Stiff lock gates and paddles

Geoff_777

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Is this still the current arrangement?  (We have not been that way in years).

It's not. There is only the nearside paddle now so no need to go to the opposite side.  There is a picture on Canalplanac site but it has a copyright so I haven't copied it here.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

If somebody would tell me the right sort of stuff to plaster all over the mechanism in such a way that every user gets a bit, I would be happy to buy some and bestow it amongst the ironmongery as I pass.

Castrol GTX would be fine.

And the evocative smell would be wonderful!

1 hour ago, philjw said:

It's not. There is only the nearside paddle now so no need to go to the opposite side.  There is a picture on Canalplanac site but it has a copyright so I haven't copied it here.

I think is is perfectly in order to post a link to a copyrighted photo. You just can't post it uncredited, or pretend it is your own.

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually I'm intrigued by the above picture, as it appears Ian is standing on some kind of board that allows you to cross the lock, but nothing was provided to hang on to.

Presumably you were actually supposed to use the bridge?

Is this still the current arrangement?  (We have not been that way in years).

From memory there is only one paddle at each end now, so no need to cross the gate. I did, to take a photograph, but came back over the bridge as I hadn't enjoyed crossing a gate with no footboard or hand rail. The bridge is not intended for canal use, but climbing the fence to get at it was the lesser of two evils 

11 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

If somebody would tell me the right sort of stuff to plaster all over the mechanism in such a way that every user gets a bit, I would be happy to buy some and bestow it amongst the ironmongery as I pass.

Any would be better than rust & corrosion,I doubt if they are up to a specified product, cheapest would work but with the modern way of thinking & legislation I guess you'll have to put up crap maintained gear In some ways the modern world has become a sad place, if the restoration guys gals of the 50/60s had been required to conform to today's thinking I don't think you folk presently boating would have had the amount/choice of routes

• Greenie 1

I can't help thinking that the whole business of a lock wouldn't be allowed to be invented these days.

Trip hazards, unfenced drops, deep water, finger traps etc etc.

ETA The stiffest paddle mechanism we've come across was on the new bit of the Droitwich. I think it was the nearside bottom paddle on the staircase.

Edited by Victor Vectis

5 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

An old mate of mine always used to have an old washing up bottle full of old engine oil for squirting in the oil hole on paddle gear, proper recycling, but I supposed it would now be frowned on.

I once suggested that someone on here moaning about rusty paddle gear got their oilcan out and oiled it. I got roundly pilloried for such an outrageous suggestion.

But this is just what I do. And I use new engine oil!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I once suggested that someone on here moaning about rusty paddle gear got their oilcan out and oiled it. I got roundly pilloried for such an outrageous suggestion.

But you can afford to own and run 3 boats!................

Edited by alan_fincher

57 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If every poster on this forum adopted a lock and kept it oiled and tidy, what difference would it make?

The local volunteer group would get their noses put out of joint and you would probably be issued with a cease and desist notice.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I reckon this is what we should be using, if it does what it says on the tin. ?

https://www.locksdirect.co.uk/abus-ps88-lock-lubricant/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoJrfBRC0ARIsANqkS_486ictWXeWliMvvjsz10L75Vksk9ITyvsgrqs4hn0WOlOxWOlEZ0QaAghKEALw_wcB

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But you can afford to own and run 3 boats!................

When Richard Branson was once asked how one becomes a millionaire, he is said to have advised to first become a billionaire, then buy an airline. I think the answer to how to become skint might be first to buy a boat, then buy another! Another 2 ought to really get the job done... ;)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

When Richard Branson was once asked how one becomes a millionaire, he is said to have advised to first become a billionaire, then buy an airline. I think the answer to how to become skint might be first to buy a boat, then buy another! Another 2 ought to really get the job done... ;)

How true. I'm on the long glide down into bankruptcy, its a race to stave it off for as long as I can. If I get it right I'll run out of physical fitness about the same time as I lose the race. 

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A mate of mine uses Chainsaw BAR OIL he reckons it stays on better  As the "Seffle "was total loss oiling I used to use that it was slightly discoloured but OK