Poppies being released from the top of Anderton Boat Lift

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

I missed that one. Worth a listen then? 

I think so but it's all subjective innit. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We have a bat lives in the ringing room at Great Bedwyn. 

That's a nice part of the country 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once in a while he/she sets off and flies around in amongst the ropes while we are ringing.

WAY more distracting than you can possibly imagine!!

Sounds tasty. :D

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I never trust wildlife.....

Anyway I bet you're making that up!

Oh no, wildlife trusts take the manhandling of bats very seriously imagine what they would do if some one was tumshing around monching them. :D

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Oh no, wildlife trusts take the manhandling of bats very seriously imagine what they would do if some one was tumshing around monching them. :D

Nothing, if they don't know about it. 

I won't tell them.... 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

22 Faiths (Religious Leaders) were represented at the Cenotaph today, everything from Humanists, to Mormons to Muslims etc etc (many I'd never heard of)

but did they speak or just march past. It is my view that nowadays all the major faiths should be given an active part, not juts be allowed to attend.

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The half-muffled certainly seems to portray a combination of the living (non-muffled) and the dead (muffled) and is wonderful for such as today.

For those wondering what 'half muffled' is...

The clapper on a bell hits the bell on one side, then the next blow as the bell swings the other way is on the opposite side. 'Half-muffling' is when a leather pad is fitted to one side of the clapper but not the other. This means the first row of bells-rings you hear are normal, sharp rings but the second row of rings you hear is muffled. Then the next row of blows is normal, then then next muffled etc etc.

This is a very haunting sound, reserved for sombre occasions and very rarely recorded. I heard half-muffled bells on the radio last night however, for anyone interested. They were played at the start of the R4 programme "Something Understood" at about 11.30pm last night. Here's a link from BBC iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00013hm

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

but did they speak or just march past. It is my view that nowadays all the major faiths should be given an active part, not juts be allowed to attend.

They came out after the politicians  from the F&C portal, and lined up in formation, it was all very respectful to their faiths. There were dozens of them, minor faiths, though I did not hear The Wee Free being called out by J Dimbleby [commentating].

PS there was a distinct shortage of poppies in Toytown, don't know if anyone else had this problem on Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They came out after the politicians  from the F&C portal, and lined up in formation, it was all very respectful to their faiths. There were dozens of them, minor faiths, though I did not hear The Wee Free being called out by J Dimbleby [commentating].

PS there was a distinct shortage of poppies in Toytown, don't know if anyone else had this problem on Saturday or Sunday.

And so it should be but that was just one event, what about the Festival of Remembrance or the Westminster Abbey event. No place I could see for non-Christians to do anything other than attend if they got tickets.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And so it should be but that was just one event, what about the Festival of Remembrance or the Westminster Abbey event. No place I could see for non-Christians to do anything other than attend if they got tickets.

Westminster Abbey, that's C of E, is it not, therefore no self-respecting [insert certain other faiths here] would go inside that particular Royal Peculiar church.  

Edited by LadyG

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:19, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm ringing a quarter peal tomorrow morning at Little Bedwyn in honour of bellringers who fell. I shall add in working boatmen.

Sadly, we have but a single fixed bell with a rope pulling the clapper, so we can't really do much in campanological terms.

We did, however join the nationwide ringing at 12:30 yesterday with our single bell (in preference to putting out the recorded peal of bells).

As the clapper only strikes one side, we can't ring half muffled, so we rang yesterday without muffles, as the spontaneous ringing 100 years ago was to celebrate the armistice. In contrast, back in August 2014, we rang fully muffled to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We have a bat lives in the ringing room at Great Bedwyn. 

Once in a while he/she sets off and flies around in amongst the ropes while we are ringing.

WAY more distracting than you can possibly imagine!!

Interesting. Never heard ropes ringing before.

The bells, the bells, they give me the hump!!

Don't know Quasimodo, but his face rings a bell!

sorry, can't resist the old ones.

Edited by Nightwatch