Mouse in roof void?

Featured Posts

I had what I thought were mice, or a mouse. A professional pest guy gave me some blue tablets to leave in various places. He said it was much more powerful than the stuff you can buy over the counter.

Took a while, (to the point where I didn’t think it was working), but the noises stopped and I’ve heard nothing since.

Edited by Richard10002

Not uncommon. Trap the thing as soon as you can for the sake of insulation, electrics and plastic plumbing (if fitted.) Saw a plastic pipe recently from a house where rodents had attacked it. I used to think plastic pipe was the dog's, but I would never use it again on another boat.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Splatt the bloomin thing!!  Little nipper traps are best.

This ^ just got one that moved into the cratch/well deck used peanut butter as well, although dried apricots work well.

I also dealt with a large rat during the summer, it wasn't bothering me but a neighbour was having the vapours, baited for a week with peanut butter and got it with an air rifle

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Borrow a cat! Seriously. Mice get very worried when they can smell a cat around and will want to be elsewhere. My sister had a problem with mice in the attic of their house. Borrowed my elderly, arthritic, non-hunting cat for a couple of weeks lazing on the sofa and the mice moved out.

Jen

A younger and more energetic cat will be more proactive, but will leave you clearing up bits of mouse corpse off the floor.

I would second this.   I had a friend running a pub the building of which dated back until at least the 1400s.  He had a mouse problem.  He got a cat and swore that as the cat came through the front door the mice were leaving by the back door.

40 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would second this.   I had a friend running a pub the building of which dated back until at least the 1400s.  He had a mouse problem.  He got a cat and swore that as the cat came through the front door the mice were leaving by the back door.

I know an old lady who embarked on this line of action after swallowing a fly.  Next thing is you'll need a dog to catch the cat and it just escalates from there. She died in the end when it got as far as a horse, so I'd recommend living with the mouse as a better option.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I know an old lady who embarked on this line of action after swallowing a fly.  Next thing is you'll need a dog to catch the cat and it just escalates from there. She died in the end when it got as far as a horse, so I'd recommend living with the mouse as a better option.

please sensible answer only

Oi! Can't you guys read? The above was very clear in post #1!

Seriously, you're seriously offending us serious folk! ;)

Oi, Mr Dawg, can't you read?

Seriously, you're offending us unserious folk who are on the road to recovery to be more serious.

Do it again, I'll put a rat down ya flue pipe!

Mice have to eat little and often, and will eat pretty much anything that a human will, so all food should be enclosed in metal or glass, or in a fridge/cupboard they can't get into, and all crumbs etc. should be promptly got rid of; they're tiny, they can live off tiny amounts of food.

Having done that, offer some food in a mousetrap (I've used chocolate) and they'll go for it. Unless you want the bother of keeping a cat which will probably scare the mouse off, I think a conventional spring trap is actually the most humane way. It makes a mess of the head but it does it very quickly. If you trap a mouse alive, it'll slowly starve to death unless released. There you'll be on your boat in the middle of the night, needing to get dressed and go on a long walk before you let the mouse go, otherwise it might return to you if it can climb your mooring line. I had one of those traps once and the instructions said to release the mouse at least half a mile from the house, they are good at finding their way home.

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Burl Ives.

Yeah, but everyone else was having such fun and I'd done more than my bit for the serious folk...

Fairy nuff. I will hang fire on the rat.

Just now, Tumshie said:

And it's all going to end with somebody with a horse sat on the roof of their boat ?

As long as it ain't a unicorn wiv lady g o diver!(too cold this time of year)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Mice have to eat little and often, and will eat pretty much anything that a human will, so all food should be enclosed in metal or glass, or in a fridge/cupboard they can't get into

The rat on Fulbourne chewed its way through the fridge insulation and plastic liner and also gnawed away at finger holes in locker tops to create an opening large enough to get through.

5 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Mice have to eat little and often, and will eat pretty much anything that a human will, so all food should be enclosed in metal or glass, or in a fridge/cupboard they can't get into, and all crumbs etc. should be promptly got rid of; they're tiny, they can live off tiny amounts of food.

Having done that, offer some food in a mousetrap (I've used chocolate) and they'll go for it. Unless you want the bother of keeping a cat which will probably scare the mouse off, I think a conventional spring trap is actually the most humane way. It makes a mess of the head but it does it very quickly. If you trap a mouse alive, it'll slowly starve to death unless released. There you'll be on your boat in the middle of the night, needing to get dressed and go on a long walk before you let the mouse go, otherwise it might return to you if it can climb your mooring line. I had one of those traps once and the instructions said to release the mouse at least half a mile from the house, they are good at finding their way home.

Alternatively, have a really bad diet including lots of processed foods and red meat. The mouse, being smaller than a human, will grow seriously obese, get type 2 diabetes, furred arteries, etc, much quicker and snuff it. After that, a couple of weeks as a vegan will put things back on track for a long and healthy mouse-free life.

• Haha 1

Alternatively, have a really bad diet including lots of processed foods and red meat. The mouse, being smaller than a human, will grow seriously obese, get type 2 diabetes, furred arteries, etc, much quicker and snuff it. After that, a couple of weeks as a vegan will put things back on track for a long and healthy mouse-free life.

Plus your mouse will have died happy. ?

When I hear mention of humane mouse traps it reminds me of an incident which amused the residents of our village for a while. An upmarket group of houses had been build on what was an uncultivated field where small rodents and other wildlife lived. The houses were sold mainly to "city folk" who had little knowledge of the countryside but seemed keen to learn. The first winter the field mice moved from the wood across the road back into their field where they found nice dry places to live. The house holders, with their new country ways, set humane traps and we used to see then trotting across the road to let the mice go in the wood. The mice promptly moved back to the houses where they were caught again..  This went on for a while till gradually the householders twigged and they stopped being so kind to the mice.  We had tried to tell them but they thought we were being cruel :-) . They and us have a chuckle about humane mouse traps from time to time.

haggis

• Haha 1