"Perfect" Handle Screwdrivers

mark99

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Now that makes sense - when you actually see how huge the gun market is 'over there' and the care that enthusiasts lavish on the arms - you realise that they want good quality tools to match.

I assume the best quality firearms don't use Philips heads. 

''Over there'' they need to use naff screwdrivers from they're Pound Shop on they're wretched guns and perhaps it'd bu--er em up. :closedeyes:

1 hour ago, DandV said:

And better still are the Robertson head, or now more commonly known as square drive. Patented in Canada and in common use there since model T Ford production. Henry Ford attempted to buy Robertson out and when rebuffed promoted the Phillips head. Now also in common use in Australasia

The Robertson headed screw is by far & away the best fastening for loosening/tightening but suffers from production costs so are limited i n use shame as the are the dogs dodars.The Moffatt cookers we have had have been fitted with them & the company suppling the 2nd one had to buy a set to install it on purchase It was a built in "jobbie"

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

As far as I know riveted flat handled screwdrivers are no longer made in the UK but are still made in Ottowa, Canada by Lee Valley Tools, and they will ship to the UK.    

Website here:-  http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70159&

screwdriver.jpg.8df9ddee22c12c1a551a6ad36d3e56df.jpg

I believe that Irwin also make ash handled ones,  but cannot find them on their site.

Just an update question, do you want these screwdrivers primarily because A: They are pretty, B: they have have parallel shafts with hollow ground tips, C: the steel shaft continues though the handle enabling them to be hit them with a hammer, or  D:  you like the flat handle?  If the latter two apply the Irwin Perfect handled screwdrivers would serve the purpose, but they are difficult to source in the UK and are exteeemly expensive., good used ones do come up on ebay from time to time. 

Edited by David Schweizer

14 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Ta will relook up Irwin. Although most seemed to be knobstick style.

Must pay attention in junk shops. Often a pile of second hand well made tools.

I have loked through all the traditional tool suppliers that I know of, and none of them seem to currently  stock the Irwin  Perfect handled screwdriver, they are available in the US, but over $100 for a set of four???  The LeeValley ones look like a better buy.  Searcing boot sales and house clearance shops is how is how I have sourced many of my "hard to find" hand tools.

I prefer traditional round boxwood handled screwdrivers fo woodworking, and only have one flat handled screwdriver in my workshop, which I use when a stubborn screw needs some percussive assistance!!! It was made something like 100 years ago by a long gone Sheffield company F. Atkison & Co.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 hours ago, gbclive said:

Continuing with the gentle topic drift (sorry Mark), can I throw Torx into the mix?

Torx seem to be quite common on sound equipment,DVD players etc where massive amounts of tightness is not required.Good system though,difficult to use wrong size so damage kept to a minimum!??

2 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

Torx seem to be quite common on sound equipment,DVD players etc where massive amounts of tightness is not required.Good system though,difficult to use wrong size so damage kept to a minimum!??

Also very handy for getting rounded Allen bolts out - hammer the appropriate size Torx into the stripped Allen head and Bob's yer uncle!

4 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

AHEM... sometimes the next size down will still turn a Torx head. 

As will hammering in an Allen key.

30 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

Thanks Ian.

I was introduced whilst fettling a dishwasher and also a Dyson vac and no appliances were hurt during the process?

21 hours ago, X Alan W said:

No more expensive to produce then any other forged head screw such as Phillips, pozidrive or socket head.

But the added cost of stocking an additional range of screws may well exceed the benifit. I must say though I found in Britain that most cross head screws on sale were pozidrive but the screwdrivers on sale were more commonly Phillips. No such confusion for square drive 

Edited by DandV

47 minutes ago, DandV said:

No more expensive to produce then any other forged head screw such as Phillips, pozidrive or socket head.

But the added cost of stocking an additional range of screws may well exceed the benifit. I must say though I found in Britain that most cross head screws on sale were pozidrive but the screwdrivers on sale were more commonly Phillips. No such confusion for square drive 

Trouble is, you need a screwdriver to undo the fixing, not the other way around!

2 hours ago, DandV said:

the screwdrivers on sale were more commonly Phillips

It depends on what and where you’re buying. If you buy a cheap set of Chinese manufactured screwdrivers from Aldi then yes, they’re likely to be Philips (and soft as butter to boot). Because that’s what is most widely used in Asia.  If you buy a decent set of British-manufactured screwdrivers then not only will they be made of hardened steel, but they’re likely to contain Pozi 1&2, Phillips 1&2, and three or four well-ground blade screwdrivers. 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:19, Mike the Boilerman said:

Philips heads are obsolete technology.

Posidrive superseded Philips back in the 70's. A superior design in every way to both Philips and plain slotted. 

Philips are widely used on Boeing aircraft