Winterising diesel

Featured Posts

I've got a couple of 5 gallon diesel kegs currently on the front deck of the boat.  Having read on here recently that diesel doesn't like the cold too much, would it be better moving them inside the boat as the temp drops to freezing?  The boat won't get used again till March and there's no heating on board.

It would be better to consume the diesel before it goes off. Although I appreciate that may not be an immediate option.

I would probably take them home rather than leave them on display and be at risk of disappearing.

Petrol is certainlt going of quicker - I noticed my lawnmower ran much better on fresh petrol  after first using  petrol a few months old.

Diesel is going the same way since it became low sulphur and probably having ever increasing biodiesel in it.

I got diesel wax in the webasto filter (high up under the stern deck) last year, it was soft and didn't melt at 10 degrees centigrade, had to manually scrape away. I was told it is very like paraffin wax used for candles and the melting point is over 30 degrees,.

51 minutes ago, Detling said:

I got diesel wax in the webasto filter (high up under the stern deck) last year, it was soft and didn't melt at 10 degrees centigrade, had to manually scrape away. I was told it is very like paraffin wax used for candles and the melting point is over 30 degrees,.

Had you been using any fuel additive?

RCR found similar and it even pulled filter could down the body. When they had it and the emulsion they also found in the tank the lad said it was probably an interaction between FAME and the additive so not normal waxing. I have the report and photos but as they are RCR's property I had better not post them in full but will post a photo of the filter that looks clean.

Image Copyright River Canal Rescue Ltd.

filter.jpg.0b69dc05d27337e9a3c4c4a834c79ef6.jpg

4 minutes ago, artleknock said:

If you have to use diesel in low tempratures mix it with one third kerosene, stops it from waxing.

That was in the handbook of a mk1 Mondeo I had.

Maybe fine for low tech boat engines, but don’t do it for common rail engines vehicles as you may damage the fuel pump and you won’t get much change out of a grand to replace.

9 hours ago, yabasayo said:

I recall seeing lorry drivers lighting fires under their fuel tanks years ago. 

Yep, you’d see it in lay-bys up and down the country on a winter’s morning. 

On 11/11/2018 at 15:40, artleknock said:

If you have to use diesel in low tempratures mix it with one third kerosene, stops it from waxing.

That was in the handbook of a mk1 Mondeo I had.

Well if any of us wake up to find it's a chilly winter's morn in 1993, we now know what to do! :D