Poppies being released from the top of Anderton Boat Lift

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

On 09/11/2018 at 23:19, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm ringing a quarter peal tomorrow morning at Little Bedwyn in honour of bellringers who fell. I shall add in working boatmen.

Just to confirm, we got the quarter peal on out second attempt. Recorded this afternoon on bellboard as being for Armistice day and for the war contribution by boat people.

We rang half muffled, 1,260 changes of Plain Bob Doubles in 46 minutes.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add more detail
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Probably because of the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1 it seems to me that there's lots of towns and villages throughout the country embracing Armistice this year. Quite right too.

i have to confess, I do get a little emotional when I think of 'the lads' in the Navy, doing their bit in the Falklands. As I knew the ships, the layouts and so on, I can imagine the banter, the encouragement from elders to younguns and the fear of being below hearing to booms, bangs and whizzes  of guns firing and missiles launching and of course incoming. Someone shouting 'Brace,brace brace when  incoming can be seem from the bridge. The organised chaotic response from getting hit, damage control and firefighting, all to save your oppos and your home. Still gets me today.

i watched a film clip on telly last night. Trench warfare at its worse. Hundreds of guys waiting for the whistle. Whistle blows and everyone to a man, climb out into no mans land into a hail of bullets. Absolute madness and bravery. What always gets me is that we didn't know better. The enemy knew when we were to attack and were always ready for us. Awful stuff. 

I will, and always will, have deep thoughts at 11.00 o'clock on 11th month. We shouldn't need war. We don't need war. 

Thats me done.

An oppo of mine was killed in the Falklands. Could easily have been me but I had swopped that uniform for another in 1979 so I was no longer on a warship. Remembrance on tv now.

• Greenie 1

I had just left the Birmingham so was having a bit of shoretime. Fortunately didn't go south. I say fortunately, but there's a teeny bit of me that wouldn't have minded. 

I know of three people that are still serving down there. Not best mates but I knew them.

The Albert Hall 'get together' was really good tonight. It's format has been changed, I think, for the better.

Going to try to find a 'get together' tomorrow in Banbury.

• Happy 1

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just to confirm, we got the quarter peal on out second attempt. Recorded this afternoon on bellboard as being for Armistice day and for the war contribution by boat people.

We rang half muffled, 1,050 changes of Plain Bob Doubles in 46 minutes.

They don’t seem to do “organised campanology” in France but this morning, and for the first time since we have been here, the church bells were rung out for 15 minutes, including the Glas, or death knell, while we all stood. This was in response to  Clémonceau, who at the end of the War, decreed that all church bells in France should ring out to announce the end, at last, to hostilities. By the way, in the UK you wear poppies, in France it is cornflowers.

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleuet_de_France

Edited by Stilllearning

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

They don’t seem to do “organised campanology” in France but this morning, and for the first time since we have been here, the church bells were rung out for 15 minutes, including the Glas, or death knell, while we all stood. This was in response to  Clémonceau, who at the end of the War, decreed that all church bells in France should ring out to announce the end, at last, to hostilities.

I'm pretty sure in France they don't do 'full circle' bell hanging so ringing in patterns where the bells constantly change sequence is not possible. I suspect what you are hearing is 'chiming', where the bells are just swung back and forth. Have a goggle for full circle ringing for a proper, detailed explanation. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm pretty sure in France they don't do 'full circle' bell hanging so ringing in patterns where the bells constantly change sequence is not possible. I suspect what you are hearing is 'chiming', where the bells are just swung back and forth. Have a goggle for full circle ringing for a proper, detailed explanation. 

Thank you for giving me the correct word. Yes, the bells chimed for 15 minutes today, with the deep sombre tones of the Glas which we normally only hear during a funeral.

We attended the event at the Anderton lift which had the Danny and a couple of narrow boats in attendance and while it was very well attended by folk on foot and in cars there are only about four narrow boat here. I was a bit disappointed that there were no spoken words to mark the occasion and we just all remembered in our own way. To me it was just a view of releasing poppies without a lot of significance. It was perhaps just me but I felt it lacked any relevance to armistice day. 

Haggis 

22 minutes ago, haggis said:

We attended the event at the Anderton lift which had the Danny and a couple of narrow boats in attendance and while it was very well attended by folk on foot and in cars there are only about four narrow boat here. I was a bit disappointed that there were no spoken words to mark the occasion and we just all remembered in our own way. To me it was just a view of releasing poppies without a lot of significance. It was perhaps just me but I felt it lacked any relevance to armistice day. 

Haggis 

That sounds a bit disappointing.  A missed opportunity to tie a major international event in with a waterways attraction but perhaps CRT didn't want it to be seen as a publicity stunt.

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We rang half muffled, 1,260 changes of Plain Bob Doubles in 46 minutes.

Mike, I was just wondering if there was any way to access this recording is it on YouTube or some where else - bearing in mind some of us don't have facebook. It would be really nice to hear. ?

Edited by Tumshie

I do not wish to detract from the remembrance but why, in this multicultural society were all the religious and semi-religious aspects basically Christian. We know lots of Sheiks, Muslims, Jews and those of eastern religions fought so why could their religious leaders not have had a role? No wonder some Muslims seem to have difficulty in thinking the UK is their home and values them.

28 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Mike, I was just wondering if there was any way to access this recording is it on YouTube or some where else - bearing in mind some of us don't have facebook. It would be really nice to hear. ?

Ah... I've been a leeetle bit misleading with my comment about it being recorded on bellboard. Bellboard is a ringers site where the details all successful attempts at peals and quarter peals are collated and published. No actual audio recordings of the peals are usually made! Peals and quarter peals have to be arithmetically correct. Even if years later a peal is found to be 'false' (i.e. a row is duplicated or in the wrong place, say) all record of is expunged from the, err... record.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah... I've been a leeetle bit misleading with my comment about it being recorded on bellboard. Bellboard is a ringers site where the details all successful attempts at peals and quarter peals are collated and published. No actual audio recordings of the peals are usually made! Peals and quarter peals have to be arithmetically correct. Even if years later a peal is found to be 'false' (i.e. a row is duplicated or in the wrong place, say) all record of is expunged from the, err... record.

Did ye not record it on your i-thngy for our pleasure? 

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah... I've been a leeetle bit misleading with my comment about it being recorded on bellboard.

Not necessarily - just me not quite understanding what you meant. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. Listening to bells ringing is bloody tedious. Apparently!

I suppose it's possibly not some thing that most people rush out to buy on CD ? but my grandfather was a bellringer so it was some thing that I grew up with but isn't done as much up here, I rather miss it. ?

Edited by Tumshie

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Tubular bells was ok, although i preferred ommadawn. 

I never listened to either. It never felt like Richard Branson was a real hippy. Seemed too avaricious to me even back then. Time will tell, I thought, and it did. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

but isn't done as much up here, I rather miss it. ?

Really? I always imagined you living up in a cold a draughty belfry somewhere, catching and eating the bats for nourishment.

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I do not wish to detract from the remembrance but why, in this multicultural society were all the religious and semi-religious aspects basically Christian. We know lots of Sheiks, Muslims, Jews and those of eastern religions fought so why could their religious leaders not have had a role? No wonder some Muslims seem to have difficulty in thinking the UK is their home and values them.

22 Faiths (Religious Leaders) were represented at the Cenotaph today, everything from Humanists, to Mormons to Muslims etc etc (many I'd never heard of)

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Tubular bells was ok, although i preferred ommadawn. 

I like Tubular Bells but I prefer the return to Ommadawn to the first one.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? I always imagined you living up in a cold a draughty belfry somewhere

Funny you should say that I really did. 

Edited by Tumshie