Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

UK Silly Village/Place Name Competition

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Athy said:

This reminds me that in Yorks there is a Grimethorpe, not a place for clean-living people, I suspect.

I went to Grimethorpe  a few years ago and a bigger dump I have never been to (It was well after the colliery closure), I can only hope that it has improved!

On 12/11/2018 at 19:30, tree monkey said:

How about 

Cholmondeley

More a pronunciation issue than outright silliness 

If anyone finds a black ally windlass below the tail end of that lock, it's mine!

(And I can't pronounce it either)

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

Grimethorpe was used for the pit village scenes in the film 'Brassed Off'.

The pit top and office scenes were filmed at Hatfield.

(That is the Hatfield to the NE of Doncaster, and not Hatfield as in Hatfield and the North)

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:20, Jerra said:

Torpenhow is hill hill hill for similar reasons.  Tor = hill         I forget the language for each

Pen = hill as in Penrith = Red  Hill  Those who know penrtih will know the beacon hill - red sandstone

How = hill

So good they named it three-times ?

Or was it just so the Celts, the Danes and the Saxons all knew it was a 'Hill' ?

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So good they named it three-times ?

Or was it just so the Celts, the Danes and the Saxons all knew it was a 'Hill' ?

As I said I can't remember the different waves of invaders but your suggestion is probably correct or very near the mark.

On 13/11/2018 at 16:36, Athy said:

To the Monner born? Do you know the origin of the word?

I think it derives from Mon (which mean's man in the Black Country).  Obviously Droitwich isn't in the Black Country but there's always been a lot of cross-pollination between the Black Country and rural Worcestershire for hop picking etc.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

Croesyceiliog always makes me smile. It means Cocks (as in cockrel) crossing.

How about Masham ( Home of Black Sheep Brewery)- Masam to the locals.

Howard