of screwdrivers with tips ground to different thicknesses to accomadate the variety of slot widths. Another feature which may surprise some people is that the slots have only been in the centre of the head since mass production was introduced, before that the slots in hand made screws were always slightly off centre.

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Another feature which may surprise some people is that the slots have only been in the centre of the head since mass production was introduced, before that the slots in hand made screws were always slightly off centre.

A feature recently introduced to cheap mass produced screws by the Chinese ?

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Haha 2

On 11/11/2018 at 08:52, Mike the Boilerman said:

As someone who uses hand screwdrivers professionally day in, day out I wouldn’t want those. Too short.  

48 minutes ago, jocave said:

The question was where to buy them in the uk..not what you would use.

Apart from which Mike is a Plumber, and the "Perfect" screwdriver is designed for cabinet work.
Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, jocave said:

The question was where to buy them in the uk..not what you would use.

Winner of "content free post of the day" award. 

55 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Apart from which Mike is a Plumber, and the "Perfect" screwdriver is designed for cabinet work.

In your humble opinion.

Anyway I'm a boiler technician not a plumber. Plumbers don't even know which end of a screwdriver to hit. 

:giggles:

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Winner of "content free post of the day" award. 

In your humble opinion.

Anyway I'm a boiler technician not a plumber. Plumbers don't even know which end of a screwdriver to hit. 

:giggles:

Perhaps you could explain why my "opinion" of the "Perfect" screwdriver being designed for cabinet work is not correct, With those handles it would not last five minutes in a plumber's toolbag.

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

Perhaps you could explain why my "opinion" of the "Perfect" screwdriver being designed for cabinet work is not correct, With those handles it would not last five minutes in a plumber's toolbag.

People use screwdrivers for things other than cabinet making. The OP said nothing about needing them for cabinet making hence my original comment that you took such exception to.

On 16/11/2018 at 15:24, mark99 said:

Bakelite "telling bone".

Talking bone, Surely?

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

"Chinese cheese".

(What far east screws are made of)

It seems most modern brass screws are made of softer alloy nowadays, I prefer buying new old stock if possible.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

It seems most modern brass screws are made of softer alloy nowadays, I prefer buying new old stock if possible.

Some are better than others, but like you, I still seek out boxes of old  brass screws at boot sales etc. I bought six (full) boxes of GKN Brass screws ranging from 2 1/2" x 10 to 3 1/2" x 14 a few years ago for £3.00 the lot, which was a real bargain. I also bought about ten boxes of smaller ones for 25p each from the same person.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

People use screwdrivers for things other than cabinet making. The OP said nothing about needing them for cabinet making hence my original comment that you took such exception to.

Fair enough, I made an assumption, and agree they would be less usefull for engineering work. I use modern plastic handled ones for that.,

• 4 months later...

resurrecting this old-ish thread.

With amazing frequency, the specific screwdriver/spanner/hammer I need at home at any specific time is at the boat and vice versa., hence I am in the market to double up on basic hand tools.   I scanned this thread eagerly hoping for a recommendation on a quality brand that is not break the bank or, even worse, all the gear, no idea level, like, say,  some of my sports kit of the past **  I am temperamentally and physically incapable of fine cabinet work, and with an engine-less narrowboat, a battery powered car and  a motorcycle, i don't need those kind of tools.  Simply standard DIY work, with some bicycle repair [which is mostly allan keys and swearing].    I don't mind paying for quality, but not at the levels of Snap On [other professional brands available].

** linking to the cycling thread... as a one time racing cyclist/cycling commuter, I am amazed at the numbers with 16 pound carbon fibre weight-weenie bikes going at 15mph covered by saddlebag-like backsides... much more cost-effective to just lay off the pies.

Edited by Wittenham
minor typo

On 11/11/2018 at 09:54, OldGoat said:

Now that makes sense - when you actually see how huge the gun market is 'over there' and the care that enthusiasts lavish on the arms - you realise that they want good quality tools to match.

I assume the best quality firearms don't use Philips heads. 

not like my chinese made kalasniknockoff