aldi comfort

haza

Featured Posts

We have an 'Alde' boiler, it used to go 'bang'. I think it's when the pilot ignites the main burner after a rest. (Possibly let some gas out before the pilot sniffs it and lights it. Hense the bang.) It doesn't go bang anymore, so may well be something to do with having replaced a few bits and bobs over the past year or so. 

Someone with lots more experience than I will be along very soon to shoot me down.

3 hours ago, haza said:

this is not the first time .but why does my central heating make a awful banging noise every now and again .its that loud at times it makes me jump thanks 

Seriously loud, multiple banging noises are usually the water in the boiler actually boiling. One single bang could as Nightwatch says, be explosive ignition. Which are you getting? 

Both are potentially dangerous and need urgently fixing. 

We had an Alde gas boiler on both of our shareboats, which got a lot of use.

Towards the end of the maintenance year, the Alde boiler used to ignite with a boom. Once serviced the boiler behaved impeccably until nearing the next due service.

If you Alde boiler is booming on ignition, then it is time to get it serviced.

Edited by cuthound
Missing space

thank guys .i turn the heating on which comes on fine .but once its been on a while .it make an awful loud band every now and again .when it bangs its like someone as thrown an house brick at the boat ..i had the alde serviced meybe abt 6 months ago by some from anglo welsh

2 minutes ago, haza said:

thank guys .i turn the heating on which comes on fine .but once its been on a while .it make an awful loud band every now and again .when it bangs its like someone as thrown an house brick at the boat ..i had the alde serviced meybe abt 6 months ago by some from anglo welsh

That sounds to me like explosive ignition then. How long did this geezer from Anglo Welsh spend servicing it? It take bloomin' AGES to take out the 18 screws to get at the burner assembly, clean it all up properly and put it back together and test it. 

I'd say if he was in your boat less than an hour and a half he didn't actually service it at all. Or possibly an hour if he is experienced with them, and fast, and access to it is good and spacious (which it never is). 

I suggest getting Graham Cutmore to come and fix it. 

thanks mike great help .i did phone graham cutmore .but if i remember is circumstances had changed ..and yes the guy from anglo was here less then an hour .if you now of anyone who could have a look at it .i would be very grateful .there dont seem to be any out there who do this service ..kind regards 

Graham does still service via mail order....or he did!..it’s not hard to remove & refit the burner unit & he can give full instruction & new gaskets etc.  I thought he had someone he recommended to do mobile servicing too. Both the Alde’s I’ve had...which are/were serviced regularly...have always made a whummph sound when they fire up....

I'm with the 'whumpers' - the Alde gets lit before we emerge from the nice warm pit and I know its time to get up when it starts to 'cycle'.  Listen carefully and you can hear a quiet 'click' as the thermocouple cuts off the gas to the main burner (presumably meaning the water locally is up to temperature).  Once that cools a bit the main gas valve will open again and the gas will be relit by the pilot.  Mine makes a whump rather than a bang so maybe you have a weedy pilot flame and the gas takes a while to spark its interest (see what I did there?).