"Perfect" Handle Screwdrivers

mark99

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of far more importance in a screwdriver than the handle, is the accuracy and fit of the blade in the screw head. 

I use hollow-ground screwdrivers for all my Gun-work.

As you say it is important to get screwdrivers that both sit-in the slot correctly, and, are the correct width.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

There are currently several on eBay, but all are second-hand. Are you sure that they are still made?

Also, the preponderance of those for sale appear to be from the U.S.A. Were they American-made?

I can’t find any with riveted handles on eBay. What search term did you use?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

There are currently several on eBay, but all are second-hand. Are you sure that they are still made?

Also, the preponderance of those for sale appear to be from the U.S.A. Were they American-made?

Now that makes sense - when you actually see how huge the gun market is 'over there' and the care that enthusiasts lavish on the arms - you realise that they want good quality tools to match.

I assume the best quality firearms don't use Philips heads. 

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Will they stand up to being used as a chisel? 

Jen

Yes.  More details here:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=70159&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=1

and

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-perfect-handle-screwdriver.html

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I assume the best quality firearms don't use Philips heads. 

Philips heads are obsolete technology.

Posidrive superseded Philips back in the 70's. A superior design in every way to both Philips and plain slotted. 

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Posidrive superseded Philips back in the 70's. A superior design in every way to both Philips and plain slotted. 

There’s a lot of new kit that still uses Phillips tho...and you will bugger the screw heads using a posidrive driver on them. 

And better still are the Robertson head, or now more commonly known as square drive. Patented in Canada and in common use there since model T Ford production. Henry Ford attempted to buy Robertson out and when rebuffed promoted the Phillips head. Now also in common use in Australasia

55 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I can’t find any with riveted handles on eBay. What search term did you use?

"Perfect Handle Screwdrivers", as per the topic's heading. I wasn't sure if that was a brand or just a description.

I didn't do any rivet-counting.

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Can't seem to find a decent supplier in the uk for these.

Anyone know one?

image.png.66d19d6603941e4daeb3081190a886ae.png

As far as I know riveted flat handled screwdrivers are no longer made in the UK but are still made in Ottowa, Canada by Lee Valley Tools, and they will ship to the UK.    

Website here:-  http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70159&

screwdriver.jpg.8df9ddee22c12c1a551a6ad36d3e56df.jpg

I believe that Irwin also make ash handled ones,  but cannot find them on their site.

Edited by David Schweizer

50 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What screwdrivers do you use? and how can we tell whether a screw is Philips or Posidrive? They all look the same to me :( 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of far more importance in a screwdriver than the handle, is the accuracy and fit of the blade in the screw head. 

That is the beauty of parallel tip screwdrivers (which is what those illustrated are) the business end is hollow ground so that burnishing the tip does not alter the screw slot fitting.